Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2003, 11:26 AM

I have just seen this on two other groups... I do not think it is a joke but I have no positive confirmation of it right now... We will find out soon if it is true, I am sure.

If it is... THREE CHEERS FOR NCL... I hope it all works as planned!!! Until we find out for sure, I am holding my breath as I simply cannot believe this! I wrote an April Fool's joke about such a scenario only a couple of weeks ago !

NCL acquires United States, Independence
14/4/2003

In a startling move, Norwegian Cruise Line has acquired the vintage ocean liner S/S United States as well as the S/S Independence and plans to refurbish both ships for cruise operations.
NCL said it will convert the 1950-built United States into a modern vessel that will likely offer mainland US itineraries ‘where cruise products are currently not available.’ The refurbishment of the hull and superstructure will be done at US shipyards with the outfitting completed overseas.

‘The ship is a classic, she was built in America and is eligible to operate in domestic service under existing law and regulation,’ said NCL president and ceo Colin Veitch. ‘The S/S United States would be a phenomenal addition to our US flag operation down the road.’ Veitch said NCL remains focused on completing Project America for Hawaii, ‘but we will now organize a project team to work with US yards, naval engineers and architects to develop plans for what should be the fourth vessel in our US flagged fleet.’

On her maiden voyage, the United States set an unbroken record by crossing the North Atlantic Ocean in three days, 10 hours and 42 minutes. Her service speed exceeded 35 knots and she was rumored to be capable of 50 knots.

NCL also said it had purchased the Independence from the US Maritime Administration at auction, saving her from almost certain scrapping. The company said the potential addition of the Independence as a fifth vessel in its US-flag operation is being evaluated.
Old 04-14-2003, 11:26 AM

I have just seen this on two other groups... I do not think it is a joke but I have no positive confirmation of it right now... We will find out soon if it is true, I am sure.

If it is... THREE CHEERS FOR NCL... I hope it all works as planned!!! Until we find out for sure, I am holding my breath as I simply cannot believe this! I wrote an April Fool's joke about such a scenario only a couple of weeks ago !

NCL acquires United States, Independence
14/4/2003

In a startling move, Norwegian Cruise Line has acquired the vintage ocean liner S/S United States as well as the S/S Independence and plans to refurbish both ships for cruise operations.
NCL said it will convert the 1950-built United States into a modern vessel that will likely offer mainland US itineraries ‘where cruise products are currently not available.’ The refurbishment of the hull and superstructure will be done at US shipyards with the outfitting completed overseas.

‘The ship is a classic, she was built in America and is eligible to operate in domestic service under existing law and regulation,’ said NCL president and ceo Colin Veitch. ‘The S/S United States would be a phenomenal addition to our US flag operation down the road.’ Veitch said NCL remains focused on completing Project America for Hawaii, ‘but we will now organize a project team to work with US yards, naval engineers and architects to develop plans for what should be the fourth vessel in our US flagged fleet.’

On her maiden voyage, the United States set an unbroken record by crossing the North Atlantic Ocean in three days, 10 hours and 42 minutes. Her service speed exceeded 35 knots and she was rumored to be capable of 50 knots.

NCL also said it had purchased the Independence from the US Maritime Administration at auction, saving her from almost certain scrapping. The company said the potential addition of the Independence as a fifth vessel in its US-flag operation is being evaluated.
Old 04-14-2003, 11:45 AM

It is now on the NCL site here...

Three cheers for NCL... I hope it happens... And NCL... While you're at it... No Freestyle please? At least on one of them ?
Old 04-14-2003, 01:01 PM

It is posted on the NCL web site that they have purchased these two ships. I do hope they get them sailing again.

I loved cruising on the Independence my favorite ship.

I would love to cruise on the United States. I have purchased books on her and I have a model of her. I just got my renewel for my membership in the United States foundation last week.

I will definately be cruising with NCL if they get these two ladies going again.
Old 04-14-2003, 04:50 PM

Hi Doug,

I'm shocked to say the least - in a positive way that is.

Let's hope this works as planned. Oh my god...

Best regards,

Raoul Fiebig
Das Ruderhaus

Raoul Fiebig

Old 04-14-2003, 08:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Raoul Fiebig:
Hi Doug,

I'm shocked to say the least - in a positive way that is.

Let's hope this works as planned. Oh my god...

I agree.

I have heard though that the National Trust will be extensively involved in the external refurbishment - a sign that at the least, they may keep some semblance of her original profile.

I have had a wild thought - could the third foreign-built ship for the US flag be NORWAY? If she only sailed in Hawaii and never called at foreign ports she would not have to comply with SOLAS ...

I would never have thought of such a thing before but with today's news I feel nothing is impossible .
Old 04-15-2003, 02:14 AM

Hi Doug,

I've thought about this, as well. I'm very sure they won't use "Norwegian Star" - that would be a waste of valuable resources, as they urgently need a large (and fast) ship in the Caribbean. Also, the "Star's" speed would be useless in Hawaii without calling at Fanning Island.

I agree with you, nothing seems to be impossible now.

Let's remember this is not the first cruise line planning to return the Big U to service - but it's the first line that has the capability of doing so.

I still cannot believe it - it simply sounds too good to be true!

Best regards,

Raoul Fiebig
Das Ruderhaus

Raoul Fiebig

Old 04-15-2003, 01:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Raoul Fiebig:
I've thought about this, as well. I'm very sure they won't use "Norwegian Star" - that would be a waste of valuable resources, as they urgently need a large (and fast) ship in the Caribbean. Also, the "Star's" speed would be useless in Hawaii without calling at Fanning Island.

I agree with you 100% on that count.

NCL's own brand is in very bad need of newer and more modern tonnage. Ships like WIND, DREAM, MAJESTY, etc., simply cannot compete in today's market. They are not old enough to be classics but are dull and low-quality compared with virtually all competition.

I know using NORWAY as a US-flag ship is a long shot, but in this atmosphere, I really do not think anything can be ruled out.

You have to applaud NCL (never a favorite of mine) for having the ambition to embark on projects like this!

Closed Thread