Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2008, 07:38 PM

My husband and I are taking our first cruise in May to Bermuda.We are on the Norwegian Dawn and leave NYC on 05/11. Anyone out there that can give this first time cruiser advice or suggestions.

Thanks,
Old 03-23-2008, 09:35 PM
Banned

The best advice I can give is to not sweet the small stuff. Go expecting to have a great cruise, you'll have a great cruise.

The Dawn is one of NCL's best, so you made a great choice.

Tips:
1) Don't forget your papers. Have a passport, or driver's license and birth certificate handy when embarking.
2) Pack lightly. The Dawn has self service laundrymats, so you really don't need to pack for 7 days and nights of clothes.
3) You have to get reservations for the specialty restaurants, but not for the main restaurants. The food is served in small portions, so either order every course, or you can order two entrees if you wish.
4) You don't have to go ashore at every port. The ship is far less crowded on port days, you almost have the entire ship for yourself.
5) There will be chair hogs, line breakers, constant complainers, loud and drunk passengers aboard. Expect your fellow passengers will often be rude. Let them be, just walk away from them.
6) Expect the crew to try to sell you more things. They know they have a captive audience. Remember, you don't have to buy anything you don't want.
7) Last, and most important, have fun!
Old 03-24-2008, 05:29 AM
Administrator

Hi Janet, and welcome to cruise-chat.com!

We've cruised to Bermuda several times, mostly on NCL, in fact. On your cruise, you'll be in King's Wharf on the western part of Bermuda. It's not a bad location, but not in the middle of everything, either. Yet, it's convenient by public bus or ferry to beaches, the city of Hamilton (shopping!), the town of St. George (history), and many other attractions.

So -- my first piece of advice is to buy a 3-day bus/ferry pass that will give you unlimited rides. Last time I was there, this was payable in cash. These should be set up in one of the Tourist offices when you get off the ship.

Second piece of advice if this is your first time to Bermuda -- NCL offers (or used to offer) a wonderful 5-hour tour of Bermuda. If this is available on your cruise, I highly recommend it to "get the lay of the land." I'd also suggest doing it as early as possible.

Other than that, let me know what interests you and I can make some additional recommendations.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:11 AM

If you don't mind, what is your age and do you have an aversion to riding/driving a scooter? My wife and I were there 2 years ago. We are in our mid 40's. We don't ride motorcycles at home but I rode when I was a kid. Lots of people HIGHLY reccomended that we not rent a scooter. We did and we had a blast. You can see so much more on your own in much better time than the bus can take you. One day we took the scooter on the ferry from Hamilton to Kings Warf and toured the whole way back to the ship on small back roads. If there were impatient people behind us we would always pull over at the bus stops to let them go by, and all was well. It took my wife a little bit to get use to riding on the back, but got that pretty quick. On our last day on the island anybody that didn't have a scooter didn't have enough time to get off the boat and to any beaches by bus. We had the most beautiful rocky beaches all to our selves. Have a wonderful time on one of the most beautiful islands.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:16 PM
Janet-We love the Dawn and will be doing Bermuda on her in October. She is one of the greats and one of the few ships wherein you will meet multiple numbers of repeat cruisers! She is one of our favorite ships!

Bon Voyage,

BillyBuzzy
Old 03-31-2008, 12:18 PM

Janet,
Thanks for your question. The replies are a help to me also. I am going on the same cruise May 25th and it is my first cruise.
I will keep checking back for additional info.
Thanks again to all.
Linda
Old 04-03-2008, 05:33 PM

Hi Janet,my husband and I are sailing with you our second cruise, first with NCL I know all the questions you have being your first cruise but don't worry just have a great time everything seems to fall into place once you sail we booked a Ocean veiw room on deck 5 in the middle of the ship,My husband gets sea sick and had a bad first night on our first cruise so we were told to get a room in the middle hope it works out!Well hope to hear from you if I can be of any help to you please ask away Vita
Old 04-03-2008, 07:32 PM
Vita- Take some Ginger Root Tablets with you on the cruise (Good Idea to start taking them a day ahead of time) and much on the green apples at the Buffet from time to time-they work wonders for sick stomachs!

Bon Voyage,

BillyBuzzy
Old 04-04-2008, 06:42 AM

Hi BillyBuzzy,thanks for the tip I never heard about the Ginger root tablets I'll pick them up. Vita
Old 04-04-2008, 09:54 AM
Vita, I just had to say Hi! My wife's name is Vita too and I've only met one other. So hello, and welcome to cruise-chat.

Rick

Closed Thread

Tags
beaches, bermuda, burmuda, cruise, dawn, easily, expect, great, ncl, norwegian, pack, pay, taking, time, tips