Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Norwegian Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/norwegian-cruise-line/)
-   -   Early Disembarkation in Miami (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/norwegian-cruise-line/13624-early-disembarkation-miami.html)

KL Smith 10-17-2008 01:09 PM

We are arriving back in Miami on a Friday next month (Nov) after a short 4 day cruise aboard the NCL Sky. The official itenerary says it docks at 8:00 AM, however every cruise I have ever been on it seems more likely they will dock a little earlier. We are Canadian so we will also have to go through Immigration screening.

We have a domestic flight out of MIA on Delta leaving at 11:11 AM to Buffalo, NY. If we ask for early walk-off disembarkation, do you feel we'll be fine for getting to the airport in time?

Thanks for any help.

Berick1234 10-17-2008 02:10 PM

It's a close call....It's only a 20 minute or so ride to the airport if you can get a cab out right away....a lot depends on how long it takes to get thru customs for you....on my last cruise they were very very critical and people did miss their flights....You can get off right away when they do release the ship...but you have to carry off all of your own luggage..I would double check if the express departure is offered to non-USA cruisers....Happy cruising..

Bob E

LHT28 10-17-2008 02:21 PM

Our ship was not cleared until 9am this year... we docked about 7:30 suppose to dock at 6am
Then the line for the non-U.S. citizens, crew etc...took till about 9am.
Our ship only had 700 pax + crew so it would be tight I would book one later in the day if you can

Kraftsinc 10-17-2008 04:08 PM

Hi
It will all depend on when they are cleared to start letting people off. We did a self-disembarkation in March off an NCL ship (we are Canadian), and it went really fast. We left the ship at 8:30 and were at the airport by 9:15. The line for customs/immigration went really fast. As soon as you're through customs/immigration, porters are right there and quite determined to take your bags. It's not a bad idea to let them and they'll take you right to a waiting cab. Just have a few bucks for a tip and you'll be on your way in no time. The cab to the airport is a set rate of $24 or $25.00. Our flight wasn't until 12:30 so we had a bit of a wait at the airport. The dog was at the terminal as you leave to sniff your bags so as long as you didn't pack anything worth sniffing, you went right through.
Judy

penny3333 10-20-2008 07:22 AM

It is really cutting it close, but we were off the ship before 8am in July. As had been said, it all depends on when they clear the ship. We hadn't even had breakfast and they were calling for self-debark passengers. We breezed right through customs. I believe Cruise Fanatic was at the airport by 8:30am. I had a flight out of Ft. Lauderdale and was there at 9:15am. I didn't book a flight out until 2:10, just in case. Delta would have let me change to an earlier flight for $50, but I was fine with what I had.