Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2007, 07:59 PM

ANYONE GOING ?
AMY INFO WOULD BE GREAT NEVER SAILED WITH NCL BEFORE

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 08-15-2007, 08:21 PM
Not the best ship .
But it depends on what you are looking for in a cruise
The buffet is very very small and they usually have a buffet set up on the pool deck (weather permitting) to alleviate the crowding of the inside buffet.
Food was so so
Cheap price, and good for young people
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 08-15-2007, 08:27 PM
We sailed on the Dream out of Houston last winter....It's a smaller ship that was stretched....The two main dining rooms are small and can get crowded very quickly...The main dining room is in the middle of the ship on deck 9 and there are people with cabins on the 9th deck that have to walk thru the restaurant to get to them...so it does cause some traffic.....the buffet is a combination buffet and sports bar....which is also very small....in fact, almost everything on the Dream is small...the food in the dining room was well above average with the buffet a little below average, but still good.....all in all there isn't such a thing as a bad cruise...some are just better than others...Read my Review on the Dream on CruiseReviews
Happy Sailing....

Bob E

Bob E
Old 08-16-2007, 04:41 AM
Administrator

Hi DSMINI, and welcome to cruise-chat.

I sailed on this ship, as well as her sister ship, before she was lengthened. One of these trips was to Bermuda, same as you. I loved the ship -- the staterooms were relatively large (at least at the time), and the Terraces dining room on Deck 9 aft is beautiful. I also loved the aft pool on Deck 9 -- it's so nice to be surrounded by the ocean on three sides. None of these areas were impacted by the stretch.

Bob, I'm off to read your review...thanks for submitting one!
Old 08-16-2007, 06:59 AM

HI thanks to you ll the have replied
i have been on the disney cruise and loved it
not sure what to expect on this ship many have have mixed reviews. as long as there is sunshine i am sure we will love it

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 08-17-2007, 02:51 PM
Banned

We were on the Dream in Oct 2006 cruising from Houston to the eastern Caribbean at a very low price of $329.00 per person for a Oceanview room. It was a 7 day cruise.

Berick 1234 is absolutely correct, it is an older/smaller ship. The ship was stretched a few years back to make it larger. The ship is small compared to the newer NCL Jewel, Pearl, Gem, Jade, Star, Dawn ships. We found that while the ship was great for a 5-7 day cruise we would not sail the Dream for a longer cruise such as to South America. As an avid and loyal cruiser of NCL, I just don't think I'd want to be on this ship that long. The dining rooms are nice and the ship has a few specialty restaurants. The carpeting needs replacement.....the chairs and tables in the public areas are certainly out of date and tatered. The elevators are very small and narrow and limited in size. The showroom is a small, highly conjested/cramped area for the nightly shows. It is not a very comfortable area to sit and view the nightly entertainment, and would be a nightmare for exiting in case of a ships emergency. The pool areas are small and the outside pool eatery area is very confined, so the ship has an outside BBQ with large grills that are set up for topside lunches. For the outside breakfasts, the pool area is utilized into a few outside food stations for cooking omelets and waffles, which I felt was very inadequte for serving the guests. In fact during the breakfasts and lunches, since the area is so small, don't be surprised to see food spilled/dumped on the decks, as the area is confined and passengers tend to be very messy. We did not think there is enough crew members on the outside deck to keep the area clean. The Buffet is in an area called the Sports Bar, which is really set up for a Buffet. The buffet setup is very small and at peaks times, hard to find a seat since seating is limited.

I guess I would rate the ship a 6 out of 10, with 10 being the best, and I understand the Dream will be either repostioned or sold after the South America season/cruises end.

If I had my choice for a cruise of this caliber, meaning length of cruise, cost of cruise, and considering flights in and out of South America I would choose another ship.

I am sure that you can still enjoy the cruise, and this post is strictly our observations. Certainly don;t want to create any ill feelings, but have to be honest with our opinions and observations.

For what we paid ($329.00) per person we had a good time and thought NCL delivered value to us. However we knew the ship would be older, and once on board, we could have made several recommendations to improve the ships overall quality. I would sail on this ship only of the price was a special low price.

It's not worth sailing on the Dream if your paying for a higher priced cruise.

Here's a link to our CruiseReview of the Dream

http://www.cruisereviews.com/Norwegi...ianDream79.htm

Richard & Mary
NCL Platinum Latitudes

NCL Pearl Sept 24th Van Couver to LA.
Diamond Princess Dec 3rd, 2007 15 day to Hawaii
Old 08-17-2007, 03:34 PM
Banned

I've sailed on the Dream, and I'll agree that the buffet is under sized. But on a trip to Bermuda, with several nights in St. George, you'll have to time every day and night to dine in the restaurants, and avoid the buffet altogether.

Some older and smaller ships have just one speciality restaurant, the Dream has two.
The Le Bistro is smaller of the two, the food is great, and the ambiance cozy and French. It'll cost an additional $15 per person to dine here. The La Trattoria, has great views overlooking the aft swimming pool through ceiling to floor glass windows, two levels high. The Italian food is your basic pasta dishes you'll find in even small towns in America, but it's free.
The two main restaurants, and the infamous too small buffet (Sports Bar) are also free. Terraces aft also looks over the aft pool, but sadly I report through one level of ceiling to floor glass windows. The Four Seasons midships also has ceiling to floor glass windows. Both main restaurants serve Continental menus.

Ships sailing from Boston to Bermuda usually have a Dine Ashore program, so you can dine in a restaurant in Bermuda too.

The Dream has three swimming pools, the aft pool behind Terraces is usually not as crowded as those topside on the Lido Deck. One pool on the Lido Deck is setup with a wet bar, with tables and seats in the pool, which is very cool.

The Oceanview cabins, larger than what you've experienced on the Majesty, have sitting areas with curtains that separate it from the bed, much like you may experience with Mini Suites on larger NCL ships. The CC Superior Oceanviews looking starboard and port have ceiling to floor windows, you'll be able to see beautiful Bermuda from the sofa.

Another experience not experienced on the Majesty are the balcony suites and cabins that are available aboard the Dream. There aren't many, and if viewing Bermuda without a pane of glass between the views and you in the cabins is desired, I recommend booking early. I expect they will sell out fast.

Yes, the Dream is a ship built in the early 1990s, which means it was designed in the late 1980s. Many amenities found on newer cruise ships are missing, I believe you'll find the Dream more than an adequate replacement for the Majesty.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Ron, I thought that Terraces was two levels (with that great staircase) and that Sun Terraces on Deck 11 was turned into La Trattoria. Back in the "old" days, pax were assigned to a dining room. We chose Terraces on N. Dream/Dreamward, and Sun Terraces on Wind/Windward -- and I agree that the two-level restuarant was nicer. Of course, this doesn't matter today with Freestyle Dining.

Another tip for N. Dream pax -- the obstructed view staterooms on Norway Deck (deck 9) are a great bargain. Roomy, and light still pours in between the lifeboats.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by LisaP:
Ron, I thought that Terraces was two levels (with that great staircase) and that Sun Terraces on Deck 11 was turned into La Trattoria. Back in the "old" days, pax were assigned to a dining room. We chose Terraces on N. Dream/Dreamward, and Sun Terraces on Wind/Windward -- and I agree that the two-level restuarant was nicer. Of course, this doesn't matter today with Freestyle Dining.

Another tip for N. Dream pax -- the obstructed view staterooms on Norway Deck (deck 9) are a great bargain. Roomy, and light still pours in between the lifeboats.
Both the Sun Terraces and Terraces are stepped restaurants, of two levels. But Terraces windows are vertical, one level in height, and Sun Terraces windows are vertical & slanted, two levels high.

Here's a photo of the Sun Terraces(La Trattoria): Sun Terraces - La Trattoria

Here's a photo of Terraces: Terraces

Here's a photo of Four Seasons: Four Seasons

And here's a photo of the aft end of the Dream

From the photos, the middle restaurant, the Sun Terraces, has two level high windows.

Edit: Copyrighted photos replaced with links.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:38 AM
Administrator

Ron, I love the photo of the aft pool and decks. That was a favorite spot of mine.

The reason the Terraces felt more spacious than Sun Terrace was because of the staircases and mural on the wall opposite the windows. I didn't even noticed the height of the windows on either of my cruises.

Sorry for such specific questions -- living in the Boston area, I am starting to get very detailed questions on the ship from friends/neighbors/etc. because, as you know, she will be replacing our longtime ship Norwegian Majesty next year.

Closed Thread

Tags
13, 2008, dream, july, ncl, norwegian, obstructed, reviews, view