Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2006, 10:33 PM

We will be leaving on the ncl Star in February, 2006 from San Pedro to the Mexican Riviera. I keep hearing different things. Do they search your luggage at the pier or not? Does anyone know? We traveled on RCI from the same port last year and had no problem bringing alcohol on board in our suitcase. Has something changed? Thank you
Old 01-29-2006, 02:05 AM

Luggage is not searched initially, but all shoppping is scanned at the different ports, and their is a corkage charge, we brought some aboard but kept it in the cupboard in the room, we like a pre dinner drink or a drink on the balcony in the afternoon, and I think it should be our choice, plus I think the rule is to make you buy more drinks from NCL at higher prices.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:58 PM

The cruise lines have the same security now as airports. Your carry on luggage with go through xray. If they see something of concern they could ask to look in your bags.
As for the alcohol policy, it is not that they just want you buying their drinks. There is a big liability issue to think about. If the cruise lines allowed you to bring on all the liquor you wanted then there would be a big issue with minors drinking, and a higher rate of mishaps at sea. I am not saying there aren't minors getting away with drinking as it is now. And I am not denying there is a lot of drinking to excess going on now on ships. But atleast with the ships policy now it is somewhat controlled. If there were no alcohol policies it would be totally out of control.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Jo Walker:
Luggage is not searched initially, but all shoppping is scanned at the different ports, and their is a corkage charge, we brought some aboard but kept it in the cupboard in the room, we like a pre dinner drink or a drink on the balcony in the afternoon, and I think it should be our choice, plus I think the rule is to make you buy more drinks from NCL at higher prices.
Yes, the rule does make you buy more hard alcohol from the cruise line. As for drinking BYOB only in your room, doesn't the cruise line have to depend upon your word? Last year, many passengers were drinking shore based alcohol all over the ship, from the swiming pool areas to the lounges besides within their own room. It's much easier to enfore no alcohol at all than depend upon responsible passengers being honest. There's just too many dishonest passengers.

The actions of a few dishonest and irresponsible passengers resulted in a no hard alcohol rule being enforced upon all.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:09 AM

I wouldn't consider myself dishonest and irresponsible, I'm just trying to watch my budget! I heard that you can bring on boxes of wine in your luggage and they usually make it through. (ok, so maybe i'm a little dishonest!)
Has anyone heard anything different?
Old 02-05-2006, 11:05 AM

I like to have a little booze available in my cabin for an occasional pre dinner drink, and though I have often "smuggle" in a small plastic bottle, I have rareley used it. I still bring it, however, as when opportunity knocks, I want to be ready.

I certainly understand a cruise line's position on both the financial and responsibility issues.

As for the financial side, I've read how NCL has converted refrigerators to mini bars. Though I would/will request that they be emptied, I did suggest to NCL that they make the "nipper" sized bottles available for purchase at a reasonable price, as it would allow pre-dinner cocktail passengers the flexibility to purchase a couple of them in advance, to accomplish the goal I have stated above.

As for the responsibility issue, we had some teens smuggle a bottle of rum or two on board from one of our S. Caribbean port stops on a 2004 Dawn cruise, and one of their parent's was held accountable for over $2200 worth of damages following a last night on board binge. They were not aware of the numerous "Candid Cameras" around the ship!! Also, the infamous Royal Caribbean missing newlywed case involved some highly potent liquor apprently smuggled on board, as it is a substance not sold in the US, and not sold onboard.

Old 02-06-2006, 07:22 PM

I was thinking of loading a suitcase with alcohol to be checked in. This would be for a group of 6 so not excessive, but will save $$$.
Any thoughts or experiences with this? Thanks

Closed Thread

Tags
alcohol, board, bring, control, cruise, liquor, mac, norwegian, predo, san