Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2008, 07:27 PM
Banned

The assembly of a new ship for NCL begins April 24, 2008.

NCL also releases photos, and shows off their "New Wave" cabins. You can see the startling designs at http://F3.ncl.com/

Note: You don't have to fill the form if you don't want e-mails about new F3 developments.
Just click on the "skip the form" link.

Since this is a NCL press release, for wide publication, I assume it's safe to post some photos of the cabins.
New Wave Deluxe

New Wave Balcony

New Wave Standard (Inside)

Looks exciting!
Old 04-26-2008, 11:15 AM
Ron-Great pictures of the cabins on the upcoming F3 class ships-with all the great new ships under construction - cruising over the next few years is going to exciting-to say the least.

BillyBuzzy
Old 04-26-2008, 12:10 PM

Happy to see someone getting creative with cabin design. Beats the cookie cutter, shoe box design. Hope this will be a trend for ships builders in the future to be more out-side the box, so to speak. Great idea!

Not so sure the transitional flooring is a good idea thouhg. Gets points for style but looks like it may present a trip hazard for those late night trips to the bathroom.

Cheers, Neil
Old 04-26-2008, 05:02 PM

The new Celebrity Solstice is suppose to have new style cabins also. They took design tips from a team of everyday women and what they wanted to see in a cabin.
Old 04-26-2008, 05:13 PM

I can't wait to see that. Those cabins will have hairdryers, curling irons, floor length mirros and designer drapes and linens for sure! Probably also self lowering toilet seats.

A shame they didn't involve everyday men in the process, there'd be a keg in every room.

Cheers, Neil
Old 04-26-2008, 05:18 PM

Several months ago I wrote a two page letter to NCL in regards to this new ship or ships (F-3). I'll ask your opinion here too but I suggested to them that if they built one large ship, larger than any other in their fleet and christen her 'NORWAY 2'. I also suggested that many of the NORWAY's original murals and other neat items are currently being offered for sale online. How about a specialty restaurant that is a smaller version of what once was the Windward Dining room with it's beautiful varnished panels? Maybe a twin funnel design (like Disney Magic / Wonder) with 'wings' to pay tribute to the original ship. You get the idea.

Basically in a nutshell I told them that it's obvious their company is in some rough times. Many people believe it's related to the demise of the Norway. Whether that's the truth or not I don't know but I do know this.....announce this new F-3 ship as NORWAY 2 and she'll be sold out for two years before the first plate of steel is cut. Let's hear your thoughts?
Old 04-26-2008, 05:46 PM
Having seen the model of F3, I think it would be a huge insult both to the ship and the country to name it anything related to "Norway"

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 04-26-2008, 06:02 PM

I have not seen the model.....my suggestion to them was that the F-3 project as a whole should be geared towards Norway's replacement. And some 'rules' with that would be that the ship needed to be twin funnels, same livery (solid blue hull), etc, etc. A new modern ship with features that would pay tribute to the original ship. Personally, I think the ship would be a smash hit. If NCL has other ideas on the appearance then I agree that the name NORWAY would not be appropriate.

NCL did actually write me back and stated that customer relations would look into my ideas that I submitted. I realize that my letter might have fallen on deaf ears but I thought it was worth a try. After all Norway was a proven product for 20+ years. Why wouldn't a corporation be interested in what has worked well in the past?

Anyway, I guess I need to view NCL's current proposal for this F-3 ship and re-comment.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:10 PM
Please do, for example here:

NCL F3 project

For the record: I do hope the real ships will look a bit different than this.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 04-26-2008, 06:28 PM

Thanks Svein for the link. The only two things I liked was the bow and the "twin" funnels side by side. Everything else was WAY too boxy. It seems that modern day marine architechs are forgeting the word 'sheer' in their designs. There is no reason why even a ship like that couldn't be reconfigured to be more graceful and 'flowing' in her superstructure details. It's a shame how designers are giving every modern ship the 'box' look. Angular lines just don't cut it. NCL might have the "youngest" fleet on the planet but it'll sure be the "ugliest" too.

Closed Thread