Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2002, 04:19 PM

Just returned from the Hawaii cruise.
The Fanning Island portion - 2200 miles and 3 days ofthe trip - is a complete waste of time.
The Hawaiian Island stops are terrific.
The food is not very good. The good restaurants require a cover charge. The Market Buffet for
lunch and breakfast is standard shopping center food court stuff. The dining room (actually 2) is dirty, you usually have to bus a table to find
a place to sit. The bartenders in the pool bar area are surly.
The ship appeared to be understaffed.
The decks weren't always clean: glasses, plates,etc littered the decks - all levels - til midday.
Light bulbs were out and things needed paint and varnish.

Still had a great time. Free style is great.
It is virtually impossible not to have a good time in Hawaii.
Old 09-23-2002, 04:19 PM

Just returned from the Hawaii cruise.
The Fanning Island portion - 2200 miles and 3 days ofthe trip - is a complete waste of time.
The Hawaiian Island stops are terrific.
The food is not very good. The good restaurants require a cover charge. The Market Buffet for
lunch and breakfast is standard shopping center food court stuff. The dining room (actually 2) is dirty, you usually have to bus a table to find
a place to sit. The bartenders in the pool bar area are surly.
The ship appeared to be understaffed.
The decks weren't always clean: glasses, plates,etc littered the decks - all levels - til midday.
Light bulbs were out and things needed paint and varnish.

Still had a great time. Free style is great.
It is virtually impossible not to have a good time in Hawaii.
Old 09-24-2002, 06:32 AM

Sorry to hear you were not satisfied with the ship. I have cruised Hawaii a couple times but it was on the Independence. With the way they did things to me the other cruise lines would not do in Hawaii for ME.

I for one did not like Hawaii but I am a cold weather person. Only went for a full eclipse and to sail on the Independence a second time. The whales are great and if the volcano is active it is a sight to see at night, otherwise you can have Hawaii.

I do understand why people enjoy Hawaii and I am glad that you still had a good time. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-24-2002, 12:06 PM

First time we did Hawaii it was on the old Constitution, 2 weeks after Iniki hit Kauii. I would not even consider doing it on the newer ships, as you really can't see the inlands like they should be see. America Hawaii was the only way to go. We've been back twice since then, planning on another trip next year. Love the "laid back" attitude in Maui and Kauii, not Oahu.
Old 09-25-2002, 12:55 AM

The great thing about America is that there is a different product out there for every possible taste and desire.

You hated it. That` a shame.
Next time try another line.

I loved the Star. Only problem is that they are now fully booked through next summer !!
Who would have thought?
Old 09-25-2002, 08:59 AM

Didn't hate the Star.
Just think they could manage a little better.
Old 09-25-2002, 07:56 PM

Sorry you didn't have a great cruise. I am sure you are aware that the Fanning Island run is because of the Passenger Service Act (AKA the Jones Act) which requires ships to call in one foreign port to become "legal" when visiting US ports. Since Kiribati is the closest foreign port to Hawaii, NCL went out on a limb and tried it....the results? A success.

American Hawaii cruises was an American based company using an American crew and met all the criteria of the PSA and therefore could sail within the waters of Hawaii without visiting a foreign port.... Of course they went bankrupt during the process.

BTW, NCL just brought the hulls of the two new builds the US Cruise Lines defaulted on (part of the group American Hawaii belonged to) and will bring them into cruise ship service.

As I read you post, the issue is the PSA and the Fanning Island committment not the experience on the Norwegian Star?

To
Old 09-26-2002, 03:11 PM

I understand about the politics requiring a foreign port. (largely due to Labor Unions) The highlight of Fanning was the tender in, with rough seas - fun ride!
The last cruise we took was on the Norwegian Sky to Alaska. The ship was spotless, the crew were outstanding and the food was great. The Star did not measure up to the Sky.

Closed Thread

Tags
2002, arrival, cruise, fanning, food, forum, hawaii, hawaiian, ncl, norwegian, norweigen, reviews, star, time