Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2005, 10:18 PM

Tom, I didn't mean to flame Ron Clark, but wanted to ask Walter O'Mally if the disclaimer of "Cruise at Your Own Risk" on a cruise line's brochure would indemnify them of any liability, I am sorry if it sounded crass or somehow out of context, but that is my question.

Thanks for posting it if you chose to do so.

Lois
Old 08-19-2005, 02:39 PM

Lois,
I don't know what you said in your original post, but having read the thread - I'd love to hear Walter's response as well.
Shelley
Old 08-19-2005, 04:00 PM

THE REPORTER FOR THE SEATTLE TIMES WHO REPORTED ON THE PASSENGERS WHO WERE PARKED AT THE HOTEL WITH NO LUNCH AND NO TOUR OF SEATTLE LAST WEEK IS WORKING ON A FOLLOW UP ARTICLE AND WILL, HOPEFULLY, LET US KNOW HOW THE CRUISE WENT WHEN THEY RETURN ON SUNDAY. THIS SEEMS TO BE THE ONLY WAY WE WILL GET INFORMATION. WHEN ONE CALLS NCL ALL WE (STILL) GET IS, "WE HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE OF ANY PROBLEMS WITH THE NORWEGIAN DREAM".............THEY DON'T EVEN SEEM TO KNOW IT'S RUNNING ON TWO OF ITS FOUR ENGINES!
EVEN OUR TRAVEL AGENTS GET FED THE SAME LINE.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:45 AM

I FOUND THIS ON ANOTHER CRUISE CHAT-LINE..........THE PROBLEMS CONTINUE BUT NCL STILL SAYS, "We have no knowledge of any problems with the Norwegian Dream." What are cruisers to do????

Edit: Quoted posting removed. RF
Old 08-20-2005, 02:34 PM

MONETTE,

please post in accordance with the widely accepted netiquette guidelines and do not quote from other boards unless you have the poster's explicit permission to do so.

And please do not use ALL CAPS all the time, which is considered "shouting" and "rude" on the internet.

Thank you.

Raoul Fiebig

Old 08-20-2005, 04:07 PM
Banned

The Cruise industry falls under maritime laws, and the fine print disclaimers that came with your tickets are legally binding.
Read thes two cruise industry experts on cruise line rights and cruise passenger rights.

Cruise line rights:
http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...r/disclaim.cfm

Many consumers apparently believe that a change in the ship's itinerary or a problem on board entitles them to generous compensation or a full refund. But the cruise lines have covered their areas of exposure quite well, and they make it crystal clear what they are and aren't responsible for--and what you are and aren't entitled to.
It's all covered under "Terms & Conditions" on the back of the brochure. It's certainly the most boring part of the brochure, and can sometimes be tough to decipher, but if you read every paragraph, you might find some surprises.
According to the terms and conditions, your cruise fare entitles you only to the specified number of days aboard ship, your accommodations as chosen and paid for, and all listed inclusions such as meals and entertainment. Your cruise fare does not guarantee specific ports of call, or the order in which the ship calls on them.

Injured cruise passenger rights:
http://law.freeadvice.com/admiralty_...e/cruise_line/
In exchange for the passenger paying the cost of the cruise, the cruise line issues the passenger a ticket for the cruise that is a contract between the passenger and the cruise line. Unfortunately, the ticket generally contains many harsh conditions that benefit the cruise line and severely limits the passenger's rights.
Other examples of conditions written on the back of tickets give the cruise liners the right to deviate from a published itinerary; another disclaims liability for the negligence of shore side excursions operators.

About the only thing cruise lines take responsbility for are injuries. And then they severely limit their exposure by the terms and conditions written on the ticket. You can basically forget receiving any non-physical injury awards, like pain and suffering awards.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:11 PM

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=12244
Old 08-20-2005, 07:09 PM

Kaye, thanks for the link. Raoul makes a great point. One should never copy a post and post it to another forum without approval of the poster. However, posting a link to the conversation is quite acceptable.

Thanks for keeping us abreast of the situation.

Tom
Old 08-21-2005, 01:24 PM

To contradict one of Ron Clark's postings on the "closed" site concerning the Norwegian Dream's current situation, NCL is STILL advertising/selling Sitka as a port, knowing full well they will NOT being going to Sitka. I just visited several sites, including NCL's, on which they show Sitka as a port on the August 22, Sept. 1 and Sept. 12 departures. They are selling this port at the present date; that shouldn't be too hard to prove!
Old 08-21-2005, 06:40 PM
Banned

Actually, NCL can't predict if and when the main engine will be fixed any better than you and I.
It could be fixed as I write this reply, although probably not.
When it is repaired, and the Dream has top speed again, NCL intends to sail to Sitka, as it did for the first four cruises this season.
You're buying tickets for a cruise in the future. I wish we all could read a crystal ball and predict when the engine will be repaired.

If NCL did post that Sitka was dropped, and later repaired the engine on the Dream, I guarantee there will be someone complaining about the restoration of the Sitka port taking away dock time from another port.

Closed Thread

Tags
change, meshot, norwegian, schedule, yolette