Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2006, 11:36 AM

NCL indicates that $ 10.00 per person per day will be added to your room. Does this cover you stateroom stewards, your servers at either the main dining rooms and the specialty restaurants that charge an upcharge or do people give extra tips to these services? I have been on the Disney ships and they are specific as to how much each person gets, like the head server, main server, asst server, steward, etc. NCL isn't specific.

Thanks
Old 09-28-2006, 11:44 AM

Ed, if you go to the General Cruise Chat, scroll down and you will see a post "Auto Tipping - Buffet" by Kate Ashlock. There is an abundance of information there to give you an idea of how this works. It's 3 pages long. Happy reading! Hope it helps with your inquiry.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:38 AM

dear Ed

the $10 goes to the stateroom stewards and restaurant staff.
for the bar service, the service charge gets automatically added on your bill. so you don't have to worry about figuring out who you need to extra tip.
there is an internal breakdown after of who gets how much of these 10 $.

hope that helps
Philipp
Old 12-01-2006, 10:28 AM

Wondering if the have an option to choose 'discretionary tipping' and opting out of the auto tipping.

My travel agent says yes, NCL just called me and said no.

Does anyone have experience with this?
Old 12-01-2006, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by yvrsun:
Wondering if the have an option to choose 'discretionary tipping' and opting out of the auto tipping.

My travel agent says yes, NCL just called me and said no.

Does anyone have experience with this?
On the last night you can go the main desk and ask for some or all tips to be removed. You will be asked to complete a form in which you will have to indicate the reason for removing the tips.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:40 PM

I agree.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:16 PM
Banned

Ed T:

This is just a personal observation. Mary and I have completed several NCL cruises, and we really DO like the the tipping program that NCL employs. With other companies, Princess, RCL, CCL cruises, we found, only after the NCL cruises, that the cash envelope program was a pain in the butt. With NCL there is no envelopes to stuff, no cash required, and it's simple. They simply add $10 per person per day and it is billed at the END of the cruise. You DO have the right to make adjustments depending on your service during the time of cruise. An example, is on our latest NCL cruise, our niece and her husband was a first time cruiser. Each night they gave the cabin stewart a nice tip after seeing the folded animals from the towels. In Le Bistro the gave a large tip. They did not really understand the tipping program and gave tips along the way each day of the cruise. Since Mary and I were NCL Platinum Latitudes members, we discussed matter of excess tipping with the Conciege assigned to us, and the Latitudes representative Lidia Poppard. They stated that our niece and husband were welcome to go to the registration desk, explain what they were doing and make any adjustments to the FINAL bill before leaving the ship as they saw fit. This was a very nice gesture. Although they had the opportunity to make these adjustments, they did not. They paid the daily rate on top of what they tipped along the way each day. They chalked it up to experience as a first time cruiser. Bottom line, NCL will let you plead your case in regards to tipping. They told us on the side, there are very few passengers that question the tipping program. So for the ones that complain or request adjustments to the FINAL bill are small. Any adjustments MUST be made only after the FINAL bill has been delivered to your stateroom, and before you leave the ship. Happy sailing and enjoy your NCL cruise.

Richard & Mary
Las Cruces, New Mexico

on the Pearl Feb 2nd, 2007
on the Pearl May 20th, 2007
Old 12-01-2006, 08:12 PM
Banned

I take the attitude that the $10 service charge is the minimum tip. If the service warrants a larger tip, I leave an additional cash tip.
Considering what you would tip ashore at a hotel and restaurants, I bet most would tip more than $10 per day per person.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:29 PM

There is always a stated $ daily dollar amount
listed on all cruise brochures. However they are
all not created equal. On previous cruises when we found discrepancies, or as in some cases when
we(a family) were not on board for meals, or other services, you could go to the desk and ask
to adjust the daily per personrate. But!! on NCL
you have to put your request in writing, then sit down to discuus it with an NCL customer service rep, before departing!!! not good for
customer relations, I say.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed T:
NCL indicates that $ 10.00 per person per day will be added to your room. Does this cover you stateroom stewards, your servers at either the main dining rooms and the specialty restaurants that charge an upcharge or do people give extra tips to these services? I have been on the Disney ships and they are specific as to how much each person gets, like the head server, main server, asst server, steward, etc. NCL isn't specific.
Thanks
Yes, the auto tips are spread out throughout the ship. The only people not included are the butlers and concierge for the suite passengers, the Kids Crew staff, and the Spa staff.

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruiseline, cruises, daily, dec, gratuities, gratuity, lawrence, line, mexico, ncl, norwegian, st, tip, tipping