Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2006, 11:25 AM

Well after booking the 11 day cruise on the Wind and reading various postings, I must say I was worried about the Oct sailing.

Let me say one thing...don't worry. We had a wonderful time and everything was fine. The ship isn't one of the brand new floating vegas hotels, but for the expectations of this cruise (visting 5+ islands and sailing at night) it was great.

The average age was 58-62, but as a 46 year old, we found no issues or concerns. The crew was great, food fantastic, ship clean, etc. I had heard about sewer smells and never found anything what so ever as a concern.

The entertainment was good, some better then others, but overall it was fine.

Once you board, book Le Bistro as many times as you can. After the second day of sailing, don't bother, it will be booked for the rest of the cruise. The rest of the food and resturants were fine, no complaints.

As far as excursions, if it is a tender day-buy your excursions on the boat. That is unless you can pick them up at the harbor, such as we did on the Triology in Maui. Then we saved a lot of $$.

They allow their excursions off first and sometimes that means 1 1/2 - 2 hours after the first tender leaves for shore. So you have to be careful on the tendering islands.

We throughly loved the time we spent and NCL did a great job. Now if you are going on this cruise just to sun and gamble (only bingo) then I think you might be disappointed. But if you use this cruise as a floating hotel that feeds you 24 hrs a day and then during the day you are traveling the island, you will love it.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:44 AM

Thanks for that encouraging news. I will be sailing on the Wind over New Years and this report makes me feel better. I have sailed on the Wind before and know it is not the newest or greatest ship, but we couldn't beat the price for a New Years cruise.

I do have a couple of questions that you may be able to answer, however. According to the brochure, we are in Lahaina for 2 consecutive days but not overnight. Does the ship really tender in Lahaina overnight or does it go out to sea and return the next morning? Also, I know there are optional formal nights on the cruise and the group I travel with enjoys our "dress-up" time. Were there 2 or 3 optional formal nights and do you recall what days they were?

Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 11-16-2006, 04:30 PM

The ship tendered and at the end of the day, it sailed off and came back in the morning. Even though it states (or did ours) that we were back at 7am, no one was able to leave at that time except ship excursions. Others had to wait till 9am.

I do not remember which day the formal were, we saw some dressed up everydays and some never...

We had a great time and I am sure you will also...
Old 11-17-2006, 07:54 AM
I questioned why we could not stay docked overnight. Only made sense but they will announce that you must be back on board at the specified time and you may not stay in port. My sister has a condo on Maui and I wanted to stay overnight but it is not allowed. Some law. If you do not get back on board there is a huge fine.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:06 AM

Thanks for the quick response. SanDee, guess I'll make sure not to miss the ship in Maui (VBG).

Okay, now for a couple more questions. I know NCL offers an in-cabin bar set-up (if ordered pre-cruise). Anyone know the current prices or the correct contact person to order? Also, if ordering the white wine/fruit basket bon voyage gift - what kind of white wine is delivered? Hmm, sounds like I plan to do some drinking on this cruise - but, it is after all New Years.

Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 11-17-2006, 02:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by NancyN:
Thanks for the quick response. SanDee, guess I'll make sure not to miss the ship in Maui (VBG).
Okay, now for a couple more questions. I know NCL offers an in-cabin bar set-up (if ordered pre-cruise). Anyone know the current prices or the correct contact person to order? Also, if ordering the white wine/fruit basket bon voyage gift - what kind of white wine is delivered? Hmm, sounds like I plan to do some drinking on this cruise - but, it is after all New Years.
Nancy
You need to contact the passenger courtesy for the Wind (or for your specific NCL ship) by phone. Just call number, and ask for him/her by ship. The NCL phone number for passenger courtesy is 1-866-625-1159.

Prices for a bar setup vary depending upon the quality and quantity of the booze. Here's a link to some photos of NCL's Bar Setup price list.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/226...59187889kExPdr
Old 11-21-2006, 01:02 PM

hello nancyn

i am from germany an i we altough make a cruise with the wind at 30 dec 06. first we are in the marina inn hotel at the airport on 29 dec 06. then we start the cruise on 30 dec 06. after the cruise we stay for two nights in the park shore hotel in waikiki beach.

what do you plan for excursions at the trip. we will took a rental car in some ports or going to the beach specially on fanning island. do you have some more informations about kiribati or the hawaiian islands.

see you on board and i hope you write something to me. we met some american people on our last cruises with celebrity and holland america. the americans are very good travel partners and its very easy to travel with them. germans together oftens are to difficult in holidays :-))

grettings from germany

meeresbesucher
Old 11-21-2006, 01:14 PM

In Oahu, not only can you visit Waikiki Beach, but you can visit the Arizona, the Punch Bowl, Hanauma Bay (great snorkeling), and the north side of the island where the pipeline is in the summer. The toilet bowl is in Hanauma Bay and if they still let you get to it, it is so much fun. It's a natural rock formation, when the tide comes in it throws you out of the hole and when the tide goes out it flushes you down the hole. There's a bunch of great things to visit there. Enjoy your cruise!
Old 12-01-2006, 01:43 PM

meeresbesucher,
Fanning Island is more like a private island experience then a real port stop. There is a small village within walking distance of the NCL beach compound and the locals will have their crafts displayed and perform some native dances in the open air theater at the beach. Other than that the cruise line will have a barbeque luncheon and a bar set-up for the passengers. Here is a link to our review of the island on our website Port Reviews: http://www.hawaiiportreviews.com/FanningIsland.htm . You can also find inforamtion on all of the other islands with suggestions for activities at that site as well.

As for excursions, I have visited Hawaii numerous times, so I do not plan to do much more than find the best beach on each island and just relax. Renting a car is a great way to see much in a short time at these ports. If this is your first visit to Hawaii, plan to take in one of the luaus (Old Lahaina on Maui is probably the best).

There are actually 10 of us traveling together for our annual New Years celebration. If you wish to find us, just seek out the short elderly lady with chopsticks in her hair - she is part of our group. Please make a point of saying "Hi". (Her name is Pat)
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 12-02-2006, 12:01 PM

Make sure to make your reservations for LeBistro right away. On my last cruise on the Wind with my mom, it booked up rather quickly.
Suzi

Closed Thread