Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2006, 07:49 AM

The scrapping of the SS Norway, the largest Passenger ship of the 20th Century is set to be another enviromental disaster for India.

Exported from Germany by NCL for an illegal trip to the scrap yards in India, the lives of thousands of Indian workers are currently hanging in the balance. And no, this isn't about them earning a living but earning a death sentence.

This ship has, it's rumoured,1250 tons of asbestos panels and a large amount of poisonous chemicals onboard, and guess what; the poorly paid workers at the breakers in Alang in India get to dismantle the ship with nothing much more than a blowtorch.

The break-up of this ship is illegal under the terms of a UN treaty and the European Waste Ship Regulations. This ship should have been professionally decontaminated in Germany before she left for the innocent and ill equipped in India.

I cannot believe the callous disregard for International Regulations by Norwegian Cruise Lines on the asbestos issue.
But on reflection the boiler explosion onboard the SS Norway, which killed 7 crewmen and led to her "imminent scrapping" says a lot about NCL. If they were an airline I don't think I'd fly in their planes. As it is, at least I can swim I suppose.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:28 AM

What I'm trying to say is, can you trust NCL on the day-to-day running of ships, when they openly disregard European Regulations and UN Treaties?
Old 05-12-2006, 02:00 PM
Banned

Was the ship sold to an India scrap-yard while the Norway was in European waters?

I don't think so. From what I've read, the sale didn't occur until the Norway was anchored off Port Klang Malaysia.

Was the SS Norway while it was recently tied to a pier in Germany ever under European registry?
Can you explain how a Bahamas' registered cruise ship falls under European laws after it leaves European waters?

As for UN treaties, which UN treaty are you referring to?

You have a very poor opinion of the skill of the workers in India, assuming they can't disposal of abestos, or other dangerous substances, in accordance with International standards. Disposing abestos properly isn't that hard to do. The skills necessary take approximately 8 hours to learn.

Here's a link to video course made in America to meet American OSHA standards. The entire course of instruction is 122 minutes in length.
http://www.nrsc.com/asbestos.html

Here's another link for the University of Wisconsin Milwaukee campus web site on Abestos abatement.
http://www.nrsc.com/asbestos.html

If the workers can be educated to safely handle cutting tourches, grinders, and be qualified as riggers, they can be educated to handle abestos too. It's not rocket science.

Why do you assume only western nations can handle abestos safely? India's workers can if properly trained.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:23 AM

Norwegian probably does not care much about many things!
My advice is to forget Norwegian if you are looking for a quality cruise line!
I have been trying to get through to get some action with their "Customer Relations" department for over six months now!
They have, in that time, gone through THREE directors. And I still have no direct response.
All this after they dumped my luggage in a pool of water on dock.
Stay away from them.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:35 PM
Banned

RK, why not start your own thread about your dumped luggage, instead of posting it on every thread?

Was your luggage water resistant?
If not, why did you go on a cruise surrounded by the sea with non-water resistant luggage?

At most, your luggage should have got wet, and your clothes remained dry. If it was raining your luggage would have gotten wet.

Why should NCL pay you a penny for your wet bags?
Old 05-16-2006, 11:04 PM

I agree 100% ron.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:41 PM

It's probably not even NCL's fault, most likely a port worker dropped the bag.....

Closed Thread

Tags
cruse, fly, wwwdo