Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2005, 07:05 AM

My husband would rather bring a light-colored suit for the formal night..

Would this be acceptable or is a dark suit/tuxedo only considered acceptable formal?
Old 08-28-2005, 10:22 AM

HelenMartin,

on NCL there are no "mandatory" formal nights, so you don't need any formal wear at all unless you would like to take some. On "formal nights" one main restaurant will be reserved for passengers who would like to enjoy dressing up.

I'm sure that on NCL your husband would be fine with a light-colored suit, but as I said, if he prefered to not to bring one at all, that would be also fine.

Raoul Fiebig

Old 08-28-2005, 04:02 PM
Banned

Even tough one main restaurant is reserved for formal attire, NCL doesn't really enforce formal attire. So don't be surprised to see cruise casual attire on formal attire night.
I agree, a light colored suit is okay. Any type coat and tie is okay.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:46 PM

When it comes to ‘formal nights’ I think NCL is the most casual of the lines I have sailed on. If you are more comfortable in a light suit then go for it. If, once you are dressed and out in the public areas, you feel a little too casual for the dining room – I think the dining room is the most formal part of the ship, NCL has lots of other options – just eat in one of those.

Caribbean Travel Articles
Old 08-31-2005, 09:47 AM

Thanks. With that being said, I will advise him to not bother to pack a suit. And it makes one less bag to have to bring
Old 09-03-2005, 12:50 AM

Helen~~~

If you or your husband would like to bring a suit, remember that you can smash a suit into a suitcase and have the cruise ship facilities press/steam it once on board. Sometimes it's worth it to get dressed up! (Only if you wish!)

Bon Voyage!

Lana
Old 09-12-2005, 08:35 PM

We just returned from a N. Dream cruise and we enjoy dressing for formal nights.......we were distressed to have people seated next to us who chose to dress worse than casually. The man was in a dirty (yes!) t-shirt, sweat pants and a baseball cap. We feel if people choose to not get dressed up fine........but on formal night perhaps NCL could ask them to dine in the Sports Bar.
In fact, we were amazed at the attire in the restaurants....in spite of the "dress code" of no jeans. Jeans would have been preferable to the ever-present baseball caps being worn at the tables in Four Seasons, Terraces and Trattoria by "older" men, not kids. Yes, this was an Alaska cruise, but the attire was not just casual, it was often grubby, quite grubby.
We are not "classy" dressers, by any means, but enjoy a dress up night. We felt the t-shirt wearers were an insult to the servers, as well, who always look SO sharp.

Closed Thread

Tags
acceptable, allowed, colored, cruise, formal, light, night, nite, princess, suit, wear