Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2008, 06:11 PM

Hi all,

I just wanted to report back from my first cruise with NCL. For the most part, I loved it, but there were a few issues I wanted to share. First, we never met our steward until the last day. He didn't introduce himself to us at all. Second, since we had 4 in our room, we had a bed and a fold-out couch. After the first night, the steward never remade the bed back into a couch. I'm not sure why. Third, we were at port for only 8 hours at the longest. When we arrived, we would be the last cruise ship to dock (or tender in), and the first to leave. Last, the tender ticket system didn't work at all, since people who didn't have a ticket would just cut in line in front of us, and the crew never did anything about it. However, I must say that the entertainment was the best I have ever seen, and this was my sixth cruise! I liked the freestyle flexibility, and the choices for restaurants. The food was fabulous, and I loved all of the destinations, including Great Stirrup Cay.

Has anyone else had similar issues with NCL?

MamaofEnS
Carnival Ecstasy June 2002
Carnival Elation August 2000
Celebrity Century June 1998
Carnival Carnivale August 1993

Old 03-31-2008, 07:19 PM

Am leaving on April 13th, for panama cruise, and what caught my eye on your posting was you mentioned a tender ticket, not sure what that is, do you have to have a ticket to tender to shore? Have only been on the RCCL and when we tendered in it was just first come first serve type deal, do you know if all NCL cruiselines use the tender ticket?
Thanks
Wendy
Old 03-31-2008, 07:32 PM

Hi Wendy,

I was unfamiliar with the tender ticket, but I guess it has become standard practice on some cruiselines. Here is how it worked. If you haven't booked a shore excursion through the cruiseline, you will need to report to a certain area (like a lounge). When the lounge opens, they will pass out numbered tendered tickets to guests in line. We were in line prior to when the lounge opened, and got number 310. All guests need to be with you in line, so my two young children stood in line with me and my husband. After receiving your ticket, you are then directed to wait for your number to be called over the loudspeaker. Depending on how large the tenders are, they call for up to 200 people per tender. (They may call for numbers 100-170, for example.) When your number is called, you report to the gangway, where you stand in a long line. The lines usually went up two flights of stairs. You turn in your ticket just prior to boarding the tender (or sometimes the ticket is never collected, and our tickets were never checked to see if our number had been called). It may take only a few minutes between announcements of new tender ticket numbers, but it could take a lot longer. This is only for the first few hours after arriving at a port, then they have open tendering. I hope this answers your questions.

MamaofEnS

Old 03-31-2008, 09:51 PM

I was on the NCL Sun in November 07 and Carnival Spirit in February 08 and the Steward did not formally introduce himself to us on either cruise line. The NCL Steward did eventually stop by to see if everything was ok. The Carnival Steward didn't stop by at all. When we needed something both ships Stewards were great. I don't know why they didn't make the bed into a couch so I'd suggest that if that ever happens again and you want it done that way just call and let them know your preferences. We asked for a bar of soap in a hallway and they must have raced to get it to us because we barely got back and a few bars of soap beat us to the room.

While we didn't have a problem with tender tickets it is a pain standing in line. I think they do bring those with suites or frequent cruisers in front of the crowd. They pay for that little extra in room costs. On Carnival it is Platinum, Silver and Gold card holders as well I think. On both cruises we kind of took our time getting off to let the crowds get off first. That way we casually made our way to shore.

The food was indeed fabulous and in fact fabulous enough for us to come back from the Carnival Cruise and rebook NCL for next February. We missed Stirrup Cay because of bad weather and now you made me want to see it.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:11 PM

mamao wondering the dates you were on the cruise??
Old 04-01-2008, 09:10 PM

I was on the cruise from March 22nd to 29th.

MamaofEnS

Old 04-02-2008, 06:45 AM

Welcome back MamofEnS, glad to hear overall you had a good cruise. You really should have let the purser's desk know you wanted the bed made back into the couch, they would have made sure it was the way you wanted it. With the tender tickets, I don't think what level you are matters. We've had people cut in front of us even when we had excursions booked and we are silver card holders. Guess it's supposed to be Platinum Anyway, if you let them know they'll do their best to correct a problem. If they don't at least try, then make sure you note that on the comment card or write a letter when you get home. They want you to come back, and they want you to enjoy your cruise. Best wishes and can't wait to see what you select next!
Old 04-02-2008, 04:32 PM

I should have contacted the purser to make the change, I suppose. I had just planned on telling my steward when I saw him, but like I said before, I didn't see him until the last day, so I just let it slide. Is that there usual policy to keep it in bed mode?

MamaofEnS

Old 04-02-2008, 05:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Is that there usual policy to keep it in bed mode?
It depends upon the steward, the type of sofabed (some fold out and take up a lot of floor space, others don't), and possibly the size of the cabin.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:06 PM
If I don't meet my room steward on the first day, I find him or her...then I give them a crisp $20 bill and then I see them all the time...this is on top of the regular tip they get...works wonders...and about the bed...you do really need to tell someone of your wishes...I've been on 14 cruises with NCL and have never really had a problem with the room stewards...but you did like the freestyle dining and that's one reason I stay mainly with NCL...
Happy cruising your next time out...

Bob E

Closed Thread