Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2003, 11:55 AM

We are looking at a couple of different cruises for next January. The SS Norway is one of the ones we've narrowed it down to. I would like to stay in the Penthouse (with a balcony) on the Sun deck. Has anyone stayed in one of these before? Also, it mentions concierge service. What does that mean (other than asking them to arrange for tickets on the tenders)? Do you tip the concierge?

Thanks
Toni
Old 04-02-2003, 11:55 AM

We are looking at a couple of different cruises for next January. The SS Norway is one of the ones we've narrowed it down to. I would like to stay in the Penthouse (with a balcony) on the Sun deck. Has anyone stayed in one of these before? Also, it mentions concierge service. What does that mean (other than asking them to arrange for tickets on the tenders)? Do you tip the concierge?

Thanks
Toni
Old 04-07-2003, 03:19 PM

We just returned yesterday from a cruise on the Norway with a Penthouse Suite. The cabin was wonderful and very spacious. If you need to depend on elevators all the time, that can be very time consuming as there are only 2 elevators going to the Sun deck, one of which only goes to the cabins directly. In spite of this the cruise was wonderful as long as you remember that she is an old ship. Food and service were some of the best we have had on our many cruises. The accomodations were certainly worth the price. We did not use the services of the Consierge, but he is always available if needed.
Old 04-07-2003, 06:27 PM

Thanks Geri

We've now booked for Jan 11/04 and have suite S026. Can you give me any further info about it?

Unfortunately, as far as the elevators are concerned, I have a disablity that requires me to use them. Oh well, I know that they are slow and small so I'll just deal with them!

Thanks
Toni
Old 04-09-2003, 01:17 PM

Hi Tony, It looks like you are in an AD category. We paid for that category and got upgraded to an AC which is a little bit bigger, especially in the sitting area. I would check to see if you could get a free upgrade. The one nice thing about your cabin is that you are on port side as we were. That is the best side to see the ports as you arrive. We had to deal with the elevators a lot because our friends in a neighboring suite could not use the stairs. You will be fine. We are just used to using the stairs most of the time. Tender tickets for St.Martin are not given out until the day of arriving. Get your tickets early. Then you can go any time as long as your number is within the numbers called. Your consierge can do this for you if you need him to. Tender tickets for St. Thomas are given out the night before in front of the Saga Theater. Not too many people knew this. We are going back on the Norway in July with our family, so I will do the same in regards to tender tickets. There is some time wasted with the tenders. Any other questions, just ask.
Old 04-09-2003, 02:42 PM

Hi Geri

Thanks a lot for the information. How did you get the upgrade? I know that if you book a guaranteed
cabin they could upgrade you, but when we booked there weren't any available.

I'm really looking forward to this cruise. We took our first cruise this past January on Carnival's Sensation. It was great, but we're not real party people. I think the Norway will suit us just fine.

Toni
Old 04-10-2003, 12:21 PM

Hi Tony, Yes, the Norway will be perfect for you. It is not as much of a party boat as Carnival. There are a couple of lounges to listen or dance to in the evening. Most of the entertainment is geared toward second seating as much of it doesn't start till 9 PM. The Club International is a beautiful place to sit and enjoy the wonderful music they have there. If you are young and energetic, there is always the Disco in the evening, which we never went to.
As to your question about upgrades, it just appeared when we received our tickets. This was our 31st cruise, 9 of which were on NCL. Maybe this was a factor. This was our 5th cruise on the Norway. I know you will really enjoy it. Have fun. Geri
Old 04-10-2003, 01:52 PM

Hi Geri

Thanks for the great information. I'll put a bug in my TA's ear in a couple of months to see if we can scoop an upgrade. If not, I think we'll be quite satisfied with what we have booked.

We are celebrating my 50th (Oh dear...did I even say that???) So I'm really looking forward to this cruise.

Right about now...what with this long winter, I'm ready to book for the end of April on a last minute cruise!

Thanks again
Toni
Old 04-10-2003, 07:20 PM

We have booked a cabin on the Norway for May 11th and will not have the consierge services. Geri mentioned that you could get the tender tickets for St. Thomas the night before. Is that for everyone or just those with the consierge service. If it is for everyone, About what time are they doing it. It must not be announced if not too many people knew about it. We would be willing to stand in line the night before to get them early. Thanks
Old 04-14-2003, 12:58 PM

Hi Toni, You must be from the North. Yes, there are a lot of 'last minute' deals. On this last cruise, we heard about a man who went to the ship on the day of sailing and got a cabin for $99.00. But besides that there are some nifty deals out there. You just have to check all the cruise sites on the internet. NCL has already reduced our family of 7's cruise for July by $200.00 each, just for asking. So stay on top of the cruise fare war. Your TA just has to ask, especially if you have not paid your final payment.
Geri

Closed Thread

Tags
balcony, club, international, norway, penthouse, ss