Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2005, 06:19 PM

I am booked on a 7 day alasan cruise aboard NCLA's Spirit. When you get on the NCL website, there is no descritions of the shore excursions, does anyone have any good recomendations. We are active, and like to sightsee. Also if anyone has any good insider tips on cruising Alaska please let me know this is our first cruise to Alaska and we have a balcony suite.

Thanks for any input you may have,
Shelton
Old 08-03-2005, 04:44 AM

Shelton: have a great time. I can't help you with the shore excursions beyond telling you that they will probably give you an extensive list, with descriptions, when you embark. They also had the shore excursion channel going 24/7 on your room TV when I sailed her in March. They were sold out of one or two when I first got on board, but most were available. Just be aware that the shore excursion desk gets pretty jammed up the night before you get to port.

Please write a review when you get back! I would love to hear how things went.

Carla ps: you can read my review http://www.cruisereviews.com/Norwegi...anSpirit14.htm
Old 08-03-2005, 04:48 AM

Ooops- I realize that I don't know when you are sailing. If you haven't gotten your docs yet, there will be a list, with prices, included in the envelope.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
When you get on the NCL website, there is no descritions of the shore excursions, does anyone have any good recomendations. We are active, and like to sightsee. Also if anyone has any good insider tips on cruising Alaska please let me know this is our first cruise to Alaska and we have a balcony suite.Thanks for any input you may have,
Shelton
Try this NCL web page on Alaska cruises shore excurions:
http://164.109.173.140/shorex/ak/2005/index.htm

As for suggestions on "sightseeing":

At Ketchikan, try the Totem Bight & Ketchikan City Tour. Tour Code: KTN-001 Approximate Duration: 2 1/2 hours Level 1
This tour offers a unique opportunity to learn about the history, lifestyle and lore of the Northwest Coastal natives. Your driver/guide will interpret the significance of the myths and legends depicted on the many poles standing along the trail among the hemlock and cedar trees. Step into an authentic ceremonial clan house and immerse yourself in stories that describe the lifestyle and rituals practiced by the original inhabitants of the Northwest Coast. While visiting Totem Bight State Park, enjoy a short stop at the Alaska Totem Trading Store where you will be amazed at the collection of vintage automobiles and rare antique firearms. On your way back to town, learn of the industries that helped to build Ketchikan and the several canneries that helped to make Ketchikan the “Salmon Capital of the World”.

At Juneau, try the TRAM & TREK. Tour Code: JNU-030 Approximate Duration: 2 hours Level 2 / Hiking Shoes / Outerwear
Experience it all! A city tour, a ride on the tram and a walk on one of Juneau's most spectacular mountains! Learn about the gold rush in the capital city while passing through historic downtown Juneau. Then board the tram for an effortless five-minute ride to the 1,800-foot level of Mount Roberts. Hit the approximately half-mile loop trail with an expert naturalist guide and acquire a better understanding of Mother Nature's effects on this magical area. Marvel at spectacular views where meadow meets forest, and where porcupine, marmot and black bear share clean air with alpine wildflowers and twisty timberline trees. Your tram ticket is good all day.
If you're willing to skip the bus trip through downtown Juneau, and save some money at the same time, just walk to the tram, buy the pass, and hike through the preserve all by yourself.

At Skagway, try the White Pass Scenic Railway. There's several options with the railroad you should check out. Here's a few optional railroad excursions: White Pass Railway & Klondike Gold Dredge, White Pass Railway, Bus & Gold Rush Trail Camp, White Pass Railway & Laughton Glacier Wilderness Hike, and the Heli-Hike & White Pass Railway

At Prince Rupert, try the NORTH COAST EXPLORER. Tour Code: PRR-001 Approximate Duration: 2 1/2 hours Level 1
A memorable Canadian rail excursion awaits you when your cruise ship docks at the historic port of Prince Rupert, the third deepest natural harbor in the world. To give you a taste of the history and spectacular wilderness of this rugged region, we invite you to enjoy this scenic trip on the North Coast Explorer. Travel by train following the Skeena River as you relax in your coach with comfortable seats and large viewing windows. Or experience the coastal views in the vintage open observation car. Kowledgeable staff are available to provide interpretive commentary while you enjoy complimentary snacks and beverages.
Also, if you don't mind help paddling a huge 31 foot canoe, the TSHIMSHIAN TRADITIONAL CANOE QUEST & RAINFOREST HIKE. Tour Code: PRR-023
Approximate Duration: 3 1/2 hours Level 2 / Age Restrictions
On this scenic and informative cruise across the harbor, you will assist in paddling a 31-foot Native design canoe. Experience the means of travel that propelled the resilient Tsimshian First Nations people to their fishing and hunting grounds. This traditional west coast native dugout style canoe is both safe and fun. Watch for eagles and seals as your guides ensure the safety of all onboard. Your destination is McNickel Creek Beach, which harbors one of Prince Rupert’s sandiest beaches. Upon arrival at the beach you will leave the canoe and explore the lush rainforest. The hike will eventually lead you to McNickel Creek, which is a salmon spawning stream. At certain times of the year, salmon can actually be observed making their upstream trek, while dodging the razor sharp talons of the resident bald eagles. After a short hike, return to the beach to cook a few crabs and roast some hot dogs.

Of course, if you're into fishing, or nature spotting, there are other better choices at every stop.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:46 AM

Shelton,
I have one insider's tip for you: Don't miss the halibut and fries at the Burger Queen in Ketchikan (no connection to Burger King and absolutely delicious).

For more insider tips, I suggest you visit our sister site: PortReviews.com:
http://www.alaskaportreviews.com/

Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 08-07-2005, 08:42 PM

WOW! Thanks for all the responses! I will be sure and write a review upon my return!

Shelton

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, excursion, excursions, good, ncl, norwegian, port, prince, review, reviews, rupert, shore, spirit, tips, websites