Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2006, 10:12 PM

Paul and Darryl,

Yes, I agree. Thank you Ron Clark for your comprehensive info.

Also, Paul and Darryl, would you please report back to us on your trip on the Spirit Sept. 30th? I am booked on the Dawn mid Oct.and had struggled with whether to cruise with the Spirit or the Dawn. Would love some feedback.

Thanks,
Susan
Old 08-21-2006, 03:31 PM

Hi Susan:

Absolutely we'll report back. As you've probably already noted, I'm a bit verbose (read as I’m very fond of hearing my own words! ) so I have no doubt I'll have a comprehensive report for you.

I think I may have mentioned to you before that I have been on the Dawn (in 04) so I'll be able to give you a great comparison. (I hope!)

I recently read an excellent review on the Spirit and am now even more excited. If I find it again I'll post the link here. The Dawn was an awesome ship and dining in Le Bistro (I highly recommend forking over the $12.50 pp surcharge) among original works was quite breathtaking. As it happens we were seated next to a Monet (one of my favorite artists) I can't for the life of me remember which work though!

Anyway, the review I mentioned about the Spirit talked about how different she is from other NCL ships because she was originally created for the Asian market. As such her decor tends to be richer and more sophisticated.

The review was obviously written by a travel professional as it clearly points out (in detail) all of the things that would interest a cruise traveler.

I'll keep you posted if I find it and will be happy to share our cruise with everyone once we return. The downside to that particular post is that our cruise will be OVER!

I intend to keep an electronic journal while aboard so I hope to be as accurate and unbiased as is possible for any human!

Happy Sailing!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 08-22-2006, 03:17 AM

Hi Susan:

I found it...on my work computer. I remembered that I had been searching for images of Spirit through google images and came across this review.

http://www.norwegianspirit.wanadoo.co.uk/History.htm

Enjoy!

-Darryl

Old 08-23-2006, 09:17 AM

Hi Darryl,

Holy smokes! I think I put on 5 pounds just reading about the food! The ship sounds amazing and wonderful story about the history. I love it.

Thanks for the review. I'm already booked on the Dawn mid October and never been on NCL before or experienced free-style dining. Have always done the late dinners on all other cruises, so hope we enjoy the free style.

I think I had chosen the Dawn over the Spirit because I was looking for a bigger ship and I believe that the Dawn is larger, but the Spirit sounds fantastic. Will keep this info in mind for the future.

Thanks Darryl,
Susan
Old 08-24-2006, 09:33 AM

Hi Susan:

Awesome! You'll love the Dawn.

I was personally a bit concerned about the Spirit because Dawn had spoiled us so much. Before we booked this cruise I posted and found someone who had been on both. He loved both ships and told me I wouldn't really miss the 80 feet in length. He said he and his wife actually enjoyed Spirit better because of the deck layout. Though we never really felt crowded on Dawn (Spring Break of 04 I might add so she was FULL) he said that in comparison Spirit's decks just feel more open...even when packed!

Anyway, I will report back so you can make an informed decision before you book Spirit for your next! I know everyone is different but we LOVE freestyle! Paul has only been on one cruise (Dawn in 04) and says he doesn’t really want to cruise any other way!

Have a great time!

-Darryl

Old 08-24-2006, 04:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul & Darryl:
Hi Susan:
Awesome! You'll love the Dawn.
I was personally a bit concerned about the Spirit because Dawn had spoiled us so much. Before we booked this cruise I posted and found someone who had been on both. He loved both ships and told me I wouldn't really miss the 80 feet in length. He said he and his wife actually enjoyed Spirit better because of the deck layout. Though we never really felt crowded on Dawn (Spring Break of 04 I might add so she was FULL) he said that in comparison Spirit's decks just feel more open...even when packed!
Anyway, I will report back so you can make an informed decision before you book Spirit for your next! I know everyone is different but we LOVE freestyle! Paul has only been on one cruise (Dawn in 04) and says he doesn’t really want to cruise any other way!
Have a great time! -Darryl
I've never sailed on the same ship twice. I like diversity, and eventually I'll probably sail on a ship twice, but that doesn't mean I'll like it. Hopefully that second sail on a ship will be on an entirely different itineary.

I strongly believe diversity adds spice to life. Try sailing on as many ships as you can is my motto. Although NCL's sister ships; Star, Dawn, Jewel, Pride of Hawaii, Pearl, and Gem; are basically the same, there are minor differences on every ship. While the Spirit, Pride of Aloha, Sun, and Pride of America are slightly smaller, as you wrote just 80 feet shorter, they offer most of the same ementies as the larger sized ships, but you'll see major differences between the ships. You can have a great cruise on any of them, please don't get too attached to just one.

Have a great vacation.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:00 AM

Thanks Darryl and Ron,

This is all good news. No worries for a great cruise on my part. I, like you Ron, have never sailed on the same ship twice. I really, really like the surprise of a ship that is new to me, even if the ship is not new, as long as she offers her best.

There's something almost human-like about entering a well maintained ship in all her glory as she awaits her new passengers with a sense of regal pride. I feel a respect for her, as she does for me.

Yikes, that was sure heavy, and I haven't even had a morning coffee.

Susan
Old 08-26-2006, 03:38 AM

I agree wholeheartedly with Ron & Susan!

Paul & I will probably do Dawn and/or Spirit again for the mere fact that they’re convenient. Now that we’re starting to script our own lives instead of employers doing so we’ll be more able to book last minute. I like the idea of not traveling to Florida to pick up the ship since it adds travel time. Since getting away is sometimes more important than where one is getting away to, we wouldn’t even mind the same itinerary.

With that said, I'm all for trying other lines and other ships and especially other destinations! Eventually Paul will be too. He realizes other lines have their own version of Freestyle so we'll try as many as we can in the coming years. He simply doesn’t like the idea of being told when and where to eat! I don’t either but I know that even the traditional seating type lines now offer lots of other choices, especially on the huge ships.

Susan, yeah, it was heavy, but true! Having worked all of my life in Aviation I feel that aircraft, especially the large commercial types that I have always been involved with, do develop their own personalities and are proud machines.

I feel that the craftsman who build and operate these great machines whether they be trains, ships or airplanes imbue them with their own sense of pride and it carries with the craft.

Phew, how's that for heavy? Ouch!

-Darryl

Old 09-01-2006, 09:07 PM

Hi Darryl,

Whoo Hooo! Just noticed that your cruise on the Spirit is this month! Start packing, kiddo! Mine's not til mid Oct. on the Dawn, but I'm thinkin' I'll try to lose a few "pre-cruise pounds this month so that I can cut loose for 7 days, meanwhile fit into the formal wear.

Hope you're excited! Good luck. Will be looking forward to a post-cruise report on how it went, although, post-cruise reports are difficult because it means the cruise is over, but...MORE to come! Cruisers For Life!!!

Susan
Old 09-03-2006, 04:49 PM
We've been on 10 NCL cruises and have never had a bad time....Some of their older ships have been refurbished and are nice at a cheap price. We sail New Year's Day on the Jewel and it was stunning....Alaska this June on the Star and another great ship. You will find it all depends on expectations.....Some will love the same cruise, at the same time, and some will feel it was a bad one....We will only travel with NCL now....Freestyle cruising is the way to go...No formality, just a great time.

Closed Thread

Tags
built, ncl, ships, year