Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2006, 07:33 AM

Hi,I'm thinking about booking a cruise for Sept or Oct on a NCL ship, but have only been on Carnival Glory, RCI's Mariner, and Rhapsody, and Celebrity's Mercury. Will I be disappointed with a NCL ship? Are there any I should avoid or try?

Also, has anyone been to Bermuda? Some ships only go there and no place else. Is the stay too long there?

Thanks,
Susansusachi@comcast.net
Old 08-10-2006, 08:13 AM

Hey Suzi:

Never been on any of the other lines you mention. Been on a line that doesn't exist anymore (Emerald, which was absorbed by RCCL) and been on the NCL Dawn. Loved it! Love freestyle! The Dawn is awesome. Currently booked on 9/30 8 day to St. Thomas, Tortolla, Bermuda. Can't wait! Never been to Bermuda, my sister lived there though and loved it!

I would not take any of the smaller, older NCL ships that do direct to Bermuda from the northeast cities. Have known 3 people disappointed with those ships, but said the line and food, etc. was great (I agree!). I understand NCL will be phasing out these older ships as the latest ones come on line. If you want to do Bermuda and you want to give NCL a try (which I do recommend) then you'd probably do well to take the same itinerary that I'm on.

Hope this helps!

Happy Sailing!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 08-10-2006, 10:11 AM

I have been on two NCL cruises....the cruise of Alaska on the NCL Sky in 2003 and the NCL Crown to Bermuda in 2004. I am leaving August 26th for a cruise of the islands in Hawaii on the NCL Pride of America. As for the Alaska cruise, there were 4 couples and we all had a wonderful time. The ship was clean, the service was excellent and the food was top notch in the regular dining rooms. We did not eat in any of the speciality restaurants, since we thought the food was very adequate and the service was beyond reproach. We were a little disappointed with the NCL Crown, since the ship was a little older and smaller than the Sky;however, the ship was clean, the staff went out of their way in the dining room and the food was again excellent! Our room steward was also on top of keeping our cabin in tip top shape. We have thus booked this upcoming NCL cruise in Hawaii, and hopefully we will continue cruising with NCL in the future.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:19 AM

Ok, I'm telling my age now, but sailed on NCL's Sunward and Skyward. The cruises were great. They have a Dive-In program, which was right up my alley. I think it was $250/pp, but you were taken to snorkels/dives in each port. You were one of the first ones off the ship, and the snorkeling was great. I totally enjoyed the food and the service on both ships. The crews were wonderful on both ships, and seemed to really have an upbeat attitude. They'd twirl their trays, sing, dance, it was fun. I think you'll have a great time!
Old 08-10-2006, 10:40 AM

I've been on NCL 3 times, and RCCL and Princess one time each. Was on NCL's Sky (twice) and Spirit. Overall, I've enjoyed NCL the most. They seem to me to be the most organized of the three. They were the most vegetarian-friendly as well, which is important to me.

Heading out on the Jewel on Septmeber 3rd.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:00 PM

I've done 2 cruises with RCCL and my recnet one with NCL. The NCL ship was the biggest and probably the nicest i've been on. YET i won't be going on another NCL cruise , i'll be back with RCCL from now on. The unfriendly service and total lack of organization with NCL was a huge turnoff. RCCL was like staying at the Four Seasons while NCL made me feel like i was on a floating Motel 6 .
Old 08-10-2006, 01:01 PM

Now there are 2 people at opposite ends of the spectrum!
Old 08-10-2006, 03:41 PM

lbt43- It just goes to show that everyone's perception is different. On the same cruise, you can have completely different realities depending on what happened to that person and how sensitive they are to things.

I will go on the Dream.. I will have the best time possible. I don't sweat the small stuff and only complain about the things that someone can do something about if at all... Take that attitude and your cruise experience can only be good.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 08-13-2006, 09:24 AM

Hey Gail Marie,

We're off on the Pride of America to Hawaii three weeks after you! We leave on September 9th and I can't wait. This will be our first cruise so I am not quite sure what to expect but I'm hoping it will be a laid back and fun experience. Have you planned to do any of NCL's excursions? We've planned a few that seem a good mix of adventure and educational. Hope you have a smashing time!
Old 08-13-2006, 10:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by CruisySuzi:
Hi,I'm thinking about booking a cruise for Sept or Oct on a NCL ship, but have only been on Carnival Glory, RCI's Mariner, and Rhapsody, and Celebrity's Mercury. Will I be disappointed with a NCL ship? Are there any I should avoid or try?
Also, has anyone been to Bermuda? Some ships only go there and no place else. Is the stay too long there?
Thanks,
Susansusachi@comcast.net
I don't think you'll be disappointed with NCL newer ships, those with or will have hull art on their bows, in comparison to the ships you mentioned. While NCL largest ships are just 92,000 tons, their newest smallest ship is 76,800 tons.

Carnival Glory >
Year Built 2003 Tonnage 110,000 tons
Length 952 feet Beam 116 feet
Passenger Capacity 3,700
Mariner of the Seas >
Year Built 2003 Tonnage 138,000 tons
Length 1,020 feet Beam 158 feet
Passenger Capacity 3,835
Rhapsody of the Seas >
Year Built 1997 Tonnage 78,500 tons
Length 915 feet Beam 106 feet
Passenger Capacity 2,435
Celebrity Mercury >
Year Built 1997 Tonnage 77,713 tons
Length 866 feet Beam 106 feet
Passenger Capacity 1,870

The following ships go to Bermuda later this year.
Norwegian Crown until Oct 22 (34,000 tons)
Day 1 New York (Manhattan), NY 4:00pm
Day 2 At Sea
Day 3 St. George's, Bermuda 9:00am (Overnight)
Day 4 St. George's, Bermuda 7:00am
Day 4 Hamilton, Bermuda 9:00am (overnight)
Day 5 Hamilton, Bermuda 7:00am
Day 5 King's Wharf, Bermuda 9:00am
Day 6 King's Wharf, Bermuda Noon
Day 7 At Sea
Final Day New York (Manhattan), NY 7:00am

Norwegian Dawn until Aug 26 (92,000 tons)
Day 1 New York (Manhattan), NY 4:00pm
Day 2 At Sea
Day 3 King's Wharf, Bermuda 8:00am 5:00pm
Day 4 At Sea
Day 5 Great Stirrup Cay, Bahamas 7:00am 4:00pm
Day 5 Nassau, Bahamas 8:00pm (Overnight)
Day 6 Nassau, Bahamas Noon
Day 7 At Sea
Final Day New York (Manhattan), NY 10:00am

Explorer of the Seas until Oct 31 (138,000 tons)
Day 1 Bayonne, NJ 5:00pm
Day 2 At Sea
Day 3 King's Wharf, Bermuda 8:00am (Overnight)
Day 4 King's Wharf, Bermuda 5:00pm
Day 5 At Sea
Final Day Bayonne, NJ 7:00am

Grandeur of the Seas until Nov 5 (74,000 tons)
Day 1 Baltimore, MD 4:00pm
Day 2 At Sea
Day 3 King's Wharf, Bermuda 9:00am (Overnight)
Day 4 King's Wharf, Bermuda 4:00pm
Day 5 At Sea
Final Day Baltimore, MD 7:00am

The Dawn will not be sailing to Bermuda later when you wish, it has a more diverse itinerary.
Either Royal Caribbean ship and the Crown only go to Bermuda, although the Crown stays there the longest. But it's an older NCL ship, which might dissappoint.

Have a great cruise on whichever ship you choose.

Closed Thread

Tags
built, ncl, ships, year