Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2006, 05:16 PM

have never cruised to alaska before- was taking my parents as a gift but mom is too sick so had to cancel their room- I am going anyway- am 52 and single. not looking for love boat :-)) but would be nice if I was not the ONLY single person. anyone out there that can help me set my expectrations? am on the sept 3rd 2006 STAR
Old 08-22-2006, 07:03 AM

Robert, I suspect you didn't get an answer because the thread about the SS Norway keeps taking over. Anyway, I just wanted you to know you are not being totally ignored. I'm sorry to hear your parents won't be able to come with you, and hope your mom gets to feeling somewhat better.

To answer your question, there will likely be a few single people onboard, as there are on any cruise. Since it's freestyle dining, I'd advise you to be willing to share a table for dinner, rather than dine alone - that way your chances of meeting people increase. You may also meet folks on shore excursions, at the bars, in any of the games (trivia is a good one for meeting people), etc. I hope you find several whose company you enjoy. If not, just enjoy the scenery and the wildlife - Alaska is a wonderful place!
Old 08-22-2006, 07:05 AM

P.S. We were on the Star in May. Nice ship. If you like Oriental food, I recommend the alternate restaurant named Ginza - we thought it was wonderful! Although we didn't do the teppanyaki there, that might be another good opportunity to have company while you eat, as they seat a group of people around the table before the chef starts his "show."
Old 08-24-2006, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Karen Knowlton:
Robert, I suspect you didn't get an answer because the thread about the SS Norway keeps taking over. Anyway, I just wanted you to know you are not being totally ignored. I'm sorry to hear your parents won't be able to come with you, and hope your mom gets to feeling somewhat better.

To answer your question, there will likely be a few single people onboard, as there are on any cruise. Since it's freestyle dining, I'd advise you to be willing to share a table for dinner, rather than dine alone - that way your chances of meeting people increase. You may also meet folks on shore excursions, at the bars, in any of the games (trivia is a good one for meeting people), etc. I hope you find several whose company you enjoy. If not, just enjoy the scenery and the wildlife - Alaska is a wonderful place!
Dear Robert
NCL usually has on the first or second day of the cruise a singles-get-together, make sure you read through the cruise news daily, your daily cruise program.

Karen says share a table...!

as it is freestyle cruising people do not sit at the same tables every night anymore and it will be hard for you to find someone who wants to share a table.
the best way to meet people is at the many many bars and entertainments that are going on.

and like Karen says... enjoy Alaska...a wonderful place...also the STAR is a great ship...

have fun
Cheers
Philipp
Old 08-24-2006, 04:21 PM

Thanks for responses all.. keep em coming please
Old 08-30-2006, 07:03 PM

Let me know how you like the cruise and how it is for someone that is traveling alone. I would love to take an Alaskan cruise next summer and I will be interested to see your take on it. I am a female, but let me see how you do with it.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:34 PM

You can most certainly share a table. Since no one has assigned seating for dinner on NCL, you can opt for a small table or to join a large one. You may very likely be the only single person at that large table, but you do have a chance of encountering some companionable folks with whom to share a meal. You will also probably wait less time to be seated than if you opt to eat alone.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Hi Robert, I cruised Alaska on NCL's Dream last summer as a solo and had a great time. There was one other solo cruiser--he was drunk when he boarded and stayed that way the entire cruise, so people avoided him. He wasn't a friendly drunk and even bothered some of the kids on the ship. But there were other "singles" traveling in pairs, so there are single people and I found people to be very friendly. As for dining, before you are seated you will be asked if you want to share a table. If so, they will place you at a table with others who have agreed to share. I met a lovely pair of ladies during breakfast one morning and we had a ball hanging out together. And, as others have said, you will meet people in the bars, at trivia, bingo, the auctions, etc. The key is to be outgoing. Best opening line: how are you enjoying the cruise? By mid-cruise I couldn't go anywhere on the ship without seeing people I knew; in fact, many people commented on how many people I knew and others thought I worked on the ship because I knew so many PAX. ;-)) Oh, there were a couple of singles traveling with their children, as well. You will have a great time and Alaska is truly beautiful. Have a great cruise!

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, cruise, find, peolpe, people, reviews, share, single, singles