Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2007, 03:13 PM

I recently came back from a one week cruise on board the Norwegian Majesty. The generators failed on the last 24 hours of the cruise which kept the AC off. The staterooms, on the last night, were probably 110 degrees which forced most people to sleep in the elevator lobbies, under blinding lights, and on stair landings on the levels which had doors leading to the outside decks. It looked like a refugee camp. The old people and pregnant women on the cruise had a really tough time of it. I had heard from several reliable sources that this is not the first time that this problem happened to this ship recently. If older cruise ships cannot be properly maintained they should be decommissioned. Don't run your ships to the point of failure and have your passengers suffer for it.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:05 AM

Wow! Sounds horrible. Did you get some sort of compensation for your troubles?
Old 01-03-2007, 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bublik:
Wow! Sounds horrible. Did you get some sort of compensation for your troubles?
How dare you talk about my ship like that???
May I inform you that the lovely Majesty is the best, nicest, happiest and most friendly ship in the fleet?

As any other man-built item, she can have breakdowns, which is of course bad for those involved, but it is certainly not common for her!!

And I do not believe it was 110 degr. In your cabins. I have been working on ships sailing the Persian Gulf with NO aircon at all in the first place. And I survived with good margine!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 01-03-2007, 08:03 AM

First of all, Svein, I am a little taken back by your tone. The person should be able to express his personal feelings. This is United States of America, not Iraq! If this is how he felt, so be it.

Secondly, he was on VACATION, not working, not serving in the Gulf War. Vacation is the time then those things that we might tolerate otherwise should not happen. He was there to relax and not to deal with the lack of AC.

Lastly, he should be compensated for his troubles and for the inconvenience, as he was on vacation and not in the middle of the war.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bublik:
First of all, Svein, I am a little taken back by your tone. The person should be able to express his personal feelings. This is United States of America, not Iraq! If this is how he felt, so be it.
That it's the US and A is quite obvious considering the immediate demand for compensation! (And I thought that goes for Iraq too, since you guys were so kind to "liberate" it for us. )

Quote:
Secondly, he was on VACATION, not working, not serving in the Gulf War. Vacation is the time then those things that we might tolerate otherwise should not happen. He was there to relax and not to deal with the lack of AC.

Lastly, he should be compensated for his troubles and for the inconvenience, as he was on vacation and not in the middle of the war.
I totally agree that it's not the best thing to experience on your vacation, but from that to call it a disaster is by my opinion to pull it a little bit out of proportion.

Old 01-03-2007, 08:18 AM

Svein,

I guess it is once again the time to ask you to reconsider your tone!

Raoul Fiebig

Old 01-03-2007, 03:13 PM
Banned

I'm sorry the diesel engines for the generators failed on your cruise. But failing on Friday with a Saturday arrival at the home port is far from a disaster.
You had six great days aboard where everything was working. You visited all your port of calls. NCL canceled the next cruise with less than 24 hours notice, and I really feel worse for them. They didn't get to sail at all, they didn't get to see any ports, or they didn't have a sail away party.
Taking all of it in perspective, their cruise was far worse than yours. They didn't have one. Also, I don't recall reading in your cruise contract where NCL must provide air conditioning. I'll admit it's great to have, along with lights, but you were on your return back to Charleston when the failures occurred. If NCL had pulled into a closer US port to disembark all the passengers, we would have heard from many how that ruined their cruise too. Especially from those who had flights booked from Charleston, and from those who had cars waiting at a Charleston parking lot. They would have also violated the Passenger Services Act, with a fine of $300 per passenger.
Overall, I would say NCL did the right thing for most of its passengers. Yes, losing most of the electricity on any ship doesn't make a perfect cruise, or an enjoyable cruise, but I don't think I would call it a disaster.
Imagine how over 100 years ago our forefathers survived without air conditioning and electricity. And you seem to have survive this ordeal too.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:25 PM
Administrator

I really can't believe some of these posts I am reading. Let's see....'well what are you whining about, you had 6 good days.' I suppose it would then be fine for someone to pay for 7 days of hotel lodging and be dumped on the street for the last day and still pay for 7 days? Or perhaps pay for a 5 course meal and not get dessert? I think some of you would be apologists for anything NCL does or doesn't do. I suppose you would accept a well-done steak when you ordered medium rare simply on the basis of 'well, I got a steak'?

Having to take to the weather decks and other public areas in order to sleep - even if on the last night of the cruise - is not acceptable to me and it shouldn't be to anyone. And please.....the cruise contract doesn't mention air-conditioning? Does it mention clean silver ware? Does it mention clean sheets?

And yes....I will agree that "disaster" is a bit of hyperbole.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:58 PM

Hi Rich. I was on NCL's Majesty the same week that you were. It was really bad. If you look back at other posts, you will see that passengers have been complaining about the engine/drive since September, 2006. In September the Majesty had to change the order of the ports of call to do some repair work in Key West. NCL knew fully well that the engine/drive was not working properly and management has known it for over three months. Still, NCL chose to send passengers out and risk their lives for NCL's profits.

The pety posts that I've seen on here saying "was it in your contract" and "you had six nice days", etc. - What the heck?? People, I saw two men and one woman gasping for air before the NCL staff could get oxygen on them. It was a very ugly and disturbing sight. One man had a heart attack Friday night down on Deck 4. It wasn't just uncomfortable, it was stiflingly hot with no ventilation. My wife and I could take it, but many people could not.

Don't minimize this problem. NCL was negligent.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:09 AM
This arguing over contract details sounds that this incidents are common! They are certainly not! In most of any cruise around the world everything goes along smoothly, even though there are ALWAYS some on every cruise that is NEVER satified.

However, as I said before we are dealing with man-built equipment and as you all know these "things" can fail whenever you least expect it. And considering the circumstanses NCL handled the situation well, probably just as well as any other cruise line would.

When things break down at sea, you can not call an service engineer or get onboard spare parts.
It's pretty much common sense. These thing do also happen in Celebrity Cruises og the former Royal Viking Line where people really had paid a lot of money to cruise. But their understanding for matters like this where much higher as these guest probably were civilized enough to get that do happens.

Edited by Dave to remove profanity

Closed Thread

Tags
compensation, cruise, cruiseline, decommissioned, disaster, disasters, line, majesty, norigean, norwegian, norweigan, photos, reviews, ship, ships