Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2008, 04:16 PM
I don't know if anyone has posted this new price increase, but here it is 11 dollars a day for the first two passengers and $5 dollars a day for the 3rd and 4th.....I hope this will be the last one..FOR AWHILE....This took effect on June 20th according to Cruise Critics.

Still, Cruising is still worth the money..

Bob E
Old 06-22-2008, 04:24 PM

I think the cruiselines have been getting a little carried away with the fuel surcharges. I know fuel is on the rise but they have always contracted long term for fuel in the past which would eliminate the need to keep increasing these charges if they have contracts in place for fuel as has always been the practice. Perhaps the suppliers have not allowed long term pricing contracts since pricing has been volitile lately or perhaps the cruiseline speculated that it would come down and have been buying at market rates each month. If so, they gambled the wrong direction for the short term and we're all paying the price for it. If this is the case, I hope they can lock in some long term pricing soon to prevent this cycle from climbing ever higher.

Cheers, Neil
Old 06-22-2008, 04:56 PM
Administrator

And here is the official word directly from NCL, in a recent press release.

Quote:
NCL Makes Adjustment to Fuel Supplement

Miami - Jun 5, 2008 ---

As oil prices have continued to rise since NCL's earlier announcement of a fuel supplement, the company announced today an increase to its current fuel supplement. The new fuel supplement will be $11 per person per day for the first and second guests in a stateroom and $5 per person per day for any additional guests in the same stateroom, based on the guidelines below.

Individual reservations
The increased fuel supplement applies only to new individual reservations made on or after June 20, 2008.

Group reservations
The increased fuel supplement applies to any group reservation booked on or after June 20, 2008. The increased fuel supplement will also apply to group space held prior to June 20, 2008 without specific names and full confirming deposit by June 19, 2008.
To summarize all such releases:

Reservations made on or after June 20: $11 pppd for pax 1 & 2/$5 pppd for pax 3 & 4 in same stateroom

Reservations made between May 1 and June 19: $9/$4

Reservations made between Dec 1, 2007 and April 30, 2008: $7/$3

Unlike some other lines, NCL is not placing a cap on the amount assessed.

LisaP

Old 06-23-2008, 06:42 PM
With the steady increases in fuel surcharges,which seem to be occurring on a monthly basis, it would be wise if NCL would put a "cap" upon the cost per cruise as done by the other lines.Failure to do so is beginning to make NCL look unattractive to many potential NCL customers!

BillyBuzzy
Old 06-23-2008, 06:55 PM
Administrator

I agree, billybuzzy.

LisaP
Old 06-23-2008, 07:59 PM

I do tend to agree, we book well over a year in advance, and we just booked a Panama Canal for November 2009, just before NCL announced the $11.00 surcharge. It is difficult to know what to do in the future. We live on the west coast so even the air fare for a Caribbean cruise is becoming an issue.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:57 AM
Administrator

Bryan, don't get me started on airfare.

NCL is basing the fuel surcharge on the day the booking was made... I just edited my post above as I now realize I wasn't clear. Sorry for that.

We took an NCL cruise on May 9, booked in December. Our fuel supplement was $17 per day ($7 for me, $7 for DH, $3 for our son), even though the surcharges had risen for new bookings just prior to our departure date.

LisaP
Old 06-24-2008, 05:55 AM

The cruise lines, like the air lines do contract their fuel. I think the problem is when the contract comes up for renewal, they will be hit with the over inflated prices as the rest of us are. I would imagine they're trying to predict what those prices will be and build up a reserve so they can sign a new contract. If the greedy little weasels have their way, oil will be over $300/bbl. before long. So, industries using a lot of fuel will have to be able to pay dearly for it, and pass it on to their customers.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:11 AM
Penny- It may just be that there will be an extreme excess of cruiseships with empty cabins- which will set cruising back to where it once was-for the elite only! A very scary economic future lies ahead for the entire tourism industry. The overall picture for the world economy is likewise bleak!

BillyBuzzy
Old 06-24-2008, 08:32 AM

That's what they were saying about flying as well. I sure hope not, but it does look that way. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

Closed Thread

Tags
20, day, fuel, ncl, surcharge