Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2007, 02:56 PM

Not sure where to post this but I know NCL cruises to Hawaii... We are looking to take a Hawaiian cruise next year for our 10th anniversary. We want to select one that gives us enough time at the ports and also one that has good onboard service, etc. I know that the boat has to go to a non-US port, so there would be 3-5 days on that end of the cruise (assuming it's one way). The biggest reason I would select a Hawaiian cruise is how much time it gives us in each port. We've never been and I don't want to be rushed.
Golden Princess - March 2003
Disney Magic - October 1998
Old 06-24-2007, 03:37 PM

The NCL ships that sit in Hawaii don't have to hit a foreign port. They are all three U.S. flagged vessels. You fly to Honolulu and catch the ship, it does 7 nights around the islands and ends in Honolulu, you fly home. If you're wanting a west coast sailing to Hawaii Princess and Celeb have ships that do 14 and 15 day itineraries and hit a foreign port.

If you're looking for a ship with a reputation for very good food and service you're going to be taking a 2 week trip from the west coast. If you're looking for a great value and maximum time at the islands fly in a do a week with NCL. The nicest ship, as of next year would be Pride of America. Pride of Hawaii is being moved and Pride of Aloha is starting to show her age from reports I get, maybe they'll refurb it before you go.

Hope this helps, Neil
Old 06-24-2007, 03:40 PM

Don't expect a lot in the area of service from NCLA, the Hawaii branch of NCL. Read some or the reviews for details. Oh, I think Holland has a ship doing the 2 week west coast run too.
Old 06-24-2007, 04:14 PM

Thanks TrvlPro for the info! We are willing to do anything from 5-12 days for a cruise in Hawaii. We just want to be able to see the islands without being rushed. Actually, we are planning to go to Hawaii and thought this would be a good way to see the islands without having to pay for the flights between them (and the hotels). Just looking for the best way to experience Hawaii and thought of cruising, since we have enjoyed previous cruises (Princess, Royal Caribbean, Disney).
Old 06-27-2007, 08:15 PM
Banned

snickerd:

As stated above NCL ships cruise the islands and leave from the island of Oahu. We are loyal NCL passengers, and the last 8 cruises were on NCL. We had the same dilema that you have in selecting a cruise to Hawaii. After 17+ cruises, and lots of research on each selection, we choose the Dec 3rd Diamond Princess 14 day cruise from LA and back. I did not want to fly to Hawaii as it is a very long trip, from the east coast even further. We will leave LA and have 4 days at sea,, which I love as they are super relaxing.....5 days at the islands with lots of time....then 4 days at sea back to LA. The price was great, have mini-suite on Dolphin Deck, and ship is about 3 years old, (have sailed her befoe to Mexican Riveria), and one of the largest in the Princess fleet. We will miss the "freestyle dining", and other major aspects of NCL treatment that we normally get. Although a difficult decision not to sail NCL, many comments here on this site and others certainly show that NCLA has problems in regards to service to the passenger. So you may want to look at other cruise lines that meet your needs.
I would think that all stops in port will give ample time for car rentals and sightseeing.

Have a great trip, I am sure that you will enjoy. Once again, I wish NCL had a LA to Hawaii and back, so we had to go elswhere.

Richard & Mary

Next cruise schedule:

Sept 24th, 2007 NCL Pearl repositioning Vancouver to LA

Dec 3rd, 2007 Diamond Princess LA to Hawaii to LA
Old 06-28-2007, 05:37 AM

Thanks for the info Richard & Mary! I've seen the reviews on NCL and have been skeptical to go on their cruises but want to spend as much time on the islands as possible, without all of the seas days in a row. We are now considering a cruise that ends in Hawaii (whether it's a one way cruise or an inter-island cruise), so we can add a week on our own to visit the islands that weren't on the cruise, at our own pace.

We've been on three Princess cruises (see my reviews under Golden Princess and Caribbean Princess), so let me know if you have any questions. All three of them have been to the Caribbean.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:33 PM

Hawaii is so gorgeous and the site of the islands from sea will litterally take your breath away. The first time we sailed around Maui I was awstruck. When you go ashore you will be isolated from the actual people who live in Hawaii, the people who have to bare the burden of the high prices and the fact their way of life is being sold to the Japaneese and the new Red Chineese. You will love your cruise as a once in life adventure. It is well worth it to sail on any NCLA vessell, except the Pride of Aloha has a pulper problem that makes her smell awfull, unless they fixed that.

Closed Thread

Tags
2011, 35, cruise, cruises, day, december, disney, hawaii, hawaiian, houston, interisland, noregain, princess, review, reviews