Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2006, 04:08 PM

I don't have a clue how long it would take to dismantle her but at least ist seems that these old liners are not so easily digested.

SS Canberra, her final weeks
Old 05-09-2006, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Deimos:
I don't have a clue how long it would take to dismantle her but at least ist seems that these old liners are not so easily digested.

SS Canberra, her final weeks
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. This could take 6 months to a YEAR.

OH, THE AGONY !!!!!
Old 05-09-2006, 05:09 PM

Well, I for one will look at no pictures of this grand ship being killed on an oily beach. I will not let anything diminish the pictures that I have in my head and the memories I made aboard one of two most beautiful ships ever built.

FYI, there is a model builder out of California that will be offering some large models of our gal on E-Bay and they look to be pretty darn wonderful. He will offer them both in France and Norway versions. If you go to E-Bay and search "SS FRANCE, SS NORWAY, SS AMERICA MODEL SHIPS" you should find the listing.

Damn the "new" NCL and Star. If I believed in curses and could put one on this organization, rest assured that I would.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:13 PM

Hello all!,

I've been away for three days and WOW! Okay I'm up to speed and here are my two cents...The ship is either going to be scrapped as a whole or is going to Dubai as a whole. How are you going to just scrap the superstructure by itself? You would have to drydock the ship and I don't think the scrapyards have that capability. You are not going to beach her, take off what you want and sent her back to sea because ships and beaches do not mix. Once she is beached she can not and will not come off. There is no amount of tug power that will remove a ship that big off the beach once she's high and dry. And I doubt that any scrapyard has a huge barge and crane to float next to her at anchor and remove the superstructure.

Now with that said if you were the owners in Dubai, why would you remove the superstructure? Just to have a sailing ship? That's ridiculous. You have 125+ cabins / hotel rooms ready to go on the top two decks, not to mention the swimming pools, which offer clients spectacular views of the park. Why would you spend good money to destroy something that would otherwise generate income or provide luxury? It would be cheaper to build a building that looked like a sailing ship than it would be to retrofit the Norway into such a creation.

Now if the people in Dubai are smart, they would recognize that Norway is a very famous and popular ship. It would be in their best interest to keep her as such and by doing so it will draw in the crowds, especially all the guru's like us. I think it would be alot easier and cost effective (if this really is her destination)to simply adapt the park to the ship as opposed to changing the ship to fit the park.

And of course there still is the breakers but I think if she does go to Dubai it's as herself.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:18 PM

As for the Dubai thing, Capt Matt, I pray that you are correct. If it's the beach, I hope she sinks enroute.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:59 PM

I have a question for those of you in the know on this scrapping process (I, thankfully, am not): I read the Canberra link and the ship was beached under her own steam and at near-full-ahead. But she still wasn't far ashore enough for efficient scrapping. The link even suggested the scrapper lost money.

Won't beaching the 2nd longest passenger ship in the world without the assistance of her own engines be problematic? We're not talking about the SOUTHERN CROSS/OCEAN BREEZE or even CANBERRA here...the NORWAY is twice the size of even the biggest of these.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:13 PM

I will never sail on NCL or Star again. The United States will have the same fate as the Norway.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:25 PM

Hello folks,

I've followed this topic for a few months and now have a question...I looked at aerial site plans for "Dubailand" and it seems to be well inland from the water. Would there be way to get a ship as large as Norway to the site..over LAND?

It would seem more likely that the fake ship in the model is just that...a structure designed to look like a fake ship, with shallow bodies of water around it to give the illusion of floating.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:28 PM

Unfortunately, Joe, the relatively small number of us who feel this way won't be missed.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:59 PM

Naked Eye has a valid point. I am not familar with the site location but if it's definately inland with no DEEP river, waterway, canal, etc. then there is no way the Norway is going OVER the land.

And for Tinctive City's question your absolutely correct. The breakers will have one hell of a time trying to beach her. She will most definately go aground a longways off of the beach even on the highest of high tides. There is a big difference between beaching an empty cargo ship or oil tanker compared to an ex-oceanliner. Even with low fuel oil and empty seawater ballast tanks she'll probably still draw 30+ft. of water.

I'm confident that if she does go to the scrapyard she'll give them more problems than they bargained for.

Closed Thread

Tags
airfix, cydney, fate, fiebig, france, glencoe, kits, latest, models, norway, pakarang, propellers, scrap, ss, timeline