Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2008, 06:27 AM
Administrator

Here's a link to an article on BBC News. I did not alter the title -- yes, it's harsh: QE2's funnel 'to be sliced off'

To me, this is akin to starting the scrapping process. As tough as it was to watch our France/Norway go through it, I'm thinking this might actually be a better alternative for QE2 than to have her funnel replaced by "the most exclusive hotel room in Dubai."
Old 10-13-2008, 01:46 PM

This goes to show that "Stupidity" in running the world stage. And the results are often disasterous, as we have seen in the banking and business sector. I do feel that Dubai will get a lot of eggs thrown in its face. I can't understand why did it go through the trouble of buying the QE2 only to turn it into piece of junk? They might have been better off buying the QM2. I feel that once Dubai is finished with their plans for the QE2, it might turn out to be a business failure. Why turn an iconic ship into a piece of garbage? Obviously Dubai World has not seen the renovations of the SS Rotterdam. Such ashame that they will not follow its example.

Once thing is for certain, a lot of people will be resonding to this news with great anger by writing to Carnival/Cunard about their concerns. Not to mention Dubai World as well. I do wish that someone had started a letter writing campaign voicing their concerns to them.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:58 PM

While I imagine that Capt. McNaught felt constrained in what he could say, reflection suggests,to me at least, that (like QM1), it is better to have the essence of the ship preserved than to have no ship at all.

As the captain says, the only alternative is much worse. The images of FRANCE/NORWAY being devoured by the scrapyard vultures leave an indelible impression. I'll draw more than a measure of consolation knowing that the QE2 on which I sailed three times still exists, and likely will continue to exist in my lifetime, even if in an altered and attenuated form.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:28 AM

Does anyone know if there are any final pictures of France on the beach? I would imagine things are down to the lower half of the hull now, so the remains will be gone in the next month or so, with the engine room being the last bastion to fall.

It still guts me to think that it finally came to this but it's comforting to know that others share the same emotions.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:22 AM

just curious, why do you always see ex military and freight ships sunk for artificial reefs but never ex cruise / passenger ships ??
Old 10-22-2008, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Wolfpack Fan:
just curious, why do you always see ex military and freight ships sunk for artificial reefs but never ex cruise / passenger ships ??
Good question. I honestly don't know, but will bet it has to do with $$$. (Yes, I realize I'm stating the obvious. )
Old 10-22-2008, 04:37 PM

My take on why they aren't used for reefs is the HUGE amount of clean up that would be required to make it more "eco friendly" underwater.

Military and transport ships are mainly comprised of metals...no curtains, carpets, cushions, wallpapers, paneling etc.... not much to do to clean them out and sink them.

Jaimie

02 - 05/18/2009 - NCL - Sky to the Bahamas
01 - 11/28/2008 - NCL - Star to Mexican Riveria (25th Anniversary cruise)

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 10-22-2008, 05:27 PM

Come on cruise boy....this is a site for the SSfrance/SSNorway fans...we know that many people didn't care about the ship...

Thanks maybe you can find another site for modern ships....
Old 10-27-2008, 04:32 PM

Is the SSBlue Lady totally gone? Peter Knego, do you have an updated picture? Regards
Old 10-29-2008, 08:47 PM

Does anyone know if there has been any attempt to preserve parts of the Norway? Given that she is almost gone it would be nice to see as much of the ship as possible saved. The website that originally claimed to have parts has offered very little and next to nothing has shown up on ebay. At least when most older liners unfortunately met the same fate the contents and much of the interiors were auctioned. I would have rather seen her preserved as a Hotel or other attraction but it is too late for that now.

Closed Thread

Tags
airfix, cydney, fate, fiebig, france, glencoe, kits, latest, models, norway, pakarang, propellers, scrap, ss, timeline