Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2008, 08:05 PM

Had anyone ever had a cruise line offer to upgrade your room? Can you upgrade once you have boarded the ship for a cheaper price than you would have paid originally? I'm thinking we should have booked a room with a balcony now that I've read the reviews.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:21 AM

I've heard of people upgrading at embarkation but you are taking the chance that the ship doesn't get sold out. If this is something you'd really like then you might want to check into the possibility now.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 12-01-2008, 04:42 AM
Administrator

Hi Newlywed08. Upgrading after you've boarded is extremely rare. I agree with sparks1093 that you should contact your TA and look into this now, especially as your cruise is less than three weeks away. It's also possible that the prices might have increased, but you never know.

NCL has, in the past, offered what they call Upsells. The way it works is that your TA will get a call offering you to upgrade your cabin for an additional cost. My understanding is that Upsells cannot be requested -- in other words, they call you, not the other way around. We had an Upsell offer years ago, but turned it down as we had chosen our cabin for a specific reason. I don't know if Upsells are still offered -- hopefully, we'll hear from a Member who may have been offered one more recently.

No matter what, don't be concerned about not having a balcony. You are on a port-intensive cruise, so will be out and about often, and any viewing of the sights from the ship is better done from a top deck where you'll be able to look in multiple directions.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:03 PM

Thanks for the advice. I will contact my TA but Lisa, you are probably right. I know on my previous cruises I have rarely been in my room. I appreciate the responses!
Old 12-01-2008, 07:16 PM
Banned

Newlywed:

If your TA can not find an upsell or upgrade then I suggest the following.

1)Determime the amount that you are willing to pay for an upgrade or upsell. This is important. Know your $$$ limitiations before you get on ship.

2) Once on board, request to speak directly with the Hotel Manager. The Hotel Manager is part of the Executive Staff onboard the ship. He has the greatest influence in getting an upsell to a better cabin IF AVAILABLE. He aleady knows what staterooms are available for possible upgrade or upsell. Tell him YOUR story of a newlywed couple and you want your cruise to be special. If available, I am sure that he will carefully make a decision that MAY make your cruise the best ever.

We recently did this on your November 8th NCL cruise, and ended up in the Garden Villa, the best of the best. The upsell price was a once in a lifetime price, and was a deal we could not refuse.

I sincerely hope this method works for you. I have never found a hotel manager that would not listen and try to meet our requests.

Always go to the top of management when you can. These are experienced personnel who have one goal in mind, that is please the passenger when and if they can.

Good luck, go for it.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:19 PM

Thank you Richard and Mary. I might try that! I guess ultimately I don't mind not having a balcony because we won't be in there too often, but it is our honeymoon and it would be nice. I appreciate your help.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:23 PM

Richard, you are so full of it...

Mewlywed08—don't embarrass yourself. I've been on a lot of cruise ships and know better. You just don't walk up to the hotel director and ask for an upgrade.

Sonny
Old 12-02-2008, 05:18 PM
NCL is one of the most hospitable of cruiselines and YES, the hotel manager can and does do such things on an NCL ship. Last month we were upgraded from a balcony to a penthouse aboard the NCL Dawn - there was no additional charge for the upgrade! Three big HUZZAH's for NCL!!!!!!

BillyBuzzy

NB: We were upgraded after two days aboard!
Old 12-02-2008, 05:51 PM

Let's see if I got this straight. 2,000 passengers aboard a NCL ship, all wanted a free upgrade, just walk up to the Hotel Manager and ask for an upgrade. Now, I know the Hotel Manager doesn't have anything better to do than give away upgrades all day, but, how does he pick the best passenger for the upgrade? Like I said before…don't embarrass yourself by walking up to the Hotel Manager (unless you're related to him) and ask for an upgrade. There's usually a reason why a person is upgraded. If you are, good for you. I just don't want to see people getting bad advice from someone here on Cruise-Chat.

Sonny
Old 12-02-2008, 05:56 PM
Administrator

I'd also think twice about owning stock in a cruise line that routinely had suites open for upgrades - especially the "money' suites. That shows a troubled company to me.

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, cruise, line, ncl, norwegian, offer, pier, port, requested, room, ship, suites, upgrade, upgrades, upsells