Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2006, 08:57 AM

I have posted my Dream pictures and the Cave Tubing pictures now. You can view them at

this website
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 10-19-2006, 07:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by IslandCruz:
Thanks all,
Ron, Thanks for the advice about Bermuda and the dockage. My main concern is not about the biggest or grandest ship though. It was about being on the open Atlantic on a smaller ship than I am used to about the motion and ocean conditions. Cruising the Gulf and Caribbean vs. the open Atlantic I would imagine are two different things.
IslandCruz
Compared to today's large cruise ships, the Majesty is small. But, compared to the heyday of North Atlantic oceanliners, when ships sailed the North Atlantic year round, it's not small.

The Majesty is rated at 40,000 gross tons; the SS United States is rated at 53,000 gross tons; it's running mate for US Lines, the SS America was rated at 35,000 gross tons; the infamous Andrea Doria was rated at 29,000 gross tons; the Lustania was rated at 30,000 gross tons; and the Titantic was rated at 46,000 gross tons.

So, the Majesty is large enough to safely sail the Atlantic. It's been doing so since 1992.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:36 AM

Ron,

Thanks, I just notice ship motion more on smaller ships was what I was saying the concern was. And would prefer a larger ship for going to Bermuda. But as you posted that has it's disadvantages about port location. Will take a test run to Bahamas or Gulf..thanks again.

IslandCruz
Old 10-20-2006, 05:45 AM
Administrator

Wonderful photos, JimC! Thank you for the share.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:31 PM

Jim,

Thanks for posting the great pics!

Not to flatter you too much, but you have a nice looking family, and clean up pretty well yourself

I was a little surprized how small the cabin looked compared to CCL's oceanview. Does it just look smaller, or did you feel it was? Sometimes a camera's lense makes things look different.

Photography tip, when taking a pic of an enclosed space make sure there is not a mirror looking back at you

IslandCruz
Old 10-21-2006, 11:41 AM

Thanks for the family compliments... As for the size of he cabin, it was not terribly smaller, they said it was 152 sq ft. Which is smaller than CCL rooms. The depth was about the same but the width was not. There was no desk/counter running down the side of the room. And there was only about 1 and a half feet of space between the end of the bed and the wall. BUT, the space difference really wasn't that bad. I did miss the lack of the desk space (because that is where everything ends up being stored) but the plastic shoe hanger bag worked great. We decided that it was useful enough to warrant purchasing a good one for future cruising.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

Old 10-24-2006, 02:28 PM

Jim,
Did you do any excursions in Cozumel? We are to go on the Dream in December (a surprise Christmas gift for the kids). Have read reviews of Cozumel still in repair and some resorts not fully operational (Chanakaab, etc)
Also, did your kids purchase the soda cards? And what was the Kids Club like?
Thank you for any insight!
Old 10-24-2006, 03:24 PM

JMP-

In Cozumel (the piers are now accepting cruise ships) We did the Intro to Scuba excursion. We have been there many times so this was one thing we had not done yet.

My sister and her daughter did the dolphin encounter/swim thing. Apparently that is back to normal and working again. From other posts here lately, I wouldn't recommend Chakanob (or however its spelled) it is still a work in progress. You can also try paradise beach, we didn't have time to get there but I heard it was good.

The drink cards are not too bad for the kids under 13. You can get a kid drink card for $14. Which is reasonable, my kids still didn't bother with it though, so I can't offer any first hand knowledge of its worth. I will warn you though, my daughters ordered Shirley Temples for dinner (Sprite and cherry juice) which on CCL was considered a soda. NCL charged us for "virgin" cocktails at $3.75 a piece for them. We didn't notice until the second time when their drinks were not included with our drink orders, so beware of the costs of non standard soda drinks.

As stated in the review, my kids liked the Kids Crew club... My younger (11) daughter didn't like it as much since she could not sign herself in and out of the club like she could on CCL, but it was not that big of a deal for her to bring a walkie talkie with her and she could call us if she needed out/in... My 13 year old spent most of her time in the teen activities.

Old 10-24-2006, 05:37 PM

JIM,
Thank you so much for your quick reply! Wow, I'm always so impressed with the help from these places and wonderful people like you! It seems Channunkaab (I think that's how you spell it!) is probably not quite back to full operations, so I am leaning towards the other beach options. My husband & I have visited Cozumel 5 years ago and rented a car, so I am thinking of doing that and then just going to Paradise Beach or Playa Mia. We have to find good snorkeling somewhere as that is the main wish from the kids. I realize we may have to go out to a reef, vs shore snorkeling.
And, thanks for heads up on soda/drinks.
My 3 boys can put some away, so I'm trying to figure out what is the best way to go!
Sure appreciate your quick reply!
Old 11-05-2006, 01:11 PM

Dear Jmp,
I read your chat with Jim. My husband and 13yr old son are going on the Dream the week of 12-30. I believe that the people are what make a fun trip and I can't wait. How old are your boys? We are hoping for our son to meet some friends on this trip maybe we can hook them up. Hope you get this. This is my first time chatting with strangers. We also plan on snorkeling in some fun spots.
Your fellow cruiser, KPR

Closed Thread

Tags
8028, bermuda, bingo, cabin, dream, gambling, kings, ncl, norwegian, pearl, prizes, review, ship, stateroom, warf