Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2006, 10:22 AM

We are on the 6/18 Sprit cruise. We have 2 kids, 9 and 14. Has anyone used walkie talkie's or is there a beeper system that the Sprit has in place already?

Thanks.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Radios work okay as long as you don't have too many decks between you. All that steel can really mess up the reception. They are inexpensive so I'd suggest you buy you own set. The ship will rent them but this ends up costing more than if you bought them. There are many models and some are just FRS frequency, and others have both FRS and GMRS. GMRS freqencies have a longer range but it is actually illegal to use them without first getting an FCC license. No license is needed to use FRS channels. Instructions on how to get a license come with the radios. Of course, no one is stopping you from using GMRS channels without a license but they could. I imagine most people don't bother getting the license.

Another thing to note is that using these radios can be illegal in some countries, although I have never heard of the local authorities in the Caribbean stopping anyone from using the radios.

I have two sets. Both are GMRS capable, and yes, I paid the price for a 5-year FCC license. I think it was $80 and you can do it on-line. Midland is a good brand as is Uniden.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:08 PM

Thanks for the info Dave.

I think I went through your town once. I did my Army MP school in Anniston. It was surprisingly cold in the winter.

Thanks...Chris
Old 05-10-2006, 07:46 AM
Administrator

Chris,

Yes indeed, northern Alabama can be cold in the winter. So much for the deep south being a land of endless sun and warmth!

I did a tour of Fort McClellan back in the early 90's when we had a Vietnam veterans convention in Anniston. I was quite impressed with the MP demonstration they did for us with the police dogs. BTW - they have closed that fort and moved MP school to Fort Leonard Wood.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:36 PM
Banned

To add, make sure you read this before using these new radios. From the wikipedia web site:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Radio_Service

I hope this helps! don't use American radios in Europe, or European radios in America and everything should be okay. Also, be aware of the restrictions in Mexico.

Edited by Dave56 to remove copyrighted material.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:24 AM

i think that walkie talkies are a good idea my friend used them n her ryal caribbean holiday and she said they came use alot but you shouldnt go for cheap ones my family had a meeting point every so often but it is up to you

Closed Thread

Tags
catnival, cruise, cruisf, ealkies, europe, fcc, inspirayion, licence, lines, noerwegian, norwegian, rentals, ship, talkie, talkies, walkie