Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2007, 08:14 AM

Hey Everyone,

Just returned from the Norwegian Sun and wanted to share a few thoughts before I forgot.
I was nervous after reading so many negative reviews but I had a wonderful trip.

Embarking went smooth. We took a city shuttle from the airport for $13.00 per person and it dropped us off right at the cruise terminal. The driver pointed out interesting sites along the way. The line was long to get on the ship but moved very quickly.
Our first sea day was okay. DH was a little seasick so we walked around a lot and looked at the ship. The ship was very clean and well kept. They were always working on cleaning or painting throughout the week.
On this first sea night was the Formal night. We ate at the East meets West which was awesome. Huge steaks.

In Costa Maya- We did the Bike and Kayak tour thru the ship. We loved it although if you aren't in decent shape you will be tired : ). I was but it was still worth it. You ride your bike through the town of Mahaual. There were lots of chances to take great photos.

Next was Santo Thomas. Please don't let the reviews turn you off of this awesome place. Yes when you arrive you are in a container port with Industrial machines and ships. If you take a tour and get out and see the country you will be rewarded with a very beautiful setting. We did the Horse back riding tour that also gives you access to the resort. We had a great time but I will warn you that the horses do look sickly. DH and I almost backed out of the tour b/c of this. The resort is nice with Hammocks on the beach and the use of several pools with slides for the kids. The food served at the resort is very yummmy.

Belize was the next port. We loved Belize. Just off the tender boat you will see a very touristy area (reminds me of Flordia.) Once you get into the city it is hard not to notice all of the trash in the streets. It is still a neat place. We did the zipline and repelling tour. Also a must. We had every body size and age on our tour and not one of us had any trouble doing this tour. Getting out into the "country" of Belize was awesome. Very beautiful jungle. I will warn you though that it is a 1 1/2 bus ride each way on this tour and the road is not a smooth one by any means.

Cozumel- This stop is also very touristy which suited us just fine. We spent the whole day shopping and drinking $1 beers.

I know this post if all over the place. We loved our trip and will go on NCL again!
Our cabin was 7006 on the International Deck. We loved it. Our room stewards were wonderful. Carl and Thomas really know thier job.

We only ordered room service once but it arrived within 15 mins.

We ate at the Buffet for lunch everyday which was fine but it is the same food over and over again.

We ate in both the Seven Seas and 4 seasons both were fine. Overall I would say cruise food is okay. The fact that there is fresh fruit available 24/7 is awesome.

We only saw one show while we were on board it was the Pan show where they do Peter Pan with acrobatics. This was very entertaining. Just don't go looking for Broadway Calibur.

Disembarking was smooth. They give you the option of being first of the ship if you can carry your own luggage thru the terminal. We took this option and we were checking into our hotel by 8.

If anyone has any specific questions please let me know. I know this has been all over the place.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:19 AM
Banned

Cat25, thanks for the great update!! I was hoping you would come back and fill us in, since I will be leaving on the same ship in a few weeks! Did you use the excersise facility at all? I was wondering about how well equipped it was or how crowded. Also weight machines. Glad to hear you had a wonderful time. That does take a bit of the anxiety out of the trip since it has been awhile since I sailed NCL.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:38 AM

Hi Carl,

I did not use the exercise room but did check it out. It's very nice. A lot of people were using it as well as jogging around the deck. I do not think I ever saw it crowded at all. I can't remember what the equipment was aside from the treadmills. Sorry. I do know they had streching classes in there at 7 am every morning. I kept thinking of going but I was to lazy last week.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:40 PM
Banned

Nothing wrong with being lazy at all....a cruise is whatever you want to make of it!
Old 03-13-2007, 01:30 PM

Bike, kayak, zipline and repelling doesn't sound lazy to me.

That is the thing with the buffet. Same tired old stuff day after day. On RCI however, I could count on my bagel, salami, smoked salmon every day before the sun and before my wife arose. Then breakfast in the dining room. I have to eat something when I get up or my stomach thinks my throat was cut.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:36 PM
Banned

Good point Chef Ken! I think the lazy would be not wanting to get up before 7. You are right....as Dustin Hoffman would say in Rain Man........."definately not lazy, definately not. Cat25, did you make it to the chocolate buffet by chance? Was wondering how that was?
Old 03-13-2007, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Thank you for the review, Cat. I'm glad you enjoyed!
Old 03-13-2007, 05:34 PM
Banned

As to having one's throat cut, a reeeeeallll chewy coffee will cure that ailment!
Old 03-13-2007, 08:20 PM

The kind of coffee you find in an all but empty pot at a convenience store at 3:00 in the afternoon.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:14 AM

Ahhh the Chocolate buffet. Well this was something I really didn't want to miss. They had it at 11 pm in the 4 seasons dining room. Before the doors were even opened the line to get in was so long that I gave up.
I did hear other passengers talking the next day saying they were very disappointed. I heard that a lot of the deserts tasted funny. I have to say that most of the deserts I had on board were not the best all though any of the cream cakes were very tasty. I spent most of my time at the ice cream station. It opens at 11 am every day. They also serve yogurt for anyone who would rather have that.

Oh yeah.. they do serve salami and smoked samon every morning at the buffet also. DH and I enjoyed the little buffets outside of the main one buffet. (located in the very back (aft) of the ship. There was never a line as opposed to the garden cafe. Plus then you can enjoy your breakfast outdoors.

I guess you guys are right I wasn't tech. lazy, maybe I was just tired from DH making me do all the active tours.

Closed Thread

Tags
belize, christmas, cruise, line, norwegian, positive, review, reviews, snorkeling, sun