Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2008, 10:12 AM

I just booked my first NCL Cruise! We will be on The Majesty Sept. 6th to Bermuda! I have avoided this ship for quite some time due to its size and age...I hope I am pleasently surprised (Like I was last year with RCCL Empress of The Seas!).

We leave out of Philly at 4:00 p.m. Does anyone know what is the latest time for boarding? We live in Ohio and are debating leaving early (real early) in the morning and driving through on the day of sailing.

A couple of questions for those of you who are experienced with NCL...Am I correct--there is NO formal night even for a 7 day cruise? And, is it true that they no longer give the "Dine Ashore" vouchers?

Since it is "Free-Style" dining, is there still a "lido" type deck with food buffets? (How do you handle gratuties for your wait staff with the Freestyle dining?)

I know that's lots of questions...any help would be great.

Thanks all!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 07-20-2008, 10:28 AM

Gratuities are added automatically to your onboard account. Most cruise lines are doing it this way now. Yes, there will be buffet food along with all the other choices of dining. No, there are no formal nights, it is resort casual. Yes, they did away with the vouchers in Bermuda.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:38 PM
If you so desire, you can certainly dress up on what they call "Formal Night"...I've been on 14 NCL cruises and there are still people that wear a tux and fancy dresses....It's not so much that way anymore, but some still do...I wear a sportcoat and tie....that's as fancy as I want to be....You will enjoy NCL...Have a great cruise...

Bob E
Old 07-20-2008, 05:08 PM

I have been on the Majesty twice in the past year out of Charleston (both times to Bermuda). You can wear jeans to the dining room at dinner if you like but only in the seven seas dining room. The downside to this is that the service is not as good or quick as in the four seasons dining room. The food at the back of the boat is good if you get it right off the grill. The pasta cafe is good and no extra fees for eating there like there is at le bistro.
NCL - Dreamward 97
NCL - Crown 98
CCL - Victory 01
CCL - Fantasy 02
NCL - Majesty 07 and 08
CCL - Sensation 08
Old 07-20-2008, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Since it is "Free-Style" dining, is there still a "lido" type deck with food buffets?
There's a buffet, but nothing of the scale found on newer ships. It's pretty much one line on each side of the forward part of the deck, although we found a fairly good selection. One thing that's lacking is seating. If you can't find a seat in the area forward of the buffet lines, go down one deck to the Observatory Lounge. Most pax don't discover this until a couple of days into the cruise.

There are also themed stations scattered elsewhere on the deck, such as BBQ, Indian, etc., for lunch. These should be listed in the daily newsletter. And, as scchasgal noted, there is a pizza/hot dog/burger station located aft. So, you may have to do some walking for buffet food, but she's not a very large ship.

Enjoy your cruise on my favorite ship!

Closed Thread

Tags
cruies, formal, freestyle, night