Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2006, 10:36 AM

We just booked March 10, 2007 Hawaii Cruise with the ship Pride of America. We are going there for honeymoon and we are so exciting for the day coming. Just read some reviews and I start to get worried about the food, the cabin, and the services. Does anyone know if there is anything changed? Any suggestion and any experiences would be appreciated! Thank you!
Old 12-01-2006, 11:01 AM

PS.The rate in critic cruise for POA is just two stars while most of other ships get at least four stars. Still have time to cancel. Please help~!!! Shall I book the cruise for caribean with Royal Caribean or Carnival instead?
Old 12-01-2006, 05:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Michelle_Aloha:
PS.The rate in critic cruise for POA is just two stars while most of other ships get at least four stars. Still have time to cancel. Please help~!!! Shall I book the cruise for caribbean with Royal Caribbean or Carnival instead?
Where did you find the cruise critic ratings?
Here's the latest ratings, directly from the previously mentioned web site:

Pride of Aloha
Overall 4
Dining Rooms 3
Public Rooms 4
Cabins 2
Entertainment 4
Spa and Fitness 3
Family and Children 4
Shore Excursions 5
Enrichment 3
Service 2
Value for your money 3
Rates 3

Pride of America
Overall 4
Dining 3
Cabins 4
Entertainment 4
Spa and Fitness 4
Family and Children 5
Shore Excursions 5
Enrichment 3
Service 3
Value for your money 4
Rates 4

Pride of Hawaii
Overall 4+
Dining 4
Public Rooms 4
Cabins 4
Entertainment 4
Spa and Fitness 4
Family and Children 4
Shore Excursions 5
Enrichment 3
Service 3
Value for your money 3
Rates 3

Norwegian Wind
Overall 3
Dining 3
Public Rooms 3
Entertainment 3
Spa and Fitness 3
Family and Children 4
Shore Excursions 3
Enrichment 3
Service 3
Value for your money 3
Rates 3

The one area all NCL and NCLA ships seem to suffer at is Service.
Even Cunard's Queen Mary 2, considered the ultimate in service, as they certainly charge enough for it, gets a 4 rating.

I think too many have unrealistic expectations when it comes to service. As ships keep getting larger and larger, accommodating ever larger numbers of passengers,there just isn't enough crew members around to cater to your every whim anymore. The days of cruise ships having 1,000 passengers or less is almost over. Few ships are being built today that accommodate so few passengers, and those ships that do charge significantly higher fares.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:42 PM

Thanks for the reply Ron. I went to cruise critic and cruise critic online as well as many other sites I googled out but I cannot remember now. I did not save all of those rating pages in my computer since I did not know somebody would be interested in those websites. Thank you for the rating you provided. However, I'm not going to argue with you because there are so many rating sites and I know there is no point for you to "make" those ratings up to cheat on me. I just want to let you know that the ratings I saw, most of them give bad rates to POA which makes me very sad and freak me out. There is one site though I remember:
http://www.cruiselines.us/cruiseline...ca_review.html
This one looks very objective. I found that most of the people who took POA would NOT recommend it to their friends/relatives.
I do not know whether you are a POA employee or a really experienced cruiser who just like POA a lot, but I just want to thank you for the information you provided.
Right now I just want to listen more other people's voices. If anyone can provide me some of their real good experiences that would be very helpful.
I just talked to my travel agent and she already provide me a good package with fligts, car rentals and hotels at good price. If nothing improves I would just cancel my cruise and go with a normal trip which would make me a little regretful because we really dreamed about cruise trip for a long time. We are really easy going person but I just do not want to waste that much money on bad cabins, bad food and sucks services.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:36 AM

Michelle, Ron does not work for NCL - he just happens not to have such a negative view of things, and he makes a good point that many people have very high expectations of cruising, while the service on NCL's Hawaii ships, which must by law be staffed by Americans, don't quite come up to those expectations. (I don't work for them either. )

It sounds like you do have those high expectations, and that's easy to do, especially for your honeymoon. (Congratulations, by the way! ) If so, you might be happier with a different cruise, or with a land-based vacation in Hawaii. (Remember you will probably need to be at least 25 years old to rent a car; if neither of you is, I'd go for the cruise, as car rentals are very important when visiting Hawaii by land.) Also remember that, no matter how much you want (or may deserve!) a perfect vacation, stuff happens - and resolve not to let any glitches ruin your honeymoon. Roll with the punches and enjoy. Whether in Hawaii, or on a Caribbean cruise, you'll have warm weather and beautiful surroundings, and it doesn't get much better than that!
Old 12-02-2006, 03:22 PM

Karen, Thank you very much for the reply!!! You are so understanding!
Yes, I agree with your point. We just emailed our travel agent minutes ago to cancel the cruise and to book the land-based vacation. The sad thing is that we only can go to three islands since we just have eight days. But we are happy with the oceanview hotel rooms. Yes, we are both old enough to rent a car. Maybe we can go to Alaska in May. Start to do some research on that one. Thanks again!
Old 12-02-2006, 11:43 PM

We actually do not have that high expectations since we have never been on a cruiser before. We just have the basic requirement about the cruise: easy to get the food to eat (we do not want to wait for 30 minutes every meal), not too bad or even cold food, clean cabin (at least as clean as the hotels rooms in Vegas). Are these that hard to meet? So sad we cannot go to Hawaii cruise....
Old 12-09-2006, 01:22 AM

Hi Michelle,

I am really sorry to hear that you have cancelled your cruise on Pride of America. Like you, my first mate and I were first time cruisers when we went to Hawaii in September. We had the time of our lives! It was truly wonderful!

We also saw some of those terrible reviews and were worried that we had made a mistake, but in the end we decided to ignore them and take the cruise as it came. We had WONDERFUL service except for one barman who was deliberately inattentive who I refused to tip. The food may not have been the greatest I have had in my life buy it was perfectly decent to excellent and was better than I would have expected from a Hawaiian cruise. It was also never cold! We never waited more than 10 minutes for service at a dinner table in the restaurants and one evening we actually completed our three courses in about an hour!

Remember that the reason to go to Hawaii is to see and explore the islands and with such an astoundingly beautiful canvas, the only people who would be disappointed are those who have little care for natural wonders. I think the most cost effective way to see them is by cruise. It is just wonderful to arrive at a different destination almost every day without the hassle of airports and hauling luggage about.

You probably didn't see my impressions of our cruise and excursions which I wrote on this board, and that's a shame. I'm sure you would have found them useful as others have and I would have been more than happy to answer any queries that you may have had. All you had to do was write a reply in one of my threads.

Incidentally, we met a couple on their honeymoon on our cruise in September and they had a wonderful time and memories that they treasure. I have also found that reviews you read on the Internet have to be kept in perspective - in my experience the bad ones have always been unreliable. The Internet is a wonderful medium, but it has made it rather too easy for people to "vent" their anger or disappointment over some service they have received. Always read a wide range and don't be put off by a few disgruntled and vociferous Scrooges. Ultimately, it is all a matter of taste - one man's meat is another man's poison and all that.

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage and do have a wonderful time on your honeymoon. If you get to Maui, make sure you see Lahaina.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:14 AM

Dear Michelle,
I have just returned from the PoAm (11-18/25)cruise and would do it again TOMORROW if I could!!!!! Hubby and I were also 1st time cruisers and read ALL the reviews here and everywhere. We worried over the BAD stuff till we almost talked ourselves out of cruising. WE ARE SO GLAD WE DIDN'T !!!!!!! Do you hear me, we're SO glad we didn't. It was the most wonderful trip we have ever taken, and we have traveled a lot. The people who wrote those bad reviews are entitled to their opinions of course, but we saw NONE of what they spoke of. Let me clarify that:: We saw "rude" people still getting smiles and courtesy and good treatment, when we thought they should have gotten bad. We were always greeted with smiles and politeness from everyone we met. We ate a lot at the buffet because that is what served our purpose, but the times we made reservations for the specialty places we got the time and day we wanted and were seated upon entering and enjoyed AGAIN wonderful friendly reasonably fast service. Some places we just walked up and in without hesitation!! As for the buffet, well, let me say the food is adequate. It was always hot/warm good and filling. What else do you need?? The choices are not limitless, but again, there are enough to get you through the times you will be eating there. And breakfast behind the buffet at the end of the ship open air was breathtaking every morning!! Our cabin was perfect, with the balcony! There was plenty of storage space (almost tooo much actually), and the color of the wood was so rich looking we felt in a 5 star hotel. We had more then enough hangers even after I was instructed to bring my own. I did utilize the over the door shoe holder which was perfect for the bathroom. Silly me it took 5 days to find there was a medicine cabinet behind a mirror DUH haha The balcony was a wonderful addition at night. I KNOW we couldn't see anything, but to look down and see the waves coming up off the ship as she drove through the sea was incredible and the feeling of the warm air at night was a treat knowing it was sleeting rain/snow at home!! Our stewards Anna & Gemma were better then I hoped for. Each morning they greeted me with a smile. WHAT better way to start your day!! Our room was always perfect, as was our stay. Like the Captain says............there is NO BETTER WAY to see Hawaii. I really hope you have not cancelled your trip yet, because there is no better way to go. Again, I am a 1st timer so have nothing to compare to. BUT....this was my 50th B-day and I wanted "special"....and I got it. Not because of the quality of the food, or the colors of the ship. It was special because I spent it with my Husband in Hawaii Snorkeling with Green Sea Turtles and Ziplining and Helicoptering above the Napali Coast line and because I ate more in that week then I do in a month and I got a tan when my friends were in snow boots and winter coats. Maybe Hubby and I are just less demanding of people and things these days?? Maybe we got what we expected....a wonderful chauffered drive from Island to Island, so we could make the most of our vacation. I know this is long and I apologize......I've been meaning to write you Cap't, but jet lag kicked my butt!!! It was all that and more. I hope everyone who goes experiences Hawaii for what she is.....a BEAUTIFUL PLACE TO BEHOLD!!!
Beachbabe2/Tina
Old 12-09-2006, 10:07 AM

Michelle,
Amen to Captain Merky and Beach Babe. I went on Pride of Aloha, the smallest and oldest ship and had my doubts on prevoius views, but I am glad I went and in fact I am booked bac ion Pride of ALoha May 2007. I respned to Captain Merky and Beach Bae when they too had thier doubts and as you can see all of us had a great time. Please feel free to look at my views for info. WHen you read this just click on my name to the left and scroll down on recent posts. But the main thing is you have to be happy, afterall this is a very special time in your life. Congratulations and have a wonderful time however you choose to see Hawaii you will not be disapointed!
Cheers!
Kim

Closed Thread

Tags
america, employee, employees, pride, reviews