Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2006, 06:26 AM

To NCL America Workers / Musicians, especially:

Good luck to all of you !

Can you please share any insights to NCL A life ?

How was the Piney Point training ?

Do most make it through ?

Heard you get $50 a week while training - as
NCL A considers this part of the interview process - true ?

What's the deal with having to join the Union ?
How much are the dues and is there a benefit ?

How long do most folks have to wait upon completion of the 3 weeks before shipping out ?
What do you do if you have to wait ? Are you stuck in Maryland ? Do you get to go home on your own dime if stuck ?

Do musicians and entertainers working on NCL A have to go through same process ( training and the MMD card ? )

What are the REALISTIC chances of promotion ? Can it happen during the current contract/assignment or are you stuck as a galley worker for the duration ? How are new
jobs posted ? Do you see info that the general public in Podunk, Iowa doesn't see on the net ?

Any problems with security on board ? Would it be a bad idea to bring a laptop ? How are the 'net connections on board ?

If you are a galley worker - can you walk around the public areas of the ship when you're
not working ? What is the crew lounge like ? Is there a piano there ?

Musicians - what advice would you give a young jazz pianist who is willing to take a kitchen job to get on board NCL A with the hopes of moving up ?

In general - what advice would you give to a potential fellow worker who is about to go through what you've done ? How have your bosses been ?

What's good and bad about getting ashore ?

What do you know now that you wish you knew before ?

Very appreciative of any feedback.
Good Luck !
Old 07-12-2006, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tread102:
hime 06

I worked on board the POAL. I worked as a front waiter. I would suggest you do it. It was a great time. I completed my contract, and that was enough for me. NCLA was the worst company I ever worked for, and thats why I choose not to go back. If you want to know more email me at fresnerd78@hotmail.com
i was wanting to know how much money does norwegian cruise line pay you while you are in training?please reply a.s.a.p. sincerely,slowjoe
Old 07-27-2006, 06:21 AM

I worked in reception on the Pride of Aloha. Just do 1 contract. Hawaii is beautiful and yes you will get some time off the ship to explore. The passengers complain a lot. Restaurant department works a lot of hours and the passengers always have to wait a long time to eat so they are cranky once they actually sit down. You'll think Piney Point is a drag but once you get to the ship you'll want to go back to Piney Point! Just keep an open mind, smile, and remember that you will be in one of the most beautiful places in the world. Aloha!
Old 07-27-2006, 02:56 PM

can you please tell me if they have cigarette vending machines at piney point because i emailed a recruiter,she told me that they have vending machines their,one more thing the recruiter told me that they give you a allowance of $50.00 a week is that true,when do they give you the money do they give it to you weekly.please reply a.s.a.p. sincerely,slowjoe
Old 07-29-2006, 04:43 PM

I've been off Pride of the Pride of America for 9 months. It was a great experience. Incredible opportunity for advancement. I started out as a waiter and within a month I became a Maitre D'. I left because I felt I had done as much as I wanted to do with NCL.

The other main reason I left was because what I felt was a lack of competence in the corporate leadership. From ignoring the common tourist's complaints, from sexual harassment, the leadership has taken it's MO from foreign ships. And this combination of leadership by intimidation and harassment makes for a bad work environment. But more than that, for an American crew it's demoralizing to work for a company that doesn't even hold a candle to good American corporations.

When I became a maitre'd my goal was to lead by example. For example, when tables needed to be cleared I would help clear them. When I was hungry I didn't eat until every one else was gone or had eaten already. Americans like leaders that lead by example. My Restaurant got the highest marks of any restaurant on the Pride of America or The Pride of Aloha. Christian, the Restaurant manager told me that my theory worked for me and my crew... I suppose that was his way of saying that my philosophy was a good one...

IF you have questions feel free to ask
Old 07-29-2006, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Emerson:
I've been off Pride of the Pride of America for 9 months. It was a great experience. Incredible opportunity for advancement. I started out as a waiter and within a month I became a Maitre D'. I left because I felt I had done as much as I wanted to do with NCL.

The other main reason I left was because what I felt was a lack of competence in the corporate leadership. From ignoring the common tourist's complaints, from sexual harassment, the leadership has taken it's MO from foreign ships. And this combination of leadership by intimidation and harassment makes for a bad work environment. But more than that, for an American crew it's demoralizing to work for a company that doesn't even hold a candle to good American corporations.

When I became a maitre'd my goal was to lead by example. For example, when tables needed to be cleared I would help clear them. When I was hungry I didn't eat until every one else was gone or had eaten already. Americans like leaders that lead by example. My Restaurant got the highest marks of any restaurant on the Pride of America or The Pride of Aloha. Christian, the Restaurant manager told me that my theory worked for me and my crew... I suppose that was his way of saying that my philosophy was a good one...

IF you have questions feel free to ask
can you please tell me if they have cigarette vending machines at piney point,how much are the cigarettes because i emailed a recruiter,she told me that they have vending machines their,one more thing the recruiter told me that they give you a allowance of $50.00 a week is that true,when do they give you the money do they give it to you weekly.please reply a.s.a.p. sincerely,slowjoe
Old 07-31-2006, 08:13 PM

I would also like to know the answer to this person's questions. Lets say I didnt want to continue working on the ship, what would be the outcome if I didn't fullfill my 5 month contract? What are the penaties of doing so?
Quote:
Originally posted by hime06:
hey all

I have accepted a job offer as a server/waitress with NCLA (Hawaii) and will be leaving for training within the next few weeks. I have read SO many horrible reviews of NCLA that I am definitely reconsidering taking the job.
I have read some threads regarding employment but it seems they are quite out of date. Does anyone, particularly current or recent employees of NCLA have any advice?
I have a BA and over 6 years of customer service experience ...I am a hard worker and true people pleaser. I always want to have pride in what I am doing ..and am concerned, after reading so many awful reviews that there is little "pride" in the American flagged "Pride of America" and "Pride of Aloha".
This is a big decision (5 month contract) so any comments, suggestions, advice, etc is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for your time and attention!
Old 08-06-2006, 01:25 PM

I would also like to know this answer. Please let me know. Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by Venom:
I would also like to know the answer to this person's questions. Lets say I didnt want to continue working on the ship, what would be the outcome if I didn't fullfill my 5 month contract? What are the penaties of doing so?
quote:
Originally posted by hime06:
hey all

I have accepted a job offer as a server/waitress with NCLA (Hawaii) and will be leaving for training within the next few weeks. I have read SO many horrible reviews of NCLA that I am definitely reconsidering taking the job.
I have read some threads regarding employment but it seems they are quite out of date. Does anyone, particularly current or recent employees of NCLA have any advice?
I have a BA and over 6 years of customer service experience ...I am a hard worker and true people pleaser. I always want to have pride in what I am doing ..and am concerned, after reading so many awful reviews that there is little "pride" in the American flagged "Pride of America" and "Pride of Aloha".
This is a big decision (5 month contract) so any comments, suggestions, advice, etc is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for your time and attention!
Old 04-12-2007, 08:07 PM

I'm like a year shy on answering these questions.. but I just ran across it so some info real quick if anyone still cares.

You get 50 dollars a day, not a week, if your still at Piney Point when your first pay check is due you get it and cash it there. Yes there is a cig vending machine there, you can also purchase them at the little gift/snack shop there.

anyone on the pride of hawaii around, i miss you guys, some of the best friends you'll ever make.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LegendXeno:
I'm like a year shy on answering these questions.. but I just ran across it so some info real quick if anyone still cares.

You get 50 dollars a day, not a week, if your still at Piney Point when your first pay check is due you get it and cash it there. Yes there is a cig vending machine there, you can also purchase them at the little gift/snack shop there.

anyone on the pride of hawaii around, i miss you guys, some of the best friends you'll ever make.
thanks for the info.

Closed Thread

Tags
address, america, call, crew, discount, employee, employment, junior, long, ncla, pride, wait, waiter, waitress, working