Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2007, 05:29 AM

I just accepted a Gift Shop Sales Associate Position with NCLA.
Are the hours as long as with serving? Any input on this will be appreciated.
Is the training at Piney Point as difficult as I have heard?
Old 05-28-2007, 05:14 PM

when will you start? How tough had you heard about the training? I am considering a job with NCLA, however still looking at it. I would love to here as many pros as well as cons
Old 05-30-2007, 09:25 PM
My friends daughter ,who came ashore for several months, after completing four NCL contracts-found she enjoyed NCL so much-she signed on with NCLA for the Hawaii run. She loves it!!

BillyBuzzy
Old 05-30-2007, 09:33 PM

what is ment when they refer to the USPH/FDA AND SEMS rules and regulations.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:49 AM

I have had my physical and now waiting for a call to when I will take my training.
I know we have to learn to save someone in the water and be able to put a life jacket on them and get them and ourselves into the boat. It is seven days a week.
I would really like to know it the gift shop is 10 hours a day or more. If anyone has any info please let me know before I commit to this.
Lrene
Old 06-02-2007, 10:43 AM
Banned

Spoke with our Butler Amit from previous cruise and NCL will now employ up to 30% of an International Staff to bring the standards back up on the Hawaii routes.

Al of the staff that we meet, and I speak to them constantly and always ask how they like their work. Simply put...they LOVE IT.

LOts of travel, lots of ports of call, great passengers, and many, many renew contracts and have been around the world.

If your young, I say Go For It. You will work hard, but there's nothing wrong with that.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:43 PM

Richard & Mary, they must have re-negotiated their contract with the State of Hawaii if the Butler was right. I understand the original agreement was maximum staffing not to exceed 25% no U.S. citizens on any ship that carried the American flag. That means every ship that does the 7 day sailings. Otherwise to comply with the Jones Act all foreign flagged vessels have to hit a foreign port before returning to a U.S. port.

That's why all the ships that leave the west coast have to either hit Vancouver or a port in Mexico before returning.

Cheers, Neil
Old 06-02-2007, 03:44 PM

should read non-U.S., sorry for the typo.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:18 PM
Banned

Neil:

Perhaps they did. I discussed the NCLA Operations with the Captain in length over a private dinner with him and 5 five others in Le Bistro on the Monday night of our Alaskan cruise. The staff member who was our Butler on the NCL Pearl 9 day on Feb 2nd, was still on the Pearl for Alaska and Hawaii was a topic of discussion when he saw us in Le Bistro. So the info came from him, who has been with NCL for 7 years and will move to the Gem in the fall.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dad of potential NCL A hire:
To NCL America Workers / Musicians, especially:

Good luck to all of you !

Can you please share any insights to NCL A life ?

How was the Piney Point training ?

Do most make it through ?

Heard you get $50 a week while training - as
NCL A considers this part of the interview process - true ?

What's the deal with having to join the Union ?
How much are the dues and is there a benefit ?

How long do most folks have to wait upon completion of the 3 weeks before shipping out ?
What do you do if you have to wait ? Are you stuck in Maryland ? Do you get to go home on your own dime if stuck ?

Do musicians and entertainers working on NCL A have to go through same process ( training and the MMD card ? )

What are the REALISTIC chances of promotion ? Can it happen during the current contract/assignment or are you stuck as a galley worker for the duration ? How are new
jobs posted ? Do you see info that the general public in Podunk, Iowa doesn't see on the net ?

Any problems with security on board ? Would it be a bad idea to bring a laptop ? How are the 'net connections on board ?

If you are a galley worker - can you walk around the public areas of the ship when you're
not working ? What is the crew lounge like ? Is there a piano there ?

Musicians - what advice would you give a young jazz pianist who is willing to take a kitchen job to get on board NCL A with the hopes of moving up ?

In general - what advice would you give to a potential fellow worker who is about to go through what you've done ? How have your bosses been ?

What's good and bad about getting ashore ?

What do you know now that you wish you knew before ?

Very appreciative of any feedback.
Good Luck !

Closed Thread

Tags
address, america, call, crew, discount, employee, employment, junior, long, ncla, pride, wait, waiter, waitress, working