Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2007, 07:06 PM

thanks for the reply captainjoe, have a great day,can anyone give me some information on tattoos.i have 2 tattoos on my left arm that will show with a short sleeve shirt, i have 1 tattoo on my right arm that will show with a short sleeve shirt, i have 1 tattoo on my right calf that will show with shorts on, i have 1 tattoo on my left calf that will show with shorts on, i want to know if i will have a problem getting hired because of my tattoos.please reply A.S.A.P. Sincerely,Slowjoe
Old 10-07-2007, 07:11 PM

If you have visable tattoos the only place you can work is in the galley (kitchen), unless they are VERY small and can be covered with a bandaid, or a watchband or make up or something
Old 10-07-2007, 07:42 PM

thanks for your reply buppa, have a great day. i am going to apply for Utility Galley with N.C.L.A. so i should not have a problem getting hired with my tattoos. is that correct,would you exroomstewardess please give me your opinion on this question,anyone else that is a past or present crewmember. please reply A.S.A.P. Sincerely,Slowjoe
Old 12-08-2007, 05:00 PM

utility galley your in for some fun. lol you should be hired. been six months since i worked on P.O.H was fun training. class 81 as long as you get your mmd and dont screw off to much you should be hired.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:04 PM

50 dollars a week
Old 02-28-2008, 01:18 AM

Ello Everyone,
I just recently came from working with NCLA. I'm going to give you the real insight on it and its not real pretty. Yes I've been only on my first contract and life was bloody hell. For the first week of training, I worked on the America, Most of the people there are Phillapino, which isn't a problem except a lot of them don't like Americans. So your descriminated right off the bat. I made no friends while working there and worked odd end hours. The Supervisor, Adam whispered when he talked so you couldn't hear him,(I was hotel utility). And if you need some chemicals, well good luck find any to use. Galley workers had to be the lowest position on the Totem pole, they were over worked in the most dirtiest jobs and still get underpaid, overworked, and treated with disrespect. The food on the other hand wasn't too bad on the America. I had yet to contend to my roomates, With their oversized stuff in the compact box which I called home. The beds harder then rocks and the constant movement made it hard to sleep, sometimes falling out of bed happened ocassionally. The bathrooms were very tiny, You have maybe a foot of room, You could soap up the walls and clean yourself at the same time!
Moving on to the Aloha was a major change, its Labyrinth like hallways to get to your rooms, I was on Deck 5 all the way forward, there is only one staircase to even get to it. The crew rooms were small, Some people on Deck 2 had to contend with sharing the bathroom with neighbors or flooding happening down the hallway. Within the month of Janurary 2008, The pride of Aloha had 6 fires, Two in Galley, Two in the Spa, One in the Capenter's workshop, and one in the Engine room(which 5 out of the 6 extinguishers did not work). The safety people don't do their Jobs, they just mostly sit around and get paid. If you get injured, Your fit for duty, If your puking blood, your fit for duty. The doctors didn't care what you felt, nor what limbs you were missing, you were always fit for duty. I had a crew member assault me, and nothing happened. I've talked to everyone from Supervisor, Security, Executive hotel director, HR manger, to staff captain. Nothing happened to the crew member, not even a slap on the wrist. The food on the Aloha was terrible, The worst food ever eatten in my life, I only ate cereal after the first week of being there. The chicken and any other kind of meats are not cooked all the way, They will gush blood at you, be warned. And they always Serve rice, with every meal. I never want to see rice again! That ship was a death trap ready to sink. The ship is due to be dry docked on May 11th, it was sold to Star Cruises and they are to likely repair it and rename it yet again. The ship needs to be scrapped, I will tell you, Every passenger on that ship will not be happy, and I truthfully don't blame them. Plus the rocking on the ship was more worse then on the America or the Hawaii, cause they have stablizers where the Aloha does not.
If that was the worst of all your problems, enjoy the smell of arse around the crew mess, and the lovely crew bathrooms that reek cause the Hotel Utility that cleaned them was lazy.

Around Janurary 28th I was transferred to the Pride of Hawaii to help it get ready to go international, and probably one of the best things that could have happened to me, The Hawaii was beautiful, the crew members where very kind, The crew cabins were quite decent, the food was actual food, They just ran out of stuff a lot. You could actually take a nice shower without too many problems, but it has a lot of international people and again, discrimnated right off the bat. I wasn't even given a schedule for like three days, Even though I went up to the House keeping office 3 times to get one and they wouldn't. Finally after going to HR, I got a schedule to finally work only 6 hours a day. That was it?! I went from working in Laundry on the Aloha(Cause I got transferred down there),working 12-14 hours a day to 6 hours a day. What hell was that, and making only 6.25 an hour, doesn't do ****. The access to internet on all three ships was slower then dial up. You spend $20 for an internet card that gives you 3 hours, and you only get to use 1 hour of it, the other 2 is waiting for things to upload. My suggestion, Don't take the risk of working for this awful company, they will treat you real bad, and talk down to you like your a child. I would never resign up for another rotation, I could do better then that.

But I will tell you one thing, On the America no one would talk to me and I had really no friends for the longest time, only the people that went to piney point. On the Aloha and the Hawaii(Which is now the Norwegian Jade), I made the truest friends one could ever ask for, people that would go out of their way to help you, true friends that care, that was the only positive experience I had except for seeing Hawaii's beautiful islands. I'm not over-exaggerating any of this, this is true information from a now former employee of NCLA.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:48 AM

^ I too, am a former crewmember on the Aloha. I was working on the ship in january and I don't know why you said there for 6 fires, thats just false i was on the fire team and we had no fires. There's was a few code alpha's, and that one guy died of a heart attack but thats about it. I remember when we first left for Fanning though, that was in November i think... the night we were leaving there was a problem with the incinerator on deck 3 aft, and there was smoke on deck three down to your waist in zones 5 and 4. It was pretty intense.. i work down in provisions so i was just going about my business and then everyone's screaming FIRE GET OUT OF HERE. ya had to be there..

as far as the other things you said you are correct.. i did my whole contract on the Aloha and, like you, the only good thing I got out of it was some good friends and a chance to see the islands everything else about working for this company is abysmal. They have a terrible system of giving promotions, its all who you know not what you know.. if youre friends with the HR manager then you are guaranteed to get promoted on your second contract, maybe even your first if you really kiss ***. The treatment by managers generally made you feel like a worthless slave. If you slack off, youre treated like a slave. If you work really hard and get lots of stuff done, you get treated like a slave. It doesn't matter HOW hard you work and thats what was contributing to the low ratings we were getting... I think our Christmas/New Years cruise we scored a 68%!! thats so horrible and its the management to blame.. not the little guys.

Closed Thread

Tags
address, america, call, crew, discount, employee, employment, junior, long, ncla, pride, wait, waiter, waitress, working