Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2006, 10:13 AM

hey all

I have accepted a job offer as a server/waitress with NCLA (Hawaii) and will be leaving for training within the next few weeks. I have read SO many horrible reviews of NCLA that I am definitely reconsidering taking the job.
I have read some threads regarding employment but it seems they are quite out of date. Does anyone, particularly current or recent employees of NCLA have any advice?
I have a BA and over 6 years of customer service experience ...I am a hard worker and true people pleaser. I always want to have pride in what I am doing ..and am concerned, after reading so many awful reviews that there is little "pride" in the American flagged "Pride of America" and "Pride of Aloha".
This is a big decision (5 month contract) so any comments, suggestions, advice, etc is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for your time and attention!
Old 06-09-2006, 10:23 AM

Quote:
I have a BA and over 6 years of customer service experience
Question - unless your BA is in hotel management/hospitality - I don't understand why you want to be a waitress on a cruise ship. Being a server is of the hardest jobs I can think of on land (I used to own a restaurant) but on a cruise ship, with the hours you have to work, I am just curious, why...

Old 06-09-2006, 10:37 AM

I have worked in plenty of restaurants and definitely know what hard work it is!

I have lived in both Hawaii and Japan and am interested in possibly moving back to one of the 2 locations. Both are very expensive and thus I am looking for a way to make and save some money to make the move possible. Also, although my degree is not in hospitality I am interested in increasing my food and beverage knowledge and hospitality experience as I am considering a career in hospitality...
Old 06-09-2006, 11:39 AM

I too have lived in Hawaii (back in the '60s) and I can understand your wanting to move back. I'm told that UofH has a very good Hotel Mgmt/Hospitality program as well as a great Tourism program. I guess I would have looked at other avenues as opposed to working on a cruise ship (like one of the hotels - the Hale Kulani maybe?) Another possibility (?) might be the airlines as a flight attendant.

Old 06-09-2006, 12:10 PM

I think the reason you give for wanting this job is a good one. (Want to save some money). This certainly would be a great opportunity to do that since you have room and board. Attitude is everything. There is no reason that employees on the NCL America ships can't have pride in what they do. You may have worked very hard at previous jobs in hotels. But; have you ever been on a cruise? If you have, then you would know the long hours,and how hard the International crew members work. NCL America's crew are Americans. Thus the many problems you have been reading about. Whether we want to admit it or not--American's just aren't used to working the long hours. Many of the crew members on NCL America ships get disenchanted when they find out how hard they really have to work. With the right attitude I think giving it a try for atleast the 5 months is worth the experience.
Old 06-10-2006, 05:19 AM
My friends daughter is on her second employment contract with NCL-she loves it-take the job-it is well worth the experience!
Old 06-10-2006, 12:50 PM

And with your attitude, you will be a driving force in making the experience on NCLA even better! Good for you - I wish you well!
Old 06-11-2006, 11:59 AM
I assume you are young. Possibly right out of college. 5 months is a drop in the bucket. Even if you do not renew your contract you will walk away with a lot of memories. Some good and some not so good. Live life and have fun. Life is what you make it. Americans are not used to working the demanding schedule that is expected on a cruise ship. That's the problem. Many have bad attitudes and for some it is their first job ever. I used to waitress but never 7 days a week and long hours. You probably will make great friends and meet many great and some not so great passengers. Give it a try. I understand many of the employees have got off in port only to not get back on. Hope you do not do that. If you agree to the 5 months stick it out. It is part of being a responsible adult. The biggest problem may be the small quarters and having to share. One of my room stewards told me once that he had to share with 3 others. He was neat and they were all slobs. He said that was the worst part of the job. Best of luck!
Old 06-12-2006, 09:23 AM

hime 06

I worked on board the POAL. I worked as a front waiter. I would suggest you do it. It was a great time. I completed my contract, and that was enough for me. NCLA was the worst company I ever worked for, and thats why I choose not to go back. If you want to know more email me at fresnerd78@hotmail.com
Old 06-13-2006, 07:19 PM

[quote]Originally posted by hime06:
hey all

Hello hime; My sister has just recently taken a job with NCLA and is really worried about taking this position. Could you give me some address that refer to NCLA and any employment issues you may have heard about Thanks! Peppermaniac...Email address Highroc2003@Hotmail.com .

Closed Thread

Tags
address, america, call, crew, discount, employee, employment, junior, long, ncla, pride, wait, waiter, waitress, working