Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2004, 08:29 PM

I booked a cruise on the Pride of America. I went on Priceline & booked a hotel room in NYC. Norwegian called me & cancelled my cruise. They told me I could choose another cruise & get a big 75.00 in ship creidts. Of course, the available cruises were NO WHERE I wanted to go. I got a refund of my deposit...but when I told them I expected them to refund the hotel room I paid for, which was non refunable through Priceline, they refused. I explained to several managers that if I had called & cancelled they would take a penalty out of what I had paid & that it was only fair that THEY had to reimburse me for my hotel room which I could not cancel or change since THEY cancelled not me. EVERY manager I spoke to was rude & refused to help! So now I am stuck with a 121.00 hotel room in NYC that I will not be able to use. I have sailed many times on the other cruise lines. This was my first & my LAST experience with Norwegian. Take my word for it....DO NOT BOOK with them!

Nanci D
Old 03-12-2004, 08:29 PM

I booked a cruise on the Pride of America. I went on Priceline & booked a hotel room in NYC. Norwegian called me & cancelled my cruise. They told me I could choose another cruise & get a big 75.00 in ship creidts. Of course, the available cruises were NO WHERE I wanted to go. I got a refund of my deposit...but when I told them I expected them to refund the hotel room I paid for, which was non refunable through Priceline, they refused. I explained to several managers that if I had called & cancelled they would take a penalty out of what I had paid & that it was only fair that THEY had to reimburse me for my hotel room which I could not cancel or change since THEY cancelled not me. EVERY manager I spoke to was rude & refused to help! So now I am stuck with a 121.00 hotel room in NYC that I will not be able to use. I have sailed many times on the other cruise lines. This was my first & my LAST experience with Norwegian. Take my word for it....DO NOT BOOK with them!

Nanci D
Old 03-13-2004, 07:53 AM

Nanci, because you booked your hotel separately from the cruise line, they were under no obligation to refund you the money for the hotel, no matter who cancelled your cruise reservation. I assume you knew upfront that the hotel booking was nonrefundable. This is a prime example of why any decent TA recommends purchasing travel insurance - and why we usually suggest it be through a reputable third-party company (not through the cruise line).

I sympathize with the treatment you got when calling NCL; believe me when I say there are plenty of companies out there, both travel-related and not, whose level of customer-friendly service has slipped of late. So many companies are cutting staff, and the emphasis these days in most corporations seems to be on the "bottom line," not on service. We all deal with it everyday, sadly!
Old 03-30-2004, 05:07 PM

Nanci,
Karen is 100% correct. The title of your post should don't book with priceline. This is your fault.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:44 PM

I can't help but agree with Karen and Bob.

First, having just sailed on the Norwegian Dawn in March and after having the best vacation of my life, I can't help but feel that any mistreatment you may have gotten from NCL could be partly due to the fact that you knew, in your heart, that you were asking the line to do something for you that they had no moral or legal obligation to do. They could probably sense you were "up for a fight" and did their best to rid themselves of an annoyance as fast as they could.

Having worked in the service industry, I’m 100% behind them. There’s nothing worse than a customer thinking they can be annoying, abusive and mean just to get what they want without any regard for right or wrong. I think much of the lack of service so many of us seem to experience is because we’ve been led to believe that we are always right as the customer and that segues into lying and abuse of another human being and usually the more wrong we know we are, the more abusive we are to the poor person trying to provide us a service. Sorry for the tirade, but try being on the other side once in a while, you’ll no doubt change your tune!

Besides Nanci, how can you blame a storm in Northern Germany on Norwegian? Everything that happened to the Pride of America was completely out of their control. What was within your control though was to book a room that was refundable or accept the consequences of your actions in booking a non-refundable room. Think about how a company like priceline provides you with these discounts. By booking and prepaying for blocks of accommodations well in advance of their intended use. If you want to reap those benefits, you must assume some risk! Life is a risk after all and if the worse thing that ever happens to you is that you lose a few bucks on a hotel room, consider your life blessed!

Of course, these are just my thoughts on the matter, for what their worth.

But let me leave you with a final comment. If the world throws you lemons, then make lemonade! After all, New York is a great city; go there, see a show and enjoy yourself and while you're there, plan your next Vacation. I highly suggest you give NCL a chance. It's a great line, if you're there on a Sunday, go to the pier and just have a look at the Norwegian Dawn. Put away your bitterness and try NOT to be impressed by her. I bet you won't be able to do it. She is an engineering marvel and NCL is a great company!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 04-04-2004, 09:48 AM

Sailed on the Zuiderdam 09/27/03.One of our stops was the island of St.Maarten.Ichecked with attendants at the gangplank to see if we could bring booze onboard.They said yes and gave me a bring as much as you want look.I bought two bottles of Baileys Irish Cream,walked onboard with bottles in full view and they said nothing.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:37 AM

Well this is just another example where booking with a company like Priceline is not the best choice. To be honest I looked at Priceline, Hotwire, etc for a hotel in North Carolina. I decided against it and checked Expedia...guess what? They were $20.00 higher than booking with the hotel directly online. Same category, same hotel and dates. Go figure. I personally don't like booking with those companies....its been proven time and again that the best place to book with thru your local TRAVEL AGENT!!!!!!
About losing your $$ to priceline because NCL cancelled your cruise....thats your fault and you should have purchased travel insurance. Just imagine if you bought your cruise thru Priceline and you cancelled....you would have been out a whole lot of money. Let this be a lesson. NCL is a very good cruiseline. You just don't like their policy which is stated clearly in their brochure. Read It.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:23 PM

Why are you bashing Nancy??? NCL has completely screwed up the entire Pride of America/Pride of Aloha fiasco. The horror stories of the mess have been all over Cruise Critic and other sites. Letters have been written to Congressmen about NCL's handling of the mess and their mistreatment of customers. Stories of NCL moving people from the new larger Pride of America to the smaller Pride of Aloha (with less amenities), dropping them down catagories and then NCL asking them to pay more! One family was moved from a balcony room on the America to a porthole room on the Aloha and asked for $125 more! Is that any way to treat displaced customers? They have handled different ship trades differently: Those switched from the Norweigan Sky to the Superstar Leo(aka Norweigan Spirit) for the summer Alaska runs were given $75 shipboard credits but those switched from the brand new America to the refurbished Aloha, got nothing!

NCL has the WORST customer service in the industry and they don't care. I could sit here and cite example after example of stories I have read where their drive for profit have trampled on the best interests of their customers. Don't complain to NCL, you will be put on hold for hours. (ask my dad) Don't believe everything in their brochures...it is not accurate and they lie. (I have a signed letter from an NCL customer service manager saying "there is no way that everything that we put in our brochures can be accurate.")

So before we bash someone for complaining, let's look at the whole picture. A lot of people are turned off of NCL now because of the way the America/Aloha/Sky/Spirit mess has been handled. Of course the "NCL Rah Rah's" will bash those who complain, it happens on all the sites.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:09 PM

Anyone can have a bad experience with a cruise line, or a good one. Sometimes it is the fault of the cruise line, sometimes that of the person having the bad experience, often it is no one's fault at all. Having read these posts, I do not feel we have been "bashing" Nanci as much as NCL just got bashed (by an anonymous "guest"). As I pointed out in my previous post, NCL's customer service apparently did not treat Nanci well, and I know that NCL is not the only one with this problem! But to be fair, she did admit she booked her hotel with Priceline.com, which clearly states its nonrefundable policy, and for which NCL has no obligation to cover her loss. If she had booked her hotel through NCL, then they would have been obliged to reimburse her for it. Simple as that.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:59 PM

Geeez, am I reading the same thread? Of course NCL doesn't have any responsibility. How would they know that the hotel was booked with PriceLine.com?

Closed Thread

Tags
book, booked, booking, cruise, ncl, norwegian, priceline, purchasing, review