Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2008, 12:39 PM

Hello!
This is my first cruise for my big 40th b-day! I'm excited to go, but have a couple worries/questions.. I hear the ship has self serve laundry rooms - which is great, but now I'm worried where they are. My room is on deck 9 9057. There seems to be an empty space near my room - is that where the laundry is? The NCL person told me is was just a storage closet. I figured it would be quiet. I asked another NCL person and they didn't know.. no one seems to know. Please, can anyone let me know if I'm right next to the laundry room?
Also, has anyone cruised in early November in Med (barcelona/Italy/France)? Will it be cold or rainy at that time? I keep hearing about laying at the pools and wearing bathing suits during the cruise, but it seems to me that it may be too cold for that?
If anyone can help - I would totally appreciate it.. just the first time cruise jiiters I guess!
Gatorgirl90
Old 09-22-2008, 12:31 PM

hello gatorgirl,
congratulations on your upcoming birthday. do not worry, the laundry or cleaning room as it is called is on deck number 5. well away from you. I am taking the same cruise but sailing on Oct 12. i live in Spain and the weather here at the moment is certainly not swimming pool weather, but I am optimistic and am taking beach gear etc with me. i will let you know when I get back !!!
best regards
Stuart
Old 09-22-2008, 12:41 PM

Hi Stuart!
That is so great of you to let me know! I really appreciate it and feel more relieved.
You live in Barcelona? You'll have to let me know what I should see/visit while there for a couple hours before the cruise.
Good luck on your cruise - I hope the weather stays warm for you! Yes, definitely let me know how it goes for you.
Thanks again for your help!
Pam
Old 09-24-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gatorgirl90:
Hello!
This is my first cruise for my big 40th b-day! I'm excited to go, but have a couple worries/questions.. I hear the ship has self serve laundry rooms - which is great, but now I'm worried where they are. My room is on deck 9 9057. There seems to be an empty space near my room - is that where the laundry is? The NCL person told me is was just a storage closet. I figured it would be quiet. I asked another NCL person and they didn't know.. no one seems to know. Please, can anyone let me know if I'm right next to the laundry room?
Also, has anyone cruised in early November in Med (barcelona/Italy/France)? Will it be cold or rainy at that time? I keep hearing about laying at the pools and wearing bathing suits during the cruise, but it seems to me that it may be too cold for that?
If anyone can help - I would totally appreciate it.. just the first time cruise jiiters I guess!
Gatorgirl90
Old 09-24-2008, 01:14 PM

Hi Gatorgirl90!

When searching for our cruise details I found your comment on cruise chat. We have booked the same Mediterranean cruise, but we will start already on 28th September 2008 in Barcelona (4 days left...). It is our 6th cruise (former with MSC, AIDA, Costa) but the first with NCL. My wife will celebrate the 40th birthday too during this cruise. And our cabin is also on deck 9. What a coincidence ! If you like, I will answer all your questions, when I am back. But I have no idea, how to contact you. Nevertheless - if you are interested in - I come from Germany and my home is 1 mile far away from the next cruise harbour. There I saw the NCL Jewel - the same ship as the Gem - several times from my window. And now we will start our own cruise...

And I visited the Mediterranean Sea several times in October and November. You can expect temperatures between 20 and 28C. Both sunny and rainy days are possible. So it is difficult to decide what clothes you need.

Greetings koggi
Old 09-24-2008, 01:39 PM

Hi Koggi-
That is a great coincidence (same trip, deck 9, 40th B-day,etc)! I'm jealous you are going on the cruise next week - I can't wait any longer!
I would love to know what you thought of the cruise, deck 9, things to do on the boat and things to do at the ports. You can email me at grndilusn@aol.com if you'd like when you get back. I would really appreciate it! Have a great time on your trip!
Thank you,
Pam
Old 10-26-2008, 02:22 PM

Hi,
I didn't see a sailing date, is your sail date Nov 2 on Gem from Barcelona ? I'm going to be on that cruise, deck 8. Did you book tour in Italy through NCL or do thing on your own. My friend and I start to look (yeah, we are a little behind schedule.:-). Do you mind sharing info about the tour with us if it is not with NCL ? There tours are a little spendy for us. TIA.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Hi danie88, and welcome to cruise-chat.

Check out our Roll Call list on our Roll Call board. There is another member (anniversarycouple) on your cruise. I'll add you to the list, as well.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:28 PM

Hi Danie88 -
We are going on the NCL Gem Med Cruise starting Nov 9th-16th.. You're going one week before us We booked through NCL here in America (Los Angeles).. The port tours do seem expensive - we will most likely book trains from the ports to the cities and then either walk around or go on one the many hop on/hop off bus tours at each city. In Rome it is suggested to visit the Vatican first and then Coliseum/Forum, etc later.. I visited Rome years ago for one day and that is how I did it - it seemed to work out. I would hope/think most ports in November won't be too crowded! I hope the weather is relatively warm and sunny! We haven't booked or looked at anything too specific yet...just been searching things online for now. We'll start figuring out things this week - wow didn't realized how close the trip is - we got to get going on it as well! :-) Hope this helps! And have a great cruise!
Old 11-03-2008, 06:00 AM

hello gator girl,I will cruising on the gem from the 4/11 up to 11/11 joining the ship from Malta therefore you will embark on the last two days of my cruise.In civitavecchia you can take a train to rome,the station is about three blocks away from the entrance to the harbour and stop in stazione del vaticano and then proceed south to end at stazione termini.pls check trenitalia website which is very informative. During your short stay in Malta try to avoid the white taxis as they are quite expensive but take an open bus tour which costs around 15euros.Malta is a lovely place to see. Our cabin is deck 10 (10120).
Quote:
Originally posted by Gatorgirl90:
Hi Danie88 -
We are going on the NCL Gem Med Cruise starting Nov 9th-16th.. You're going one week before us We booked through NCL here in America (Los Angeles).. The port tours do seem expensive - we will most likely book trains from the ports to the cities and then either walk around or go on one the many hop on/hop off bus tours at each city. In Rome it is suggested to visit the Vatican first and then Coliseum/Forum, etc later.. I visited Rome years ago for one day and that is how I did it - it seemed to work out. I would hope/think most ports in November won't be too crowded! I hope the weather is relatively warm and sunny! We haven't booked or looked at anything too specific yet...just been searching things online for now. We'll start figuring out things this week - wow didn't realized how close the trip is - we got to get going on it as well! :-) Hope this helps! And have a great cruise!

Closed Thread

Tags
barcelona, bus, deck, dryers, gem, hop, jewel, laundry, malta, ncl, review, room, serve, tour, washers