Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 10:52 AM

I'm about to go on my second NCL cruise. My first cruise on the Pearl in 2007 was great and I was looking forward to my next cruise with my new sweetie.

So I contacted NCL about a cruise I was interested in on the Jewel this month. I wanted to get a mini-suite since this was going to be my sweetie's first cruise. The person on the phone said that If I book with them right now I would get a $300 credit that I could use onboard during the cruise. I said this was great, because I wouldn't have to see my travel agent and I could just take care of it now.....

Then after reserving came the email that I would only get a $100 credit. WHAT!!!

I called them back and they said that I would only get a $100 credit. This is not what I was told and after asking to speak with a manager he said that there was nothing that he could do. After I enquired further he said that he would have some one call me back the same day. I have not received that call after a week.

Has anyone here every had this Bait and Switch happen to them? Does anyone know of someone else I can contact about this? This entire incident has already soured the cruise, and we haven't even left home yet.

Thanks for your help.

Also thanks for all the good information in this forum. I have enjoyed reading the various posts here.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Welcome to cruise-chat.

See what happens when you don't use your agent?

All I can say is you are stuck, given you are already within the cancellation period. You can play phone tag with NCL and only get more frustrated. In the big scheme of things, it is only $200 so I wouldn't let that ruin my cruise. I just wouldn't forget it when the time came to book my next cruise.

Chalk it up to "lessons learned". I'd think an agent could get the onboard credit too and perhaps would have ensured it was $300 before finalizing things.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:40 AM

It's possible that the NCL person you spoke with was not completely up front with you about who gets the $300. Sometimes onboard credits are listed as "up to $300" depending on the type of stateroom you reserve. If the NCL person said, intentionally or not, that you could get a $300 credit if you book right now, s/he may not have had your specific type of mini-suite in mind, or may not have been up front about the credit available for your category of room.

Did any of the NCL folks you've spoken to since then say that the $300 is for a Villa Suite or anything like that?

Some cruise lines have a "Customer Care" department or similar. You could try calling NCL again, and ask if the NCL agent's conversation with you was recorded.

As Dave points out, using a travel agent is something you should consider in the future. Having an experienced advocate working for you both before and after the cruise is always a good idea.

Sorry about this, as it does sound like a real downer. But try not to let it ruin your anticipation of the cruise. Just remember the great time in store for you both.

Sandy
Old 02-02-2009, 12:00 PM

Thanks for your replies.

At the time I made my reservation they were offering "up to $500" in credit. The worst part was the lack or concern. They never said "Sorry, we made a mistake" or offered any apology. Some acknowledgement of the error would have gone a long way. Terrible customer service indeed.

I will call them back and ask to speak to the customer care department. Working in sales myself I found their attitude to be very poor.

And here I was telling everyone how great NCL was.

Thanks again for the advice.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:13 PM

I also had the worst experience EVER out of any Cruise Line,, Ready for this.. I called to get info on depature time and price. Ispoke to a woman Named . Then i called my wife she had to get clearence to get off work, it took about 3 hours, when i called back to book the Cruise the Price MORE then Doubled in Price, Spoke to a Supervisor said her name was , and the price can change in a few hours,MORE THEN DOUBLE??? Scam dishonest ripoffs no intergrity USE ANY OTHER CRUISE LINE NOT THESE SCAM ARISTS....I`VE BEEN ON QUITE A FEW NEVER TAKEN FOR A RIDE LIKE THIS...

Old 02-05-2009, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Sorry to hear of your situation, larryd. Perhaps the first quote was the base fare, and the second included taxes and fees? Some cruise prices have gotten so low that the base fare is not much larger than the combination of taxes, fees and other charges tacked onto the total cost.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:55 AM

Yet another reason to use a Travel or Cruise Agent!

It could have been a mis-quote by them, or a mis-understanding on your part. This is unfortunate, but it is very true that the rates change within a day. They can change up to four times daily. An Agent could have locked in the price for you without a deposit while you decided. As Dave said regarding Vacaman's post.. Chalk it up to lessons learned.

Dwayne
Old 02-08-2009, 04:45 AM

I just booked two staterooms with NCL and the telephone rep was wonderful. I had my reservation (for 7 people) done in about 10 minutes. Of course I had throughly researched NCL's website and had my staterooms picked out and knew how much they were. Whether you are doing your own reservation or going through a TA a little research goes a long way.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 02-08-2009, 06:30 AM
Banned

I see no reason for any cruise line to bait and switch customers. I don't believe that RCL,CCL or NCL does this. There must be miscommunication somewhere between the customer and the cruise line company. It would not make any sense for any major cruise line company to do this. The cruise line compnaies have the right to change prices as they see fit, but I do not believe that they do this intentionally.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:39 AM
larryd, Depending on how close to the cruise you were booking, you may have been quoted the price for a category of room that was no longer available when you called back three hours later. Some of the deeply discounted categories have only a handful of rooms.

Need some cruise help?

Closed Thread

Tags
agent, bait, cabins, credit, credits, cruise, line, made, ncl, onboard, reservation, switch, switching, travel, usage