Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2010, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave:
Quote:
Sounds like I hit a nerve with you guys.
Quote:
No. It's just that those of us with knowledge of the cruise industry understand these things.

...I don't board any cruise ship expecting cable or DSL speed. It is a technology that hasn't advanced much over the years regardless of the cruise line. Most of the lines use the same service provider for their satellite access....
Did you ever consider that "it is a technology that hasn't advanced over the years" because the cruise lines don't want it to advance? I know some friends who have satellite service (same satellites) and it is not slow like on a cruise ship. If cruise lines use old technology or too few satellite uplinks, passenger access will be incredibly slow - but they make a killing by charging between 40 and 75 cents per minute for passenger access.

Its the same type of thinking that says "make sure passengers do not bring their own liquour on board and let's charge $11.50 for a rum and coke with gratuity - in their room or in a bar, we'll make a killing!" A one litre bottle of Bacardi rum in the duty-free store on board is $12.95, and even if they paid double that for the ship's liquour (which they don't), that means they may pay a maximum of 75 cents per shot and maybe 25 for the mix. Profit per drink? - $9!

They probably think it would be the end of the world if they charged $6 per drink but I'd bet that by halving the cost of drinks they would double the amount of profit they make on alcohol.

The same would hold true for internet access. Make the speed reasonable and even if they charged the same outrageous rates to passengers, I am certain they would get double the customers or more.

Quote:
You didn't like NCL. Sorry to hear it. They have posted record income and sales are at all time highs, so they must be appealing to lots of passengers who do enjoy the cruise product being offered.
So therefore don't complain. If the cruise lines are doing well - they can't do better. Really?.

Quote:
I must also point out that our forum rules do not allow posts which are inflammatory or confrontational, such as those with insinuations about the tipping habits of other members, or the hitting of nerves....
If I state my opinion and you disagree and confront me on it, you are just being a moderator with more cruise experience than me.

If I disagree with your opinion or stick by my guns, I am confrontational?

Disagreement is not confrontation, it is often just healthy dialogue - even when its a bit uncomfortable.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:35 AM
Administrator

The OP was seeking information on the NCL Gem.

This thread has now been hijacked and devolved into a sweeping critique of the cruise industry, using anecdotal observations and unsubstantiated claims.

As the administrator of this forum I won't be lectured about my application of the forum rules.

I am closing this thread now, not because I feel "a bit uncomfortable", but because of the above comments and facts.

If anyone thinks I am stifling criticism of the cruise line, well, you can just think that. The fact is this forum is full of posts by me, other staff members, and general members which criticize cruise lines. I recently posted a blog on CruiseMates questioning cruise ship bar prices. The difference is we were capable of addressing the issue and not get into taking personal shots at each other, or launching into lectures.

We are done with this thread.

Closed Thread

Tags
12, bacardi, bottle, city, classes, critics, cruise, debarkation, gem, gratuity, line, liquor, menus, ncl, norwegian, salaries, ship, tips