Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2008, 10:59 AM
Dave: I am interested in knowing what WAS done if anything. I couldn't get them to tell me very much except that it was an adult passenger. They said security "talked to them." But...what does that mean? I asked to "talk to them" also. My request was denied (as I would've expected) I wasn't going to start anything, but would've liked to known what in the world they were thinking.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:01 AM

From NCL's FAQ section:

"Each person is allowed up to 200 pounds of personal luggage on board. However, if you are traveling by air, ask the airline if it has different restrictions. Airlines and NCL have limited liability for loss, so be sure all baggage and personal belongings are properly insured. Suitcases should be securely locked and tagged. You should hand-carry medication, jewelry or other valuables and important documents."

That's almost 3/4's of a ton for my family .

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 12-23-2008, 11:04 AM
That's right Sparks. Which again, was an oddity to us. We could have 200 pounds of stuff, but not more than 50 in one suitcase. We just added an extra suitcase just in case they WERE going to enforce that 50 lb max rule.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:57 AM

I just found out Carnival has weight restrictions too!

50 pounds per bag. I have never heard of it being enforced.

Dwayne
Old 12-23-2008, 12:03 PM
Administrator

RCI is vague about luggage, saying guests may bring a "reasonable amount".

I'd say enforcement is as mentioned earlier - for obviously heavy and bulky items. They are apparently looking out for the welfare of the crew who has to schlep the bags all over the ship.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:56 PM

I wouldn't blame a cruise line for imposing some weight restriction on luggage. Some people are lucky enough not to have to fly, so they can pack those 70 pound suitcases. However, I think 50 pounds is a little too strict. After reading the past few reviews on NCL, I wouldn't be remotely interested in booking on their line. Princess has my interest though. I just have to find that super duper deal to get me away from RCCL.

Sonny

Old 12-23-2008, 03:21 PM

Sonny, you'd be a fish out of water just like me.

I'd like to give Princess a try as well. I say "Why Not?" try new things.

NCL does seem to get more negative reviews in proportion to passengers carried it "seems". It Could be a fluke though.

The 50 pounds is a little on the restrictive side. Probably why they are not enforcing it.

Dwayne
Old 12-23-2008, 05:20 PM

I'll be on my 50th Royal Caribbean cruise in 5 weeks. I think it'll be hard for me to get out of the rut. I do get a lot of perks: bridge tours, galley tours, and behind the scenes tours. On our last cruise the Captain invited my wife and I to dinner at Chops (one of the specialty restaurants). Then there's a real good chance on getting upgraded to a suite. With all these perks, most people would think I'd be crazy to sail on another cruise line. I still have this urge to book a Princess cruise. I know I'd be fish out of water, but I'd flop around in style.

Sonny

Old 12-23-2008, 06:57 PM

Congratulations Sonny on your upcoming 50th cruise with RCI!

I don't have any where near that many cruises with CCL. Yet, I understand the loyalty and being rewarded for it. And the feeling of being at home when you board.

I guess we better get back to the topic though.

Dwayne
Old 12-24-2008, 04:03 AM

quote:
NCL does seem to get more negative reviews in proportion to passengers carried it "seems".

I think it's like comparing Hotel chains, Days Inn is not going to compare to Mariott in a lot of areas, but neither is the Mariott going to compare to the Ritz-Carlton. For grins I quickly went on the websites for Princess and NCL. A 7 night eastern caribbean cruise on Princess goes for $679 for an inside cabin and the 7 night NCL itinerary goes for $479. In addition to price each cruise line has developed its own personality and each tries to attract certain demographics.

I'm a complete neophyte when it comes to cruising (well, my cruises were all on large ships with guns in my prior life) and my wife and I have been on 1 weekend cruise. Initially I was drawn to RCCL but went with NCL first because of itinerary choices, cost, departure ports and I'm kind of a "whatever" type person, so freestyle cruising seemed intruiging.

The thing I've noticed is that a lot of NCL's negative reviews seem to be written by those with a lot of experience on another line. While this is a natural thing to do it can maybe a little misleading to someone that's never cruised (that line) before.

Anyway, my personal goal is to have as many cruises under my belt someday as Sonny V or Richard and Mary or anyone else that has more than, like, two. I'd also like to have at least one sailing on each cruise line.

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
baggage, corkage, cruise, fee, limit, lines, luggage, ncl, norwegian, pearl, richard, strict, weight