Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2007, 09:34 PM

We just had to cancel our cruise for 2/2/07 on the NCl Pearl. We are sad. My husband had a bad accident involving a golf cart. He is in the hospital and requires multiple surguries. We are so glad we got the cruise insurance. We never in a million years thought that a game of golf could cause something like this. He will be out of work for sometime. If we didn't have the insurance combined with lack of income we would be worse off. He may recover from his injuries but never fully. We are however going to plan another cruise as soon as he heals. GET THE INSURANCE!!
Old 01-15-2007, 09:53 PM
Banned

Mary B...so sorry to hear about your husband. The best to him, as you would have been on our cruise that date. I do agree 110% that it is wise to BUY the cruise insurance. On our NCL Dream voyage with my 82 year old father,the cruise insurance paid for itself. He needed medical attention and the ship's Dr, Dr. Jefferson and his nurse were called to my fathers cabin for emergency medical assistance. They were extremely fast to get to the cabin, both very well versed and did a follow-up within hours and the next day. Since we had insurance for the cruisefor my father, there was NO COST for the medical atttention. I figured the cost would have been in excess of $200 + for the ship's emergency Dr's and nurse's visit. Not going on a cruise is one thing, but if your elderly, and have some medical problems that may need attention, plan ahead, and BUY the insurance. It's well worth it. Sometimes travelers may not buy the insurance becuase they will never use it, and think it's a waste of money. It's no difference than having theft insurance on your car, it may never get stolen. Or having homeowners insurance on your residence in case of fire, it may never burn down. But one thing for sure, if there is an unforeseen circumstance as in our case or Mary B's case, then you realize the value of the cruise insurance.

Richard & Mary
Las Cruces, New Mexico USA
Old 01-15-2007, 11:04 PM
Administrator

mary b., my thoughts and prayers are with you and your husband during his treatment and recovery.

Both maryb and Richard&Mary illustrate why insurance is critical for every one of us, no matter our ages. In maryb's case, the insurance covered costs incurred by cancelling the cruise. In Richard&Mary's case, the insurance covered costs incurred during the cruise. Many people I talk with don't even consider the second part as a possibility. We will always purchase a policy that covers cancellation AND trip interruption (including medical evacuation). And we always purchase it within the window that provides for coverage of pre-existing medical conditions.

mary b., please keep us posted on your husband's condition when you are able.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:41 PM

thanks for your thoughts and prayers. he is recovering slowly but surely. you make good points regarding the insurance. it never really occured to me that we might need it during the cruise. my main concern at the time of purchase was our 11 year old son. kids get sick and we thought nothing would be worse than going on a cruise with a kid with the flu. so there are many reasons to get the insurance and we now know at least two of them. Richard and Mary, do let us know how the cruise is after you get back. we will still try to cruise on the Pearl at a later date when all is well.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:10 AM

Mary B ....

Just out of curiosity, did you purchase the insurance through the cruise line or did you have a "third party" policy through another company? I've read some horror stories about some companies and am just curious.

I hope things are now going better for you.

Robert
Old 01-19-2007, 12:36 PM

Sorry to hear about your hubby. My thoughts and prayers will include you both. Hope to hear back from you under happier circumstances and that you will soon be sailing again. Best wishes!
Old 01-19-2007, 12:45 PM
Administrator

mary b,

So sorry to hear this news. I couldn't agree more - get the insurance. You never know what might happen between the time you book a cruise and when the ship leaves. I'd rather knowingly "lose" a couple hundred dollars in insurance premiums than suddenly lose a $5000 cruise.

We booked our upcoming cruise on the Liberty last summer. Two months later I am sitting at this computer doing what I'm doing right now when the phone rang to tell me my wife had just been loaded in a medflight helicopter and my son was also headed to the hospital in an ambulance. Thankfully they are okay now, and we will be able to take that cruise.

I'll be thinking of you, your husband, and family as you get through this medical crisis.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:46 PM

Robert,

to answer your question. we were offered the insurance from the travel agency which this time was Vacations to Go. The insurance is CSA. so far it seems that we received about 1/2 of the credit from Vacations to Go. the remainder will come from CSA after I fill out a rather detailed form, have the doctor sign it and prove that we paid for the cruise (copy of credit card transaction) and any documents we have. I don't expect any problems though they said it could take up to 3 months to see the credit.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:48 AM

Mary B. God bless you and your husband.

From Cruise Reviews site, see the article:
http://www.cruisereviews.com/Insurance.htm
http://www.travelinsured.com/banners...?agentid=46153

I recommend not getting the insurance that the cruise line offers and go after something much more inclusive, like med-evac, hotels etc.

Ken
Old 01-23-2007, 07:30 AM

I agree with all of the above. Mary, I wish the best for you and your family, and hope for a full (or nearly-full)recovery for your husband!

Closed Thread