Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2005, 07:37 AM

Hey everyone.. I am going on the Wind the first week in September. I am looking for some information on what are the best things to do in each place... Also how was the rental car situation? I have seen that most car companies close early. Is there night time drop off? Is it hard to get a cab back to the boat?

Thanks a bunch!
Old 08-04-2005, 08:05 AM

Hi Helen,
Welcome to cruise-chat. If you want us to suggest things to do in each place we need to know where the Wind is going. (What ports specifically?)
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 08-04-2005, 06:42 PM

Oops... that is true.

I know that I should go to the Volcano Natnl Park in Hilo so I have that covered.

The other places I am wondering about:

Kona - I have no idea what to do there

Lahaina, Maui - is the Road the Hana worth the time?

Kauai - With only one day what is the best thing to do ?

And then we will be in Honolulu for 3 days after the cruise. What do you recommend doing?
Old 08-04-2005, 08:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by HelenMartin:
Also how was the rental car situation? I have seen that most car companies close early. Is there night time drop off? Is it hard to get a cab back to the boat?
Hawaii is rent-a-car heaven! I recommend you reserve your car far in advance. Check with your favorite rent-a-car company to check open and close times on each island stop, and rental location.

For example, Hertz will pick you up at the pier on most of the islands. On some islands, they're open 24-7, on other islands they're not. Some locations may be sold out, others not. So arrange your rentals far in advance.

As for where to go, that depends on what you like doing.
If you like driving on a slow twisted highway, the road to Hana may be fun. But it will consume most of your day, going and coming back. You might prefer to do something else on Maui instead, like climbing to the top of the volcano and check out the craters beauty, and check out the telescopes up there too.
On Oahu, don't pass up the chance to tour Pearl Harbour and the Arizona. If you're into surfing, a ride to the North Shore may be more to your liking.

To get ideas, check out the shore excursions on the NCL web site. What most people are willing to pay to do is already listed for you.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:53 PM
Most of the car rental companies will not let you take a rental car on the Hana road. Our day in Maui we rented a car and just explored the island. We found a really neat arboretum and on our way to IAO State Park we discovered a county park with oriental gardens. Very neat. We stopped at a state beach and spent time in the ocean. It was nice because there were changing facilities and showers.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:54 PM
I forgot - - - on Kauai - the must do is Waimea Canyon. I have also heard it is great for a helicopter tour (which we didn't do).
Old 08-06-2005, 08:24 AM

Hi Helen,
I would add Akaka Falls to your list of things to see in Hilo.

If this is your first trip to Mauai, I would suggest you forego the Road to Hana for another time and explore Lahaina, visit Kaanapali Beach and/or take the bike trip down Haleakala. Of course, you can always take a helicopter tour - that way you get to take in the Road to Hana - without the arduous drive.

If you can only take one heliopter tour, however, do it in Kauai - absolutely spectacular. Other "must-dos" in Kauai: Waimea Canyon and Poipu Beach.

Sine you will be in Honolulu for a few days, Waikiki Beach, the Arizona Memorial and the Polynesian Culture Center are already probably on the top of you list. But, my favorites are: watching the sunset on Waikiki Beach and snorkeling at Hanaumu Bay.

You can get lots more information on these ports at our sister site: http://www.hawaiiportreviews.com

Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 08-06-2005, 12:25 PM

Really good advices from Nancy.

But about Maui, if you have the time, book a tour in a van and drive with their driver the Hana Highway. Its correct, most rental cars are not allowed to drive there. Same thing happens for some parts of Oahu, special streets to fabulous attractions are too dangerous for rental cars. Akaka Falls is also a MUST and of course, the helicopter tour on Kauai, including Waimea Canyon and Na Pali Coast.

And when youre staying in Waikiki for 3 days, you can do a lot of things, but as Nancy said, enjoy the sunset and see Diamonds Head from out the beach.

We have been there for 2 weeks for 4 islands, so we had more time, to discover these spectactular islands.

Marita

Closed Thread

Tags
advise, banned, car, cars, coastal, cruise, cruises, hana, highway, kauai, ncl, rental, reviews, road, tour, wind