Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2009, 03:00 PM

Hello to all. New to you and may I say our site.
Nice Site, lots of positive members!
Been reading all I can about cruising from the Southeast to Western Carib.
I have not booked yet. Looks like the NCL Spirit 7 day cruise from New Orleans is to our budget. Being located in East central Alabama the deep FL. cruises are requiring air fare and will almost double the cost.
Most people around our town say to steer clear of Mobile "C". The reviews I've read, not so bad.
I will have a few more questions as time passes.
What is the port in N.O. like? Easy to park?
I'm thinking about the 8th deck for the quite factor. I don't mind spending a few more $$ to make a better trip.
Thanks to ALL.
Wife:52
p.s. since I bought a Tempure pedic mattress I hate leaving home. How are the beds?
Old 11-18-2009, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Welcome to cruise-chat.

Things will be different in Mobile now that the Fantasy is there for a few months, and then will be replaced by the Elation. I love cruising from Mobile. It is a very easy port to access with parking right at the pier.

New Orleans isn't a bad port, but you still have to deal with it being a larger city and also a bit farther drive. They have parking at the port, as well as parking garages nearby.

Cruise ship beds are pretty much like you'd see at a hotel as far as comfort, although most cruise lines have upgraded the covers with duvets, better pillows, etc. I think NCL has done this.

We have a great group of members here, plus two of us on the staff are in Alabama too, so we have first hand knowledge of the logistics of cruising from here.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:41 PM
A new cruise addict is born...

Have a smashing cruise...no matter which ship you decide on....You will just love it....

Bob E
Old 11-18-2009, 08:25 PM

Thanks Y'all.
Looking forward to getting the most for my pennys. I don't mind spending it but I hate wasting money.
Like I say this is our first run. Most of my time at sea was in the engine room of my uncles 46' Hattaras charter boat. Can anybody say "8V71"? Many years ago. Glad he sold that old tub.
I've always heard about how the food is great and wonderful on a ship. After reading reviews, I see some less than satisfied cruisers here and there. I'm 6'4 225 and it takes a lot to fill me up. I got to eat. Was looking forward to a Lobster & King crab buffet.
Any ways, I get along good with people and sometimes think those who write sour reviews might be negative thinking people. I have learned the power of positive thinking.
I've been on forums since that were invented. If I like it here, y'all will see alot of me.
ANy tips on the NCL spirit fell free to jump in there.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:31 AM

Hi GotToGo, welcome to Cruise-Chat! I have sailed out of New Orleans and out of Mobile. We live in northwest Alabama, and drove down the day before when we sailed out of Mobile. We stayed at the Renaissance right across from the port. They had a stay and cruise package, so we were able to park in the hotel's garage. It was very easy. I parked our car, the next morning the shuttle took us to the port. When we returned, we called the hotel and the shuttle picked us up. I got the car out of the garage and headed home I flew in to New Orleans when I sailed out of there, so not sure about the facilities there. However, the port area was very clean.

The beds on board are comfortable for me, but I'm only 5'6", my hubby is 5'8". We have had a few people on this board that were large (over 6' and 250 lbs) and the biggest complaint was the shower. The beds seemed to be ok, except I think I remember one member that was 6'8" that said his feet hung over. (Please, someone correct me if I am wrong). We sailed on NCL Sky last July and the bedding was VERY comfy, to me.

NCL has these sticky buns that are to die for-yumm-o! They didn't have them on the outside buffets, but in the main buffet area (for breakfast). I think NCL's food is VERY good. They have some unique flavors (jerk, cajun, etc.) that are very well done. I've never gone hungry on any cruise

You're right about the reviews. Most people that write bad reviews are mad because some little thing went wrong and they weren't given a free cruise for compensation. So, they get on every board and start blasting the cruise line. Some are legitimate, but few. 99.9% of the time, the cruise line will go out of their way to insure you have an enjoyable, safe cruise. As with any service industry things can and do go wrong, but they try their best to not have it happen.

I want to warn you, cruising is addictive I hope you will become one of the many addicts on this board. None of us want to go for intervention either

Best wishes!
Old 11-19-2009, 12:27 PM

Welcome to Cruise Chat !

Sharing and talking about cruises keeps me partially sane between cruises. I declare myself a Cruise-A-holic and like Penny says, don't want no darn intervention.
Admiral-1988
Monarch of the Seas-1993
Song of America-1994
Majesty of the Seas-1995
Splendour of the Seas-1996
CCL Destiny-1997
Empress of the Seas-1998
Rhapsody of the Seas-1998
Legend of the Seas-1999
Monarch of the Seas-2000
Windstar-2002
Grandeur of the Seas-2006