Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2008, 01:52 PM

I have been considering booking a Bermuda Cruise on the Majesty, but have been rather apprensive. She is quite an old ship, and the pictures I've seen don't look real flattering. I can get over some of the cosmetics as long as it is clean and the food/service is still good. I love the 7 day cruises to Bermuda, and this seems to be one of my only alternatives, so I would be THRILLED with some favorable reviews! (I have previously been on Carnival, Celebrity and RCCL to Bermuda, but none are going for 7 days anymore.)

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 01-31-2008, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Hi jodiroadie. Norwegian Majesty and I have a long relationship...and she's my favorite cruise ship currently in service from the U.S.

True, she's relatively old (I prefer "seasoned"), yet not ancient. She's been in service for about 15 years. We've been onboard four times -- 1994, 2003, 2005, and 2006. Three of those trips were to Bermuda.

Food, of course, is subjective. We've found the service to be excellent on the ship...one of the benefits of a small ship. Many of the crew we've met have been onboard the ship for years, and most seem to take pride in her. As with any ship, there is the constant cleaning, etc.

I wrote a review in 2003. I'll dig it up if you'd like to see it.

What I love about the Bermuda cruises on Norwegian Majesty is that you are in one port for three days, and the experience of going through the Town Cut in St. George is quite exciting. As you know from your prior visits to Bermuda, the port is the destination.

So long as your expectations are in line -- and they seem to be -- I think you'll be OK. Just don't expect to be wowed like you might have been on Navigator of the Seas. She's a fine little ship, and I am going to miss her.

If you do decide to book, I'm more than happy to provide tips on cabin choices. There are some differences future pax should be aware of prior to booking.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:16 AM

Thanks Lisa! I am interested in all the information you can give me. I took a chance last year with RCCL Empress of The Seas (Another older, small ship), and was very pleasently surprised. Although the cabin was horribly small, the ship itself was wonderful. I was so sorry that I discovered it just before they retired her! (Navigator was great, but now that I've done the HUGE ship, I've got that out of my system and I'm happy with the 'smaller' ones!)
I LOVE to dock in St. Georges...and the fact that Majesty STAYS there the whole time is a bonus! It's so peaceful there not to mention she docks directly across from where our old apartment was located--which is quite sad in a way! It was a great time in our lives when we lived there, and we were so young (newlyweds), and we probably didn't appreciated it like we would now!
I would love to read your review, and your cabin suggestions.
Thanks for the help!

Old 02-02-2008, 01:31 PM
Administrator

You're welcome, jodiroadie. Click here for a review I wrote for SeaLetter, a site affiliated with cruise-chat. While this was written nearly five years ago, I didn't notice anything much different from our cruise a year-and-a-half ago in terms of the ship herself. The crew remains phenomenal. And -- I can't believe I'm writing this -- I also thought Freestyle Dining worked well in Bermuda as we didn't have to rush back to the ship for dinner at a set time. The ship, of course, was not built for Freestyle Dining, yet it wasn't so bad to work with.

I wrote a bit about cabin selections in the review, yet am always happy to elaborate. Generally, I'd go for any cabin categories labeled "superior," whether interior or oceanview, for the larger size. I also have a list somewhere of the Deck 7 superior oceanview cabins that have two windows (although they overlook the promenade), and the percentage obstruction of the windows of the Deck 9 suites.

Lucky you, having lived in Bermuda! We enjoy St. George's very much. We have a favorite artist there, who we first met in 1994, and had the pleasure of seeing again in 2006. It's a shame that most ships won't be able to call there in the future.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:22 PM
I'm glad you're standing up for my ship Lisa

She's a real beauty and the fantastic crew makes her soul. I miss her every day.

I really wonder where she will go when NCL sells her.

Old 02-03-2008, 12:01 AM
Banned

NCL has already sold the Majesty to Star Cruises, NCL's parent company, back in late 2004. NCL has been leasing the Majesty ever since.
I'm assuming sometime during late 2009, or early 2010, that the Majesty will join other older NCL ships at Star.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Clark:
NCL has already sold the Majesty to Star Cruises, NCL's parent company, back in late 2004. NCL has been leasing the Majesty ever since.
I'm assuming sometime during late 2009, or early 2010, that the Majesty will join other older NCL ships at Star.
Thanks Ron, I was hoping I could see her over here in Europe, but I guess I can forget that

Old 02-03-2008, 04:23 PM

Thanks Lisa and everyone for your encouraging reviews...Now I have to decide...Do I go ahead and book now for August, or do I gamble and try to get a lower 'last minute' deal if I wait! Last year, I came across a $479 for 7 days to Bermuda on RCCL in May. I know that it will be higher in August, though. On the other hand...it makes winter in Ohio so much more bearable knowing that I have a cruise booked!

Old 02-03-2008, 04:24 PM

Oh, and Lisa--thank you so much for all the helpful information!

Old 02-03-2008, 05:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Svein:
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Clark:
Thanks Ron, I was hoping I could see her over here in Europe, but I guess I can forget that

There's always the possibility that Star will sell the Majesty. They sold the Crown and Marco Polo. There were rumors few years ago that Louis Cruise Lines was interested buying or leasing the Majesty. So anything is possible in the future.

Closed Thread