Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2008, 02:26 PM

Ok was told when I booked for our cruise NCL said no tipping but they do charge $10.00 a day per person for gratitudes isn't this the same thing? Or is it 10.00 a day plus whatever tip a person wants to leave?
Thanks Wendy
Old 03-08-2008, 02:32 PM

Tips are gratuities are the same thing. NCL probably meant you don't have to tip any additional money, other than the $10 per person, per day that they will add to your shipboard account.

Sandy
Old 03-08-2008, 03:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by wendy_woo2:
Ok was told when I booked for our cruise NCL said no tipping but they do charge $10.00 a day per person for gratitudes isn't this the same thing? Or is it 10.00 a day plus whatever tip a person wants to leave?
Thanks Wendy
NCL charges a $10 per day service charge, which many confuse as an auto gratuity. Gratuities usually sre only given to service workers with direct human relations with customers. NCL distributes the service charge to behind the scenes crew members too, those who you may not see and usually will not tip.
NCL also auto charges an additional 15% gratuity on bar bills and spa services, which is more akin to tipping.
NCL doesn't expect you to give additional tips for services everyone receives, but they aren't going to stop you from giving additional tips.

Requesting to have the $10 per day service charge eliminated punishes not only the crew member you felt gave poor service, it also punishes those who gave good service, those you see or don't see behind the scenes.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:46 PM
There is the $10 a day charge per person (well worth all the people who have to split that $10 a day), but if you order a beverage, they also put on there your tip. Still worth it.

Kameo
Old 03-09-2008, 02:26 PM
You may add anything you wish to the $10 a day tip...remember, that is $10 per person per cabin....unless it's a child and then I believe it's $5 a day....You will get your monies worth...if you have BAD service you can go to the front desk and ask the $10 be taken off your charge....I always give my room steward a tip right off the bat on the first day plus his $10 a day tip...works wonders...and I carry $2 bills to give out to the other workers on the ship that I think deserve them....Happy Cruising Wendy....

Bob E

Closed Thread