Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2007, 09:43 PM
Banned

Will y'all forgive my giddiness? Sometimes I just say what pops into my head, and I know that I periodically deserve a penalty chug.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:08 PM

hm.
these posts tend to go really out of hand, don't they...
and, no. i will not forgive your giddiness.
giddiness need not be apologized for.
giddy on! or up, i guess.
chug away!
WOO!
SPRING BREAK!
Old 03-24-2007, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by f-mattox:
I think you may have missed the period after Chef Ken.
He was thanking you but forgiving raffles.

And yes, forgiveness is good.

Alex is certainly putting Dave's to the test tonight, eh?
Bifocals! I should read more carefully and as for missing periods, glad it is no longer an issue in this house.

Dave is energized, I just hope Alex lives up to his promise or Dave will wipe him off the face of this forum.

Thanks Brodie, I think your parents did something good in raising you.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:43 PM
Yes!
Another kindred spirit.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:45 PM
Yes!

Another kindred spirit.

"Giddy on! or up"

This is good stuff.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:38 PM

sorry for the creepiness factor, f-mattox, but i saw your profile, and you made mention of being a musician?
what did/do you play?
do you know if there is much demand for bassists on cruise ships?
Old 03-25-2007, 08:48 AM
Hello BrodieMan13, oddly enough, I played Fender bass and doubled on drums and trombone in one band and played keyboards in several others. I worked on Princess ships from 1974-1978. I stopped playing professionally in 1985, finding myseof in the twilight of a mediocre career.

Every ship has multiple bands--some as many as 5-6--and most use bass players. Most cruise lines' websites have a section on employment; you could make contact and find out what agency they book their talent through. You would probably have better luck getting booked as a band than as an individual--but you could also send an audition tape to the agencies and maybe one of their bands is looking for a bass player. That worked for me.

Best of luck to you.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:54 AM

A man of many talents indeed!

Brodie, I re-read your post and I am thinking that if you want to work on a cruise ship number one, you need to know the kind of hours you will be putting in. They are long days, quarters are cramped and the pay is not great.

Secondly, with NCL's recent troubles, you might want to consider RCCL, Princess etc. I have no idea what their hiring policies are but you could check into it.

Many cruise employees I have talked to say that the work is hard but rewarding. The exposure to many cultures and languages would be pretty exciting.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:23 AM

Brodie....
I'm a 25 year pro from the hospitality industry with many years of service abroad. The ships will work you to the bone. 7 days a week, 12 to 15 hours a day. You will learn a work ethic that will prepare you in such a way that you will be able to handle almost anything. If your a lazy slouch...stop the process now. If your tough and not afraid of work your in for a great time.

The friendships you make during your time will be with you for the rest of your days....and you will soon learn that it makes no difference where your from ...we all have to get along and solve the same problems.

Be patient with the human resource folks...their job is unbeliebably complex. Hiring, training and development at a Hilton in Atlanta is one thing....the ships have a whole different set of hurdles. International crews...visa's and work permits, language issues, security, medical and back ground checks for different country's are all different and take time. If you have a contact, stay in touch with them. Call on Tuesday's and Wednesday's....not Mondays or Fridays. Remind them who you are and where you are in the hiring process.

And finally....do your thing and have fun. The escape from reality will be an awesome experience. Give it 2 to 4 years and get back to school. If you get too complascent...you'll become a "lifer" and before you know it your the guy with 30 years on the ship and nowhere to go at Christmas.

Bon Voyage.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:20 PM
Dan in Winnipeg, excellent post;
You absolutely nailed it!

BrodieMan13--listen up; Dan speaks the truth.

Closed Thread

Tags
employment