Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2008, 07:59 AM

My wife and I are going on NCL Sun in Feb to Roatan,Belize,Cozumel. First time cruise. I've heard that drinks are quite expensive on ship. Any idea as to what they charge? I've heard that a 6pack will run about $25...How are the rooms? We have a superior ocean view room(#8004) on the Viking deck towards the very front(up next to the suites). Do they provide bottled water, or do you pay for that.
We spent a week once in Roatan and loved tabyana beach. Looking forward to returning there. Thanks for any info/tips/hints. Kent
Old 01-24-2008, 12:53 PM
Hi to You,

Yes drinks are expensive....you are right about the beer...you buy a helmet of beer and get one free....drinks start at around $4.50 and up...they do have a drink special each day...bottled water is SOLD on board....as is soft drinks....you can buy a soft drink card for unlimited soft drinks...I can't remember just how much they are....$30 or so rings a bell...You should have a nice room...I've sailed 3 times on the Sun and they have all been nice times...Enjoy your cruise..I leave tomorrow for 9 days on the Pearl....Happy Sailing..

Bob E
Old 01-24-2008, 10:13 PM
Banned

Adult soda card prices have risen lately.
It's $6.25 per day plus a 15% gratuity.
That's a total of $50.39 for an entire week.

The price for a glass of soda and ice is $1.25 plus 15% gratuity.
The price for a 12 oz can of soda is $2.00 plus 15% gratuity.

You can bring your own sodas and bottle water aboard the ship.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:44 PM

Hi MNCruzer,

We are doing the same cruise in March. I hope you'll post upon your return and share your insights/tips. Tell me more about the beach at Roatan. It will be our first time at these ports, but we've been on the Sun twice before. If there's anything else you're wondering about the ship, please ask.
Judy
Old 01-25-2008, 07:39 PM

Hi Kraftsinc,
From what I know, the ships dock in a town called Coxen Hole. Believe me, hole is the RIGHT word there. Roatan is very poor. Anyway, we booked the shore excursion, mainly because I'm not sure if I'd trust the taxi's. It's probably a 20-30 minute drive. I'm probably a pessimest, but I'd hate to miss the ship on the return. That being said, when we were there 6yrs ago, we just drove to the beach and parked ourselves. There was an area roped off for cruiser's with chairs, etc...If I remember, there are a few vendors that show up to sell what they can. There are also a couple resorts there that have bars right on the beach. One thing we'll probably do first is take what they call a water taxi(looks like a small fishing boat) to an area called West End. It's a short trip and costs about 1-2 american dollars. There are alot of shops, restaraunts, and the such there. I'm pretty sure everyone will take american dollars. The exchange rate is around 18 limperas to one dollar so keep that in mind when bartering(yes they will barter). Back to tabyana, I didn't snorkle but my kids did and found it pretty good. All I remember was that the water was clear and warm. Perhaps we'll meet up. When I think of Kraft, I think of cheese, which(being from Minnesota), makes me think of the cheeseheads in Wisconsin....You wouldn't be wearing a wedge of cheese on your head would you??? LOL.....any more questions, feel free to ask, or send private message. 21 days and counting......
Old 01-26-2008, 12:54 PM

Hi MNCruzer
Thanks for the information. No, I'm not a "cheesehead". I'm actually from Ontario, Canada. Kraft was my maiden name and yes, I was teased about the cheese and peanut butter. Thanks for telling me some things about Roatan. We haven't decided what to do at that port yet. We do enjoy beaches so we'll look into something like that.
You only have a little time to wait for your cruise. Lucky You!
Judy
Old 02-03-2008, 01:29 PM

What a great cruise! We just returned on Jan. 26th and loved our honeymoon cruise. Drinks are expensive. Pack what you can to save moola.

Scuba diving in Roatan was great!
Belize--Cave tubing and zip lining--long bus ride for a short trip....all excursions seemed to be overpriced. Recommend bartering with the locals when you get off the ship.
Cozumel...snorkeled with the locals but you could just as easily go to the national park or wander down the strip to snorkel off shore--you'll see lots of snorkelers so you'll know where to go....it'll save you and isn't too far from the boat.

We went to Nassau instead of the island so no recommendations there.

Hanging out in the hot tub is a great place to meet people and also hear about others shore excursions. We stayed on the Viking deck--though I'm a Packer fan by far--and thought it was great. If you want, I recommend calling to see if you can negotiate an upgrade to a room with a balcony if they aren't full.

Oh and for disembarkation, if you carry off your luggage, you can go at anytime.

Have fun! We're already planning our next cruise!

Closed Thread

Tags
aboard, bring, cruise, drinks, ncl, negotiate, nicer, norwegian, review, room, soft, sold, sun, taking, upgrade