Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2010, 08:02 AM

I am planning on booking a cruise on NCL GEM to Bermuda. The reviews have not been very good. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. I have sailed on Carnival, Royal Carribean before & have been very happy.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:05 AM

Welcome to Cruise Chat. It is hard to advise as I don't know what you have been reading in the reviews. I don't pay much attention to reviews, as it's well known that those that want to complain seek out the websites. Many aspects of a cruise are just to subjective. My experience with NCL has always been good.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:35 PM

Hi Smurfette,

I agree with Cruise Fanatic. I've enjoyed all my NCL cruises and I've had one on the Gem and it was great. NCL is different from the other lines mainly in dining, but probably differs in other ways as well.

The Gem itself is beautiful, the staff is very attentive and although food is very subjective, we've always had good to great meals. Look for the sticky buns in the buffet at breakfast time.

Do you have any specific questions?
Judy
Old 10-31-2010, 04:22 PM

Thanks for the info. Any input about the mini-suite? I have always had a balcony, but it is definetely too small for 4. Thinking on doing the mini suite.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:34 PM

The mini suites on the Gem are 231 sq ft and have two queen size beds.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:45 AM

Hi Smurfette, welcome to Cruise-Chat! My suggestion is to sail without any preconceived ideas about anything. I have sailed 5 times with NCL and enjoyed each one. We just returned from the Epic and she is indeed worth sailing on. She is a beautiful 1.2 billion dollar ship. I've not sailed on the Gem, but have heard good reviews from others. Cabins on any ship are small, so with 4, you're going to be a little cramped in a balcony, 3 would be no problem. And depending on the ages of your children, 4 is probably doable. We were not allowed to see any of the suites or mini-suites on our cruise as they had gates that you needed sail and sign cards for entrance. From the outside, they seemed much larger than our cabin, but that could have been an optical illusion.

I totally agree with Kraftsinc, the sticky buns are great! The key lime pie at dessert is wonderful, too!

I believe NCL has the longest time in Bermuda, so that is a plus, too.

I really don't think you'll be disappointed.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Welcome to cruise-chat. I agree with Cruise Fanatic regarding reviews.

We're a family of three (including 16-year-old), and we originally booked a mini-suite on sister ship Norwegian Jade last year. While on the ship, I took a peek into one of them and was surprised at how large it was. "Mini-suite," however, is a misnomer, as it's essentially a larger version of a standard balcony cabin. Still, I would think it comfortable for a family of four. How old are your third/fourth passengers?

Bermuda is a fabulous destination... we've been there several times and are returning (on NCL) next summer.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:41 PM

Thanks for the info. My children will be 16 & 14 when we take this cruise. Did your 16 year old have fun? My son is the one who will be 16 & I know he will have fun no matter what we do, my daughter is the one I am worried about. We have done several cruises before, only once on NCL. I am looking forward to Bermuda & being on NCL.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:17 PM
Administrator

You're welcome. Yes, our son had a good time both on and off the ship. Our cruise was in Europe - a port a day - so it was a busy one. A Bermuda cruise is far more relaxing. Anyway, he almost always stays with us the whole time, and enjoyed the evening shows, the various restaurants, and the pool. While he didn't participate, there's a pretty cool-looking teen center with a juice bar and computers that your teens might enjoy. And, there's so much to do in Bermuda that there will certainly be something for everyone.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:17 AM

As LisaP stated, there is a club for the teens. They have a video arcade, games, and dance areas. If your daughter likes to get involved, you can sign up when you first go on board. They list the events in the Freestyle newsletter.

If your children were younger, I'd say a balcony would do fine. Teens, a mini-suite sounds like a great way to go. I agree with LisaP, there has to be something for everyone in Bermuda. Hope y'all have a wonderful cruise!

Closed Thread

Tags
advise, balcony, bermuda, cruise, customer, gem, jade, mini, ncl, norwegian, october, review, reviews, suite, suites