Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2008, 08:11 AM

My first cruise. Any experienced cruises on this trip?
Old 06-11-2008, 06:01 PM

Wow! What a cruise for your first one! We just got back from this trip and we are still on cloud nine. Don't know exactly what you are interested in knowing more about but I will tell you that the best days we had on this trip were with private drivers. It makes things so much more relaxed and you can see alot more, especially in Rome. The ship is awesome but the itenerary is packed so be prepared to be on the go. Let me know if you have specific questions. Whatever you do, do not miss Sorrento and Positano on your Naples stop. Gorgeous!
Old 06-13-2008, 12:24 PM

I would love to jump into this conversation...I will be sailing in October on this ship. This will make my 11th cruise and I agree..wow, what a first cruise! No other way to go on a vacation! SGSHELLS... would you recommend private tours over the ships? My concern would be the long lines when trying to get into places like the Vatican...the cruise claims to pass all this making it worth the booking. Any advice on what to see in Rome aside from what is offered through them?

Back to the first timer...dont over pack..I always do and never wear half of it. yOU WILL SEE EVERYONE NO MATTER WHAT SHIP OR DESTINATION are lax and comfortable. AND pack Bonine just incase, its non drowsey! and ENJOY!!!!
Old 06-15-2008, 03:37 AM

Sgshells, Yes I'm very excited! One thing I'd like to know is, which restaruants are including in my ticket price? (I've heard that some restaraunts are not included and you'll pay full price to eat there). I haven't booked my excursions yet, but will keep your recommendations in mind. I'll be visiting Italy this month, but not sur is Naples is part of the plan yet. Did you pre-book your excursions?
Old 06-15-2008, 03:44 AM

Kmathi, After 11 cruises, I can't imagine you'd have any surprises. Have those all been on the same cruise line? Does one get "frequent flyer miles" doing that? My concern with booking an excursion on my own, is verifying the company. I know the ones that the ship sponsors have already been "checked out". Thanks for the advice on the overpacking tip! Unfortunately the airline that I'm flying on, has a VERY strict baggage limit. My checked bag limit is about 30 lbs! I'll start co-ordinating the outfits to get maximum use! Is is very chilly at night? (I don't have very much insulation). I don't know what Bonine is, but just added it to my shopping list. ) What has been your fav cruise out of the 11?
Old 06-17-2008, 07:25 AM

Hi Deserie...This is our first European cruise. On NCL many years ago before freestyling. It was very nice. All others have been either on Celebrity or Carnival. Carnival least fav...very pushy with trying to get you to spend money...Celebrity our favorite line so far. Bermuda has been our favorite Destination. This being that we are in port and stationary for several days and able to relax seeing the island as opposed to jumping day to day which can be exhausting. We are prepared to be numb when this one is over.
Yes evenings are chilly on deck but no matter what time of year or where you are but always comfortable inside. Just pack a sweater. As far as tours...we currently have them all booked through NCL BUT are being told by European pro's we have speaking with that most of the ports can easily be handled on your own..much cheaper..and more enriching. ESPECIALLY ROME. At this point we are holding onto our bookings but actively looking into doing things ourself. Especially Malta...looks real easy to get around.
please let me know of your trip when you are back! This will be our first FREESTYLE. Not sure if we are going to like it but we are not going for the ship anyway.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Deserie:
My first cruise. Any experienced cruises on this trip?
Hi Deserie, I see that you are on the cruise now. Hope you are having a wonderful time. I'm sure you are. There's no better way to travel. I would love to hear your thoughts on this cruise when you get back. We are booked on the Gem for Nov 16 for the TransAtlantic back to NYC. We have a private tour for 8 people booked for Rome. We've found that you can see so much more (and spend less) with the private tours. The other ports we are doing our own thing. I like exploring and finding places that the cruise tours don't show you. Come back on and post when you get the chance.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:39 PM

My husband and I are going on Norwegian Gem 8/3. We are curious about opinions about the specialty restaurants. I have heard already that the regular (included) restaurants are really good. Are the others really worth the extra expense? I heard there is a lobster feast somewhere. Know which restaurant? Jezzabell- first European cruise.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:35 PM

Hello Hello...
I just have to put my spoon in to the soup.
We were on Gem and the med in May.
I only took ships tour in Naples (Sorrento) and Villefrance (Eze). In Barcelona, Florence and Rome we used the hop on hop off buses.
In Malta and Naples we just walked around, because the port is so close to the citycentre.
Around trip from Civitavecchia to Rome cost 9 €
and Livorno to Florence it was 16 €!
Doing those cities on your own isnīt hard at all.

jezabell:
We didnīt dine in any extra charge restaurants the main restaurants were jut creat.
The Main restaurant, Magenta, Latin, Bufee had great food.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:25 AM
Deserie, how did you like the Gem? I'm booked for March 2009 Bahamas/Florida on the Gem and I can't wait! Would love to hear what you thought about the ship.

Booked on NCL Breakaway, Feb. 2014
Carnival Conquest, Feb. 2012
NCL Gem, Sept. 2011
NCL Jewel, Feb. 2011
NCL Dawn, Sept. 2010
NCL Spirit, Feb. 2010
NCL Gem, March 2009
RCCL Explorer of the Seas, Feb. 2008
Carnival Miracle, May 2007
Carnival Conquest, April 2006
Caribbean Princess, Feb. 2005

Closed Thread