Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2007, 04:05 AM

We have booked a balcony cabin on the Spirit for a 7 day cruise from New Orleans in December. Our cabin is on deck 10 and located mid ship. Initally I was delighted to have a balcony cabin, but am now having second thoughts. I become uneasy crossing high bridges or standing near a window in a tall building. I want to enjoy this cruise and am wondering if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions.......many thanks!
Old 06-25-2007, 08:12 AM

I know People are getting sick of me already , but here goes. Do the balcony thing . It's a big picture window to the Sea ! you don't have to hang out on it it just adds a lot to your room. Including the warm Sun! If your sitting on the bed looking out , you don't even know that your up on a higher deck . The Ocean seems to meet your window just at the middle of the clear glass Protector. If you have a rough time just being in a building knowing you're on a higher floor , maybe skip the Beautiful Windows.
But stay off Deck Thirteen because there you might really run into some problems. Have a Great and safe Voyage, Lucky !
Old 06-25-2007, 06:24 PM
Banned

By all means, stick with the balcony; or downgrade to an inside dungeon. I mean cabin.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:17 PM
After 18 cruises I think balconies are over-rated...but nice if that's what you want....Just give me a nice window and I can spend the extra money on diamonds, etc for my wife...which keeps her happy until the next cruise.....You will go just fine with the balcony...you can just open it up and enjoy the breeze without having to stand out there...but do give it a try....Happy Sailing...

Bob E
Old 06-25-2007, 08:02 PM
Banned

kcwingwalker:

First of all, after many cruises (17) I agree with Berick1234 that balcony's are over rated. Unless you are in a suite with a large balcony, the balcony space is for two people only with 2 chairs. If you have any fear of heights, looking over the railing or standing next to the railing will most likely give you an uneasy feeling. The positives to the balcony is listed above, large window area to light up the room, a nice ocean breeze to cool or ventilate the room. Otherwise I would take a oceanview cabin anytime. On the Feb 2007 sailing of the Pearl we had a Penthouse suite with a 250 + sqft balcony in Stateroom #9500 Forward, that was awesome as we looked down over the bow of the ship. On the Jewel to the Caribbean we had a rear balcony on Deck 10 and that was scary as the balcony was small, and the lookout and dropoff straight down did not meet my liking. I don't like heights, on the Pearl to Alaska in May we had stateroom #9020 on the side of the ship, and we opened the sliding door, but I did not like the view down.

So, its a tough call. With fear of heights, if you want to pay the extra to get a big window, and a breeze into the stateroom, then get the balcony. Otherwise an unobstructed ocean view with a window, not porthole, will serve the purpose just fine. Afterall, you will most likely be up deck to view the scenery and enjoy the open air. Don't be afraid of the comments to stay off Deck 13 or 14. All cruise ships have high glass walls that give the passenger the feeling of protection and the views are dynamic. I know of no modern cruise ships that do not have the large glass walls on the upper deck to prevent passengers from falling over.

This is of course my own opinion that may meet your views or disagree. You will save money with the oceanview to spend it elsewhere, and most likely that extra money will be used and needed.

Happy sailing and let us know what you decided.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:37 PM
Hi Richard and Mary,

We are going on the Pearl for a 9 dayer in January....We've been on the Jewel, but what was your opinion of the Pearl....Thanks for the info...

Bob E
Old 06-26-2007, 03:03 AM
Banned

Berick1234:

Been on the NCL Pearl twice now since Feb 2, 2007 - 9 Day So Carribbean and the Alaska May 20th, 2007. We are considering her once again for the Sept 23rd, repo from Vancouver to LA for a quick jaunt. The ship is beautiful, the staff terrific in every since. The Pearl has spoiled us as far as cruising. Had Penthouse #9500 in 9 day and that was awesome, had #9020 balcony to Alaska and that was awesome. As NCL Platinum Latitudes, we are always treated royally. Your cruise will be wonderful. The staff will be great, the food will be great, and there is just not much that I can say. I have reviews of both the 9 Day and the Alaska cruise here on cruise-chat.

We are very happy NCL cruisers, and are hoping that I can take my 83 yo father once again in Sept 2007 for the repo cruise. He went with us on the Oct 2006 sailing on the NCL Dream, his first cruise, and got addicted quickly to the style, service and good selection of foods. So he is wanting to go again. At age 83, thats a great sign and tells alot about NCL in general.

I know that you will have a good time. With the Pearl one of the newest ships on the seas, you couldn't have selected a better ship in my opinion.

Enjoy, and I am sure that you will be counting down the days. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. You might want to revisit my reviews.

Richard & Mary
Las Cruces, New Mexico USA

Next cruise:

Pearl Sept 24, 2007 4 day Repositioning Vancouver to L.A.

Diamond Princess Dec 3rd, 2007 14 day L.A to Hawaii back to L.A.

2008- still looking......??????????
Considering South America, New England, Mexican Riveria as possible intineraries. Will be on a NCL ship if and when possible.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:15 AM
Banned

Berick1234:

Here's a quick link to my NCL Pearl review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=568232

Link to 9-day NCL Pearl photoshow:

http://www.photoshow.com/members/dziak2

Richard & Mary
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Old 06-26-2007, 06:38 AM
Thank you for the great review on the Pearl...we also are taking the 9 day caribbean trip in Jan....We like NCL because of the Freestyle cruising and the Staff...We've never had a bad cruise with them...

Bob E
Old 06-26-2007, 08:59 AM

Hi kcwingwalker, welcome to Cruise-chat. The balconies are wonderful. I am petrified of heights, but love the balcony. I get a little panicked if I look straight down, but sitting out watching the sunrise is awesome, when you're departing from a port it's so much fun waving, sitting out watching the sunset is beautiful. It's also great for drying bathing suits and snorkeling gear. I really can't agree that balconies are overrated, in my opinion they're worth every cent. You really wont have any problem with your acrophobia. Best wishes and have a marvelous cruise.

Closed Thread

Tags
acrophobia, balconies, balcony, cabin, cruise, cruising, december, fear, heights, norwegian, pearl, people, rear, ships, small