Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2008, 06:14 PM

I have heard that Mr. Kloster sold his company sometime around the late 1980s to some investment group or another. Is this true? If not, what was the real reason for his decision to sell NCL in the first place?

I have to assume that Mr. Kloster deeply regrets selling NCL to begin with. I don't believe that he would have imagined his company going into decline since he sold it. In addition, Mr. Kloster never thought that the SS Norway would be neglected throughout the years until the boiler room explosion. Probably regrets not doing a full engine conversion to diesel back in 1984 or 1985, like the QE2.

It must really makes him very angery that his beloved ship was forced to the beach by a company that has no regards for anything.

The NCL that he created would never had sent the SS Norway to the scrapyard. Nor would they had neglect the ship and its upkeep.

I know exactly how he feels. The NCL of today is not NCL. It's Star Cruises of America.

Who on earth ever advised Star Cruises to go after NCL Holdings in the first place? Was it Colin Veitch?

Old 01-24-2008, 09:16 AM

The Kloster family started NCL, and Knut Kloster, Jr. was the president. I doubt he's crying over spilled milk too much. He joined ResidenSea, where you have to have a minimum of $5 million in the bank to purchase your suite. I believe it was in the late 1990s.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:34 PM
Banned

NCL went public in 1996.
Star Cruises bought NCL in early 2000.
Apollo Management purchases 50% stake of NCL in January 2008.

http://www.ncl.eu/pressroom/ncl_history.htm

I hope this helps.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MV Augustus:

Mr. Kloster never thought that the SS Norway would be neglected throughout the years until the boiler room explosion. Probably regrets not doing a full engine conversion to diesel back in 1984 or 1985, like the QE2.

The NCL that he created would never had sent the SS Norway to the scrapyard. Nor would they had neglect the ship and its upkeep.

I know exactly how he feels. The NCL of today is not NCL. It's Star Cruises of America.
Hi John,

I have to strongly disagree with you regarding the maintenance and upkeep of the Norway during the years after Kloster left the company. During the 80's and 90's huge sums were spent on her, and with regards to her engineers and their skill they were top notch. Many of them had been on the Norway since she was taken over by NCL, and most of them knew her every single nut and bolt.

When it comes to the report after the boiler explosion I know it states some faults regarding maintenance and inspection of the boiler system. Well - it's always nice to be the one who writes the report after an accident - to be the one who in lieu of all events can easily point out what went wrong. That's the privilege of the report.

All I know is that the funding for the Norway during her entire time was never inadequate, and she had no more "down time" than any other cruise ship.

The Norway was indeed never neglected, and the ongoing and neverending maintenance was kept up to date all the way until she left Bremerhaven in 2005.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 01-28-2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Svein:
quote:

Mr. Kloster never thought that the SS Norway would be neglected throughout the years until the boiler room explosion. Probably regrets not doing a full engine conversion to diesel back in 1984 or 1985, like the QE2.

Hi John,

I have to strongly disagree with you regarding the maintenance and upkeep of the Norway during the years after Kloster left the company. During the 80's and 90's huge sums were spent on her, and with regards to her engineers and their skill they were top notch. Many of them had been on the Norway since she was taken over by NCL, and most of them knew her every single nut and bolt.

When it comes to the report after the boiler explosion I know it states some faults regarding maintenance and inspection of the boiler system. Well - it's always nice to be the one who writes the report after an accident - to be the one who in lieu of all events can easily point out what went wrong. That's the privilege of the report.

All I know is that the funding for the Norway during her entire time was never inadequate, and she had no more "down time" than any other cruise ship.

The Norway was indeed never neglected, and the ongoing and neverending maintenance was kept up to date all the way until she left Bremerhaven in 2005.

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering if you once worked at NCL? If so, how was the management team at that time prior to Star Cruises take over? With all due respect, a dedicated engineering/maintaince team can only maintain a 40 year boiler room units for so long without replacing or retubing them. Please don't disagree with my comments, as I am only stating my opinions.

I still stand by the notion that the SS Norway's remaining boilers should been replaced with disels all the way, in addition to the forward engineroom. Otherwise, prior to the accident, NCL should have sold the ship back in 2000 to another cruiseline. The accident could have been prevented. The journey to the scrapyard should have been prevented. As a result, I will never sail onboard a cruiseship for the rest of my life. My interest with the cruiseship industry dies with the SS Norway!
Old 01-29-2008, 05:32 AM
Quote:
quote:
quote:

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering if you once worked at NCL? If so, how was the management team at that time prior to Star Cruises take over? With all due respect, a dedicated engineering/maintaince team can only maintain a 40 year boiler room units for so long without replacing or retubing them. Please don't disagree with my comments, as I am only stating my opinions.

I still stand by the notion that the SS Norway's remaining boilers should been replaced with disels all the way, in addition to the forward engineroom. Otherwise, prior to the accident, NCL should have sold the ship back in 2000 to another cruiseline. The accident could have been prevented. The journey to the scrapyard should have been prevented. As a result, I will never sail onboard a cruiseship for the rest of my life. My interest with the cruiseship industry dies with the SS Norway!

That's correct I was employed by NCL, my contract with them started just a few months after the Star Cruises takeover and for us who worked onboard there were only minor changes in the daily life.

You're probably right that it would have been a god idea to replace the whole propulsion system while they were at it back in 79/80, but that's of course based on what we know now, in 2008. In 1980 it must have seemed way too expensive to replace steamturbines with diesel, or diesel electric power.

Yes, this accident - along with 100dreds of other accidents - could indeed have been prevented, but sometimes it's very hard to predict what will happen. It's also very hard to predict the condition of a boiler that seems and operates fine.

Never sail on a cruiseship again?? Why?? Even if I cry over the loss of a ship that is very special to me, the cruising industry is getting more and more exciting every day.

SS Norway was special to me because of her history and because of the fact that I worked and lived onboard her for a long time. But in the end - if she's not able to sail the seas like she was mean't for, I rather cherish her memory than see her as some tacky floating hotel somewhere.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:46 AM
Administrator

Quote:
But in the end - if she's not able to sail the seas like she was mean't for, I rather cherish her memory than see her as some tacky floating hotel somewhere.
Svein, I wonder if our paths did cross on SS Norway in 2001, as I recall talking to an officer who gave me exactly this same response! (Of course, it could have been one of many.)

Back to the topic at hand -- as we have another thread dedicated to SS Norway herself -- it is nice to hear that there were only minor changes soon after Star Cruises took over. Yet, I heard in my conversations with crew that the changes that came later with Freestyle took some getting used to. Now, without getting yourself into trouble, of course, was that the consensus when you were onboard, too?

Others -- please chime in, as well, from a pax perspective. In my case, I have only Norwegian Majesty on which to base an opinion, and I have always received great service on this ship that is so dear to me.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LisaP:
quote:
But in the end - if she's not able to sail the seas like she was mean't for, I rather cherish her memory than see her as some tacky floating hotel somewhere.
Svein, I wonder if our paths did cross on SS Norway in 2001, as I recall talking to an officer who gave me exactly this same response! (Of course, it could have been one of many.)

Back to the topic at hand -- as we have another thread dedicated to SS Norway herself -- it is nice to hear that there were only minor changes soon after Star Cruises took over. Yet, I heard in my conversations with crew that the changes that came later with Freestyle took some getting used to. Now, without getting yourself into trouble, of course, was that the consensus when you were onboard, too?

Others -- please chime in, as well, from a pax perspective. In my case, I have only Norwegian Majesty on which to base an opinion, and I have always received great service on this ship that is so dear to me.

Hi Lisa,

Our paths may very well have crossed, I was on the Norway as first officer from july 2000 till june 2001, with some vacations in between.

The Norway never implemented freestyle cruising, I got to know that consept when I transferred to (my all time favourite ship) the Majesty in august 2001. You're right - for the hotel staff it took some time getting used to, especially since Majesty and all the other excisting ships at that time were not built for freestyle cruising at all. Now, i've never been on a "real" freestyle ship to compare, but I guess things are easier there for the crew involved.

My NCL experience ended 5 years ago, and I have no idea how it is to work there today. all I know is that the significant amount of norwegian officers are gone, and that the only "Norwegian" left is in the names of the ships. I just know that I had the time of my life there and that NCL was a great employer as far as I'm concerned. Others with other experiences might disagree with me - this is just my personal opinions.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:57 AM

Hope your new addition is well and happy, Svein. How did your turkey dinner turn out? Are you still sailing?
Old 01-29-2008, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by penny3333:
Hope your new addition is well and happy, Svein. How did your turkey dinner turn out? Are you still sailing?
Thanks Penny. He's doing great! We baptised him last sunday btw, big party, and he behaved so well during the whole thing.

No (thank god) I'm not sailing anymore. was lucky to get a relevant shore job close to home about two years ago. It would break my heart to leave my son, wouldn't think of it

The turkey dinner was a success, you can see a picture of the bird on lido deck

Closed Thread

Tags
accident, cruise, jr, kloster, klosters, kluster, knot, knut, line, ncl, norge, norway, norwegian, photo, ss, u