Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2006, 01:14 PM

NCL uses lies to lure employees onto their ships! My niece has just quit after less than 24 hours onboard an NCL Hawaiian ship. They lied about her salary telling her she would make $350 per week plus tips and that she could be stationed with the friends she trained with. They told her the crew accomodations were small but comfortable and a dozen other outright lies. She travelled for 20 hours with the new employees, was taken directly to the ship where an obnoxious man began screaming at them in front of passengers, went through a safety drill and then told them he'd see them the next day and left without telling them where their cabins were or their bags. After making her way througyh the mouse maze underblley of the ship, she found her tiny cabin and a urine stained mattress with NO SHEETS or TOWELS (!) and was told the laundry was "closed and they could get things the next day." There is no storage for personal belongings and my niece was told to either leave her bag on the tiny floor space to be stpeed on or tripped over or she could put it on her tiny mattress with her as she slept. She was told her wage was $6.50 per hour and her friends were all assigned to other ships.
These employees live like third world refugees!!!
DO NOT be fooled into thinking this is fair or right. NCL has treated these employees like garbage or indentured servants. While you're wolfing down another plate of shrimp, remember that a few decks below you there are hundreds of young people who were essentially tricked into joining the staff of that ship!
Old 08-29-2006, 02:27 PM
I'm sure this is (if the story is even true!!) a one time story and far from the general treatment of new NCL employees. In fact, I know that having served three years in the company, married to another NCL crewmember and knowing dozens of crewmember, not to mention training numbers of new crew every week.

Your niece is probably shocked over the limited facilities, the different rules and regulations and -yes- the working hours are long and hard.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 09-12-2006, 11:25 PM

LOL, Im so glad I found this thread and the [...] who replied in defence of NCL,Well I just returned from "piny point love" as the managers there call it themselves. I have worked in the Cruise ship buisness for 8 years and I am an AB aswell as a holder of a 100 ton masters licence, and thought it might be a good idea to get some unlimited tonnage time with ncl,I was feed all the same BS as all the other possible future crew members. And Im here to tell you dont let your kids work for this company.
My story in short
Went to the job fair hired before he even knew my name, told I would be paid 50 $ a day while in training for 2 weeks and I would stay in a holiday Inn while in Maryland(piny point)and in my off time I could go visit DC. Arrival day at BWI (THATS Baltimore airport for those dont know)about 40 or 50 others there, we were bused 90 miles 2 hrs away to piny point but not a holiday inn but more like a shack with smell of mildew. Anyway we were greeted with I dont know what the recruiters told you but Im here to tell you it is not true, you are going to be paid 50 $ a week and you will be here for 6 weeks and you are not allowed to leave the school ,if you dont comply or complete the program you will be kicked out and will have to fund(and find) your own way home. And to make it worse it was said by a bunch of nobodys with a power trip.Every Monday they fly in new recruits there were 930 crew members in training while I was there ,I had no place to lock my belongings and forced to live with 3 other people who I did not know this is fine but I would rather not leave my belongins behind unlocked with complete strangers.This story is long and aggravating so here is my point!! I have the money to bail myself out of these type of situations it has never happended to me before, Others dont they are being forced in a cruel mental way to stay they course with NCL or they will have to pay for there own way out most do not have the funds to cover the cost of a 90 mile taxi ride to the airport and buy a ticket home!!!
So please if you are a friend or a family member of someone who is thinking of doing this I would strongly urge you to talk them out of this. And if you are a friend or family member of someone who is already there GET THEM OUT..

Oh and here are some other cruise lines that actually value there crew members .
Amercain west
ACCL
Cruise west
Linblad
Safari cruise lines
The Boat company

Sincerly;
Captain Blah
Old 09-13-2006, 10:28 AM
If any of this is true, one simple call to NLRB (National Labor realtions Board) and NCL would be fined BIG $$$ by Dept. of Labor and possibly the SEC.

Not believing these stories
Old 09-13-2006, 04:48 PM
It seems like the training programmes over there in God's own country is somewhat strange.

If you where an experienced AB you should have all the safety training required to join any ship without any pre-training.

Anyway - this is NCL America which I know nothing about. NCL is still a great company for me.

Old 09-22-2006, 12:47 AM

i agree with you!!! i just got back 2 days ago from the pride of hawaii!!! it was the worst experience its all lies! they treat you like slaves, you work so much, so much that the time u actually have off your tired and exhausted and want to just go to sleep instead of going to the islands...these people need to start giving less hours, start treating their employess the right way, u get split up from all your friends you make at training, they treat you like your 10 again...its pathetic maybe if they started treating us right they would stop losing so many employees and start gaining some!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-25-2006, 02:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Biz-Nap!:
i agree with you!!! i just got back 2 days ago from the pride of hawaii!!! it was the worst experience its all lies! they treat you like slaves, you work so much, so much that the time u actually have off your tired and exhausted and want to just go to sleep instead of going to the islands...these people need to start giving less hours, start treating their employess the right way, u get split up from all your friends you make at training, they treat you like your 10 again...its pathetic maybe if they started treating us right they would stop losing so many employees and start gaining some!!!!!!!!!!

Well, welcome to sea! This is absolutely not uncommon in any company. You are there to work - not to cruise - and I certainly hope that anyone that has that idea will either pull themselves together or think of another career. Because finindg that out when you're already onboard is too late.

I have approx 10 years at sea and I can tell you even as an officer my time to "see the islands" have been very limited.

Old 09-25-2006, 04:45 AM

For many people from other countries is a career of last resort. NCL knew full well what they were doing when they petitioned the US congress to allow this exception for those ships. It is disgusting they then resort to this if is true.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:43 PM

I have a feeling that parent company NCL will drop it's NCL-America/Hawaii subsidiary within a year. As per their website they lost $27 million in first quarter and lost $35 mil, 2Q earnings. Well, this could further debate the immigrant labor issue as they they do the work that the majority of Americans simply WILL NOT PERFORM or capable of doing.

Bear in mind, the foreign-flagged NCL ships with it's foreign staff are great overall...compared to US flagged NCL-A

As a 34-cruise veteran & aboard the Aug 26 Pride of America sailing, this ship's overall staff service is unprecedented as way-below-standards while going through industry experimentation. This affected the food quality, amenities and accommodations which give the cruisers an unforgettable travel experience, indeed. Almost all of the ship's restaurants, venues and public places were grossly understaffed. As per online reviews by many past cruisers, this is the unfortunate mark of disappointment on this NCL-A cruise ship. Even with a free Hawaii cruise attraction, good local help is hard to come by nowadays. The allure of "drop everything, surf's up!" possibly contributed to the staff shortage.

To get stringent maritime law exclusions, NCL-A somewhat made a deal with the state of Hawaii that they'll employ American workers instead of foreign workers. Well, it's an experiment that continues to disappoint many cruisers who are used to getting pampered royally by highly appreciative foreign cruise staff at foreign-flagged ships. Interestingly, a large number of staff don't seem to care about cruiser relations. Many are young, ill-trained, unmotivated and can't wait to get off work to enjoy or party on the islands themselves

Imagine going to a Key West Grill restaurant and being served by no more than two workers, a cook & a waiter, that's it. Many public places are unattended amidst the hazardous spills & messy areas. Blocked off sections at the restaurants were a commonplace. However, several hard working and friendly staffers who we had the pleasure of meeting received additonal tips. NCL-A imposes mandatory tipping and many opt out of that idea and give discretionary tips to deserving ones only.

But, this was a cruise seminar/vacation for me and my cruiser fun friends. Besides, NCL-A gave a free-air fare promo enticement. So with a positive mindset, we set aside the drawbacks and enjoy. Just like anything in life, it pays to overpack heavily on positive mental attitude. The great thing is that you only unpack once while visiting Hilo, Kona and a day and a half stays in Kauai & Maui. Extra sightseeing treats include up close ship-side viewing of Kilauea lava flows and the majestic Napali coastal cliffs.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:49 PM

I know it was on a different scale, but American-Hawaii ran the Independence and Constitution for years out of Honolulu with a US Registry and crew. I don't recall hearing nearly the complaints from passengers about the crews. This seems to have gone on for months/years without resolution. Assuming my memories are correct, it makes you wonder about NCL's attitude toward the crew themselves. A hostile workforce can be an ugly, ugly thing for everyone!

Garnett

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruises, discretionary, employees, lies, line, ncl, opt, tip, treats